New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    *jut703 Can I do option 1 without the PATA adaptor?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I thought I had to sign up pa in a technical forum. Andito na pala lahat ng expert! It's a Toshiba laptop. It's very abused na. Natapunan na nga ng half glass of water pero I just kept in a sack of rice for 2 days and it started working again. Di pa naman siya nababagsak. Tingin ko marami na rin virus yung laptop ko. Parating hang and I can't even restart so I just turn it off without shutting down or pull the plug.

mukhang hard dick nga! My laptop hangs a lot and it's so slow! I thought it was a ram problem since I've only used less than 25% of my HD capacity.
    yan na nga ang issue mo. parating hang could be a symptom of spyware / malware (sa madaling salita, virus). bakit parang nag hahang? kasi the perpetrator is trying to find a port and at the same time a network connection para masabihan yung author ng virus na eto ang info, blah blah. kaya mabagal. pag naramdaman na ganun, parang hang, shut down o restart yung pc by improper process. mukhang dumalas, hard disk naman nagka issue. di kasi napapark yung drive head properly kaya may tendency yung drive head na tumama sa platter. imagine yung old school vinyl record player. yung reader niya nasa gitna ng record. nakalog yung player, gumalaw yung reader, kayas yung vinyl record. yung distance kasi ng platter sa drive head ng hard drive is makapal pa ang hibla ng buhok natin. mag simula sa bad sector, bad cluster hanggang sa mag physical error.
    Last edited by erj22; January 22nd, 2013 at 05:26 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by erj22 View Post
    yan na nga ang issue mo. parating hang could be a symptom of spyware / malware (sa madaling salita, virus). bakit parang nag hahang? kasi the perpetrator is trying to find a port and at the same time a network connection para masabihan yung author ng virus na eto ang info, blah blah. kaya mabagal. pag naramdaman na ganun, parang hang, shut down o restart yung pc by improper process. mukhang dumalas, hard disk naman nagka issue. di kasi napapark yung drive head properly kaya may tendency yung drive head na tumama sa platter. imagine yung old school vinyl record player. yung reader niya nasa gitna ng record. nakalog yung player, gumalaw yung reader, kayas yung vinyl record. yung distance kasi ng platter sa drive head ng hard drive is makapal pa ang hibla ng buhok natin. mag simula sa bad sector, bad cluster hanggang sa mag physical error.
    so what are you suggesting then to the poor laptop owner

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Natapunan na nga ng half glass of water pero I just kept in a sack of rice for 2 days and it started working again.
    OT:

Wow, this one I never knew .. hats off to you Cathy!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Product Recovery CD usually for re-installing the OE only like factory out-from-the-box progams, seldom does it contain content-recovery program or similar ghost service. There's high chances that you can still recover the files since the boot recovery option is present, you just need to patch-up the boot files that were corrupted/damaged.

Was the folder My Documents set to private mode? If that is, it will be encrypted and you will not be able to recover the files easily by docking your hardisk to another computer.

Heres additional things you can do
    - Enter BIOS(F1, F2,F12, esc yata sa Toshiba) set boot priority to optical drive, save and re-start. Run recovery CD and look for the recovery using Restore Point. Set the oldest restore point - that will wipe-out all newly installed programs in the registry but will retain your personal files. Do it with caution since one mistake or selecting full-HDD recovery could mean byebye to your files..
    - Try booting on command prompt or DOS shell. That will give you additional options like scandisk,defrag, manual copying of files, some patching of damaged files. This maybe possible using a floppy drive/disc with DOS 6 or higher and some knowledge of DOS, soo old procedure but sometimes helpful.
    - Buy your new laptop. Do a research on how to remove HDD from your old lappy (usually its held by philips or torx bit fasteners).There are video and guides on the net for a tear-down process that usually shows installation is just the reverse of removal. Remove HDD, check the interface type, go to CDR KING and get appropriate enclosure or tool. Plugin the external enclosure to your new laptop and access directory, copy desktop mydocuments, run disk-utility checking tool to fix bad clusters.

That i think are your best options for now, beyond that you need to learn more tech stuff. The risk of losing the file will be high since it will be a trial and error for first timers. I've recovered files of my coworkers laptops and most difficult ones are those with damaged hardisk. I suggest you buy new PC or lappy asap, make your old laptop as backup if you will be able to fix it. Nowdays its practical to maintain 2 personal computer/laptop just for the sake of data backup/recovery.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mukhang hard dick nga! My laptop hangs a lot and it's so slow! I thought it was a ram problem since I've only used less than 25% of my HD capacity.
    am i reading it right?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    haha

nag Freudian slip si Cathy

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Was the folder My Documents set to private mode? If that is, it will be encrypted and you will not be able to recover the files easily by docking your hardisk to another computer. .
    I'm not sure but it's just the default setting. I did not make any changes when I bought my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    That i think are your best options for now, beyond that you need to learn more tech stuff. The risk of losing the file will be high since it will be a trial and error for first timers. I've recovered files of my coworkers laptops and most difficult ones are those with damaged hardisk. I suggest you buy new PC or lappy asap, make your old laptop as backup if you will be able to fix it. Nowdays its practical to maintain 2 personal computer/laptop just for the sake of data backup/recovery.
    I'm going to buy a new laptop this weekend. I really hope I could recover my files. It's so hard because most of the people who are really good in computers that I used to rely on have left the country already. I hate Brain drain talaga!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's comforting to know there is a chance I could still get my old files back

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    am i reading it right?

Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    haha

nag Freudian slip si Cathy
    common typo! lol!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My friend told me that he could try to fix my laptop, just bring my Windows installer, recovery disk and drivers (?). BUT since you mentioned that my data could get wiped out, I am hesitant na. Does that mean I have no other choice but to bring it to a computer shop?
    Depends on what resources/hardware your friend has. And I don't know his plan. If he can connect your old HDD to his computer so he can backup your data, then problem solved. If he can boot up your laptop with a boot-USB drive or Windows-on-CD configuration, he might also be able to copy your files to an external drive. There are many ways to do it.

As for your friend asking you to bring the installer, drivers, etc, I think he is just assuming he can reinstall Windows on your old laptop AFTER safely backing up your data to a safe place.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast