New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Won't Android just drag it down til it crawls? It's not exactly a light OS.

Our netbook is barely usable with Windows 7. I've already tried several light Linux versions but even those start lagging once I open any web page like Facebook on it.

Our's is this:

Intel® Atom™ N450 processor (1.66GHz)
    250GB HDD
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    10” (1024 x 600) WSVGA LED
    The usual USB, and network ports. VGA output

Thought of replacing the HDD with SSD but after taking the unit apart to take a peek,
    I found that it's stuck tight with lots of double-sided tape adhesive.
    I wouldn't dare open it up again because most of the plastic clips have gone brittle.
    The Toshiba Mini has a dedicated opening for RAM and another one for the hard drive and WiFi module.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Have not liked netbooks from the start and I think they didn't last the test of time.

The form factor wasn't all that useful because the keyboard was too small. They were utterly, utterly slow even when brand new. Even basic MS office would lag if you added animations in ppt or complicated formulas in excel. Don't even think of running Lightroom or Photoshop.

Not even adding an SSD will save you because while you can get quicker boot times, anything that requires processing power gets bogged down.

A smartphone will even outdo it for t0rrent use.

If you need something for basic consumption (browsing, reading, presentations) - an iPad works much better. If you need something for basic content creation (i.e. MS office, coding, photoshop) - shell out the extra money for a legit ultrabook.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    The keyboard of the Toshiba Mini is almost the same size as a dedicated "chiclet" keyboard. The only small keys were the 4 arrow keys. Netbooks weren't designed for intensive work. I used it for five semesters and it did okay with MS Office, Access, MySQL, Java programming. I even used it to render simple movies via Windows Movie Maker and play a few late 90's games such as Quake 2 and System Shock 2. Mine was snappy in Windows 7 because Intel had accelerated drivers for the Intel GMA 3150. Unfortunately, It doesn't have the same support for Windows 10. So, yeah. Now it's slow.

Quake 2 ran fine in Windows 7....as did most 2D games such as Red Alert 2 and Star Control 2. Another game that ran fine was the SP and bot mode of Battlefield 1942.

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 10th, 2020 at 05:10 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    After years of quarantine, i am again using my MS Surface Pro 2. Originally used for travels, I decided to use it as desktop CPU connected to a 27" monitor & wireless kb/mouse. With Intel i5 processor, 4GB ram, it does perform like a desktop running Win10 Pro (upgraded for free from pathetic Win8!). It can even play 1080p hevc videos.

I love this toy!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Do you own a NETBOOK?