New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hi,
    In most cases a 'product recovery' CD/DVD will restore the computer to the original state when it was first purchased (the OS, Drivers, Applications). You will loose all personal data and applications that were installed after purchase.

how many HDD partitions do you have? if you have ample space left like at least 1.5(GB) of available space on the hard disk you can install another win xp home edition in a different partition not on the onew where the files are located ...after which access the files you need and back them up on your flash drive HTH ;)

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    may tama na yung HD mo dun sa part ng boot disk containing windows kaya di natutuloy ang boot up. happened to me once, on a very old HD. your laptop though may still be serviceable by simply replacing the HD with a new one. here's some steps you can do:

1. boot up windows from a CD, USB or external drive. then see if you can still open your HD. IF the only problem is the boot section of your HD then you may still be able to access your files by booting up windows from another boot disk (i.e., Windows boot up CD).

2. if you don't have a boot up CD or USB drive, then you can use an external HD enclosure. remove your laptop's HD, install it in the external enclosure, then access it using another computer. IF it can still be read then you're lucky.

if the HD can not be read anymore then the only other course of action is to bring it to a very specialized shop who will open your HD, remove the disk and they will then extract the data bit by bit. VERY EXPENSIVE.
    Thanks for the advise. I'm trying to avoid bringing it to a shop because of my private data and I need to save as much as I could since I am forced to purchase a new laptop. The diagnosis alone costs 1.5k to 2.5k already! I could only imagine how much it would cost to extract the data.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by erj22 View Post
    BSOD - blue screen of death? laptop ba? siguro naman di mo nabagsak yan. sundin mo rin yung mga advice ng ibang nag respond. you may also want to check these:
    I thought I had to sign up pa in a technical forum. Andito na pala lahat ng expert! It's a Toshiba laptop. It's very abused na. Natapunan na nga ng half glass of water pero I just kept in a sack of rice for 2 days and it started working again. Di pa naman siya nababagsak. Tingin ko marami na rin virus yung laptop ko. Parating hang and I can't even restart so I just turn it off without shutting down or pull the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by rukawa11 View Post
    marami ang dahilan ng bluescreen pwedeng sa software application or hardware, pag software try mo uninstall mga new application na nadownload mo at ininstall. or restore ka sa date na maayos pa ang lahat, kung hardware naman pwdeng madumi lang ang memory card at need lang linisin, or kung hardisk drive naman baka sira na, malalaman mo kung sira na hardisk drive pag laging nag ha hung at biglang bumagal ang pagandar ng computer mo. try mo palitan HD mo kung ganun.
    kung di mo maopen laptop mo, try mo palitan HD mo tignan mo kung nagana sa ibang HDD. pag gumana ng maayos replace mo na yan, Toshiba laptop mo malamang toshiba din HDD o, yan ang sira ng mga toshiba eh yung HDD nila, ganyan nangyari sa laptop ko nasira agad HDD toshiba, buti nalang may warranty.
    mukhang hard dick nga! My laptop hangs a lot and it's so slow! I thought it was a ram problem since I've only used less than 25% of my HD capacity.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I can't access safe mode anymore. I just want to back up my files. If my laptop will still work after, It'll be a bonus for me na lang.

Yes I'm looking for someone that could help me. I won't try to disassemble the laptop kasi may history ako na hindi ko na mabalik mga binaklas ko

Wow galing!!! I tried the F8 and this is the message that I got:

Attachment 18305

I tried the following options:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Last Known Good Configuration
    Start Windows Normally

But I would still go back to the same blue screen message.

How do I use the recovery CD? I was given 2 disks when I bought my laptop:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Toshiba Satellite Product Recovery DVD ROM (Is this the recovery CD)

All my files are at My Documents and Desktop lang
    Using the F8 command will not really do much at this point because the system's OS is corrupted beyond self-repair without outside assistance. Using the recovery CD will result in the entire HDD getting re-formatted in the process and wiping out all data on the HDD.

The only real best option to simply recover your files is to remove the HDD from the laptop and use a connector so a working PC can read the contents and recover them. The "connector" depends on the type of HDD your laptop has. If it's current tech like SATA, it is as simple as gettng a cheap USB HDD enclosure. But as I have mentioned, chances are it could be using PATA type connector (which is the predecessor of the SATA system). There are PATA/IDE adapters but it might be hard to find one these days. I don't know if there are PATA/USB adapters.

