New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you own a UMPC / NETBOOK ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 64.00%
  • No

9 36.00%
  • My name is Johnny Mnemonic.

0 0%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ooba99 View Post
    Yup, an ASUS PC 1000H, 160 HD, 2gb RAM. Bought it in the US last October 2008 during my vacation. Got it cheaper there at that time. Used it for a while during my stay in the US. Gave it to my teen daughter when I came home at sobra siyang natuwa.

Oh, well, much as I want to keep it for myself because of portability, but to my dismay, I found out that my hands and fingers were not made for a UMPC, hehehe. Plus screen size gives me terrible headaches because of my above jaeger 4 near vision.
    Have you tried HP's entry into the UMPC market? The keyboard is larger which might be more comfortable for you (I know the feeling because I also have large hands).

As for the screen, if ten inch screens aren't big enough, maybe you simply have set the resolution too high making the fonts too small? Anything bigger than ten inches and that's laptop territory already.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    curiously... why dual boot with XP and Vista? Usually I would head dual boot for Linux and Windows XP. Is there something you are using that requires both versions of Windows? I would think you would have been better off with just either XP or Vista in your AA1 and save the rest of the space for applications and files...

nothing special I just love using both of them.. and most of the time my relatives are using it.. and if other windows crash they can use the other one...my main laptop got Ubuntu Linux and Vista...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Pretty happy so far with my MSI wind 100XP+. It's pretty fast and medyo malaki the keys.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Miting View Post
    i have asus 1000h pero plano ko bumili ng compaq cq40 ngaun kasi hirap ako mag-graphics sa 10" liit
    Well, the point of a UMPC is not to replace your regular desktop or full featured laptop computer. But if you really want to go graphics in your UMPC, you can always connect a big monitor to it through it's VGA port so you don't have to go blind editing on the small LCD screen.

I think that solution would be cheaper than buying another laptop, unless the ASUS 1000 is too slow as well.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 16th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *GH,

How do you find your AAO? Is the 8.9" screen OK?

I am still looking for the perfect netbook for me. Went through the various PSIONs, 200LXs, Jornadas, etc. My family's company in the States even came out with our own version in the early 90s called the Pocket PC (I know, we should have trademarked the name. It sounded so generic at that time.) catering to flight attendants and pilots.

Then for the longest time I was satisfied with the Fujitsu P7010. I carried it around with me wherever I went. Then the Asus Eee PC 701 came out and suddenly the Fujitsu seemed very heavy. I went with the Asus for a while but my eyes got tired fast although its cost, size and weight made it ideal to be brought anywhere.

Then I bought the Astone UMPC when its price was slashed down to P10K. However the tiny pad and angle of the touchscreen makes it difficult for screen navigation. Plus it is excruciatingly slow.

So now I am using a MSI Wind for my netbook. I find the 10" screen much better than the 7" screen of the Asus and the Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, and 160HD are just right for my needs. While it is generally OK, I still find the size a tad too big to carry around.

But Acer recently came out with an 8.9" AAO with a hard drive. I am very tempted to get this. However I am just concerned I might find the 8.9" screen inadequate. In addition, my sons' Acer 5672 laptops broke down quite easily. The first had a system board failure one month after the warranty expired. The second has several malfunctions, including stuck keys. Hence, my hesitation.

Still, I have to say netbooks, with their low prices and sizes, have their charm and certainly appeal to the geeks in us. They are the new mobile phones.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    got the MSI wind u100 for 22k sa pc corner v-mall
    160 gb hd, 2gb ram, 6 cell bat.

so far ok naman mabilis din, well for word processing and surfing

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Bought this one also late last month:

HP Mini Note 1000

CPU: Intel Atom 1.6ghz
    RAM: 1gb (planning to upgrade)
    HDD: 60gb PATA
    Screen: 10.2" 1024 x 600
    Webcam: 1.3mp
    WiFi: 802.11b/g
    USB Ports: 2
    Bluetooth: Yes
    Battery: 3 cell

This was my choice because it had arguably the best keyboard and best build quality of all the Atom netbooks out there.

Was pretty happy with the purchase... till last week HP announced the Atom version of the aluminum-bodied mini note (serialized as 2140).
    How much po nyo nabili & where?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry for the delayed response.. I seem to have overlooked this..

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    How do you find your AAO? Is the 8.9" screen OK?
    the screen is fine. The keyboard is a bit of a squeeze so my typing is back to the older four finger typing but otherwise ok. Boot up (Windows XP Pro) is a bit slow as compared to my niece's LENOVO S10 with 160gig hdd. If you keep the LINUX, it can boot up in under 30 seconds.

Then I bought the Astone UMPC when its price was slashed down to P10K. However the tiny pad and angle of the touchscreen makes it difficult for screen navigation. Plus it is excruciatingly slow.
    The astone is really just a toy. The keyboard & screen are too small for serious use.

So now I am using a MSI Wind for my netbook. I find the 10" screen much better than the 7" screen of the Asus and the Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, and 160HD are just right for my needs. While it is generally OK, I still find the size a tad too big to carry around.
    I find the size of the Wind slightly big but that is what you get if you want a 10" screen. The AAO is smaller because of its smaller screen.

But Acer recently came out with an 8.9" AAO with a hard drive. I am very tempted to get this. However I am just concerned I might find the 8.9" screen inadequate.
    You can use the two finger zoom in/out function via the pointer pad if you need to enlarge the items on the screen. I kinda stumbled on this when I was using my AAO to read a magazine.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 30th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I bought a blue h1 umpc, no issues. Good for occassional surfing, easy to carry around and good gadget to help pass the time. Kept the default linux OS, mostly surfing lang naman.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    planning to purchase one for my mum
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Do you have a UMPC or NETBOOK? (or planning to buy one?)