New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Redundant processors(processing) has really come of age with these new CPUs..... (And you can still actually run 8086 machine codes (x86) on them. It is in their DNA.... )

6303:fetch:

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Redundant processors(processing) has really come of age with these new CPUs..... (And you can still actually run 8086 machine codes (x86) on them. It is in their DNA.... )

Not sure about redundant. Software will always catch up and and make use of the hardware. Take Flight Simulator X for example. There's not a consumer pc yet in existence that can take full advantage of all its features. With the latest service packs, it'll make use of as many cores as you can throw at it. I linked a YT video of that game with 8 monitors (in another thread) and that's just the front view. Imagine how many monitors, video cards, and cpu's (not to mention the electric bill) it'll take for a full 360 deg virtual cockpit mode.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 23rd, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I would rather have 2Gig of RAM and 320Gb HDD rather than have a very fast processor. Windows runs best when it has abundant supply of both physical & virtual memory.

Fortunately I play Devil May Cry 4 on my laptop so if you are not playing games on your laptop or desktop, just buy the cheapest dual core CPU and pair it with high RAM & HDD specs.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I would rather have 2Gig of RAM and 320Gb HDD rather than have a very fast processor. Windows runs best when it has abundant supply of both physical & virtual memory.

Fortunately I play Devil May Cry 4 on my laptop so if you are not playing games on your laptop or desktop, just buy the cheapest dual core CPU and pair it with high RAM & HDD specs.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post

yeah just get a pentium dual core and overclock the hell out of it, i know i did hehehe, 3ghz from a cheap e2160

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I don't think it makes sense to overclock a laptop cpu. The possibility of overheating and early burnout simply isn't worth the risk, especially when most games are gpu-bound.

OT
    While I admire the efforts others take when overclocking, I do have to question if it still is needed. I was among those who first started overclocking the first-gen Pentiums a year before 3d cards first came out retail. Back then, overclocking a P-200/P-200MMX pushed the original 2-d Quake framerates from a laggy 15-18 fps to a smoother 20-25fps. There really was a benefit with overclocking.

Once 3d cards like the 3Dfx Voodoo came along, I quit overclocking because there really was no need. Most games were playable at default settings.

Nowadays, I see these high school/college kids employ exotic liquid cooling just to get as high a framerate as possible and say they have the baddest rigs on the block. It'd be nice if they actually kept and used their pimped out rigs. But, they upgrade everytime a new cpu comes out which is every few months. That's not exactly cheap and neither are the various cooling methods. I suppose they can do whatever they want with their hard-earned cash. One time, I came over to a neighbor's and looked at a kid's new rig. I asked his dad how his kid can afford the constant upgrades. He just shook his head.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    eto ang magandang notebook

AMD Next-Generation Notebook Platform Marks New Era of Mobile Visual Performance

Optimized to enable exceptional HD visual performance and power-efficient mobility, the next generation AMD notebook platform combines the AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor and ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics to meet consumers’ and business professional’s evolving needs for greater visual performance at home, at work and at play.
    More here

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I'd look for an Intel CPU/chipset but with ATI or Nvidia graphics.

The new Dell Studio series laptops seem nice. Very nicely styled, decently spec'd and pretty cheap. I'm looking to get one for myself to replace my aging Toshiba.

http://www.dell.com/studio

Studio 17 = 17" HD widescreen, Core2 + Mobility Radeon 3650, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD for $900.

You'll be hard pressed to find a laptop offering similar hardware for that kind of money.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    IMHO -- AMD and no HPs for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Intel vs. AMD Processors