There are many other ways to get your data but it requires someone with a bit of knowledge and some prep work too.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBawang View Post
    Hi,
    In most cases a 'product recovery' CD/DVD will restore the computer to the original state when it was first purchased (the OS, Drivers, Applications). You will loose all personal data and applications that were installed after purchase.

how many HDD partitions do you have? if you have ample space left like at least 1.5(GB) of available space on the hard disk you can install another win xp home edition in a different partition not on the onew where the files are located ...after which access the files you need and back them up on your flash drive HTH ;)
    I think I have that DVD. It says Product Recovery DVD Rom. I have no idea on HDD partitions. I only know that my laptop has an 80 gb Hard disk. I used less than 25% of it.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Using the F8 command will not really do much at this point because the system's OS is corrupted beyond self-repair without outside assistance. Using the recovery CD will result in the entire HDD getting re-formatted in the process and wiping out all data on the HDD.

The only real best option to simply recover your files is to remove the HDD from the laptop and use a connector so a working PC can read the contents and recover them. The "connector" depends on the type of HDD your laptop has. If it's current tech like SATA, it is as simple as gettng a cheap USB HDD enclosure. But as I have mentioned, chances are it could be using PATA type connector (which is the predecessor of the SATA system). There are PATA/IDE adapters but it might be hard to find one these days. I don't know if there are PATA/USB adapters.

There are many other ways to get your data but it requires someone with a bit of knowledge and some prep work too.
    My friend told me that he could try to fix my laptop, just bring my Windows installer, recovery disk and drivers (?). BUT since you mentioned that my data could get wiped out, I am hesitant na. Does that mean I have no other choice but to bring it to a computer shop?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Have you ruled out the possibility that only your boot loader is broken? With the Windows installer CD, there's an option to repair your existing installation if it finds that the bootloader is still repairable.

Though given the way you use your laptop and its sheer age, it's also very possible that the drive is simply just dying. Best to take it out and save all your files before the entire drive conks out. Then you can decide what to do from there - you can reformat, you can try to have it repaired, you can get a new hard drive (a 2.5" 1 TB hard drive would set you back roughly 4k), you can upgrade to an SSD (180 GB SSDs are now only 6.5k), or you can get a new laptop altogether.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My friend told me that he could try to fix my laptop, just bring my Windows installer, recovery disk and drivers (?). BUT since you mentioned that my data could get wiped out, I am hesitant na. Does that mean I have no other choice but to bring it to a computer shop?
    Pag dinala mo yan sa computer shop, you do run the risk of them accessing your files and stealing private stuff (if you know what I mean). Best to have a knowledgeable friend do the recovery for you. Unless you have nothing to hide.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Have you ruled out the possibility that only your boot loader is broken? With the Windows installer CD, there's an option to repair your existing installation if it finds that the bootloader is still repairable.

Though given the way you use your laptop and its sheer age, it's also very possible that the drive is simply just dying. Best to take it out and save all your files before the entire drive conks out. Then you can decide what to do from there - you can reformat, you can try to have it repaired, you can get a new hard drive (a 2.5" 1 TB hard drive would set you back roughly 4k), you can upgrade to an SSD (180 GB SSDs are now only 6.5k), or you can get a new laptop altogether.
    I really have no idea? IT talk sounds greek to me

I've already decided on getting a new laptop but I still need to recover my files. I really don't want to spend so much on the repair of my laptop since my new laptop is an unforeseen expense for me. It would be great if my old laptop could still work so I have a spare laptop. I don't think anyone else would want to buy it anyway given its physical state. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Pag dinala mo yan sa computer shop, you do run the risk of them accessing your files and stealing private stuff (if you know what I mean). Best to have a knowledgeable friend do the recovery for you. Unless you have nothing to hide.
    This is the primary reason why I do not want to bring it to a shop. My college ex used to fix my computer but we're not in touch anymore. Even so, I still have some files that I do not wish for him to see.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I really have no idea? IT talk sounds greek to me

I've already decided on getting a new laptop but I still need to recover my files. I really don't want to spend so much on the repair of my laptop since my new laptop is an unforeseen expense for me. It would be great if my old laptop could still work so I have a spare laptop. I don't think anyone else would want to buy it anyway given its physical state. hehe.

This is the primary reason why I do not want to bring it to a shop. My college ex used to fix my computer but we're not in touch anymore. Even so, I still have some files that I do not wish for him to see.
    If I were in your case here are the things I'd do:

1) Retrieve whatever can be retrieved from the current drive. Any friend with a little technical know-how can unscrew your laptop, take out its hard drive, plug it into his desktop, and copy the files.

2) Get a secondhand hard drive for your laptop. These wouldn't cost you more than 1k, as long as you stick with the smaller sizes (160 GB and below).

3) Get a new laptop. Personally I'd allot 35-45k for this, but if you don't run demanding programs, the basic laptops which are roughly 25k would be good enough for you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast