New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you own a UMPC / NETBOOK ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 64.00%
  • No

9 36.00%
  • My name is Johnny Mnemonic.

0 0%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Disposed of my AAO Linpus Lite for a MSI Wind with Windows XP. Nothing against the little bugger (AAO) but I needed Windows for some apps. Plus, I couldn't install printer drivers on linux properly despite several attempts.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    As with all netbooks wala silang optical drive. Ang tanong ko san makakabili ng murang external DVD-RW drive. Preferably yung USB powered para wala nang adapter pa.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I bought a Samsung DVD/RW optical drive (USB PnP) at Octagon in Mall of Asia for Php 3,500. Pero, di pa 'to lightscribe (feature that allows you to print on face of the cd). Other brands like LG and Lacie have this feature but at a higher price.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks. Meron kaya sa CD-R King ng ganito? You know when we talk cheap I always think CD-R King.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    Disposed of my AAO Linpus Lite for a MSI Wind with Windows XP. Nothing against the little bugger (AAO) but I needed Windows for some apps. Plus, I couldn't install printer drivers on linux properly despite several attempts.
    I replaced the LINPLUS on my AAO 8G with Windows XP SP2. Just connect a CDROM drive via the USB port and install.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    As with all netbooks wala silang optical drive. Ang tanong ko san makakabili ng murang external DVD-RW drive. Preferably yung USB powered para wala nang adapter pa.
    So far I have found no need for an optical drive when using my netbook after installing Windows XP. All files move either through the wireless network or via removable media like USB drive or SD card.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    For now, no. I never use beta OS software since my days of being a certified technical support staff for a certain computer company. Quite happy with Win XP SP2 on my AAO.

Maybe when the release version of Win7 comes out (in August 2009) and proves to be a good OS, I would consider installing Win7 sometime in 2010 (which would be just in time for Win7 SP1 to come out).

Curiously, how much HDD space does Win7 beta consume on the HDD in a typical install?
    AFAIK, 8GB. Too bad, the Asus Eee PC 701 has only 4GB. Don't have the time to try to slipstream it to fit.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ephraim View Post
    i'm planning to buy one, but not exactly the latest model. however, i still do not know what that will be.

i need a very portable machine that i can lug around to wherever i go (lugging a 15", 5.5 pound laptop isn't very nice), and i'm hoping it will give me long hours. i'm planning to use it for mostly typing, since i really cannot avoid cramming for papers and it would be nice to have something small to type notes with, or for coming up with drafts. internet would be nice, but it isn't vital. basically, i'll be playing journalist here.

i want it to be very cheap as well, so used machines wouldn't be an issue. it'll just be for typing after all. i can get used to small keyboards.

currently, i'm eying handheld PCs of 8 years ago. the HP jornada 720 and the NEC mobilepro 900c are attractive options, if i can find good-as-free prices. they're very small and i read that their battery lives can reach 10 hours, although i don't know if that holds true today. the eeepc might be my choice if the price is right. most probably, this will be purchased in the states.

any suggestions?
    i suggest you go with msi wind. iirc the one with 10" screen, 160gb with 6 cell batt and 2 gb memory sells for around 21k. i think the wind has less heat issues.

prices of netbooks in the states are almost the same here. one advantage in buying here is the local warranty.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    AFAIK, 8GB. Too bad, the Asus Eee PC 701 has only 4GB. Don't have the time to try to slipstream it to fit.
    Not sure but does WinXP Home use less space than Pro?

And you don't need to do it yourself. Its possible to download a NLite copy of WinXP from the web via *******.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 10th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jozef_10 View Post
    i suggest you go with msi wind. iirc the one with 10" screen, 160gb with 6 cell batt and 2 gb memory sells for around 21k. i think the wind has less heat issues.
    You sure that price is accurate? From the specs, I would have said the unit would have been priced at at least P24K and up.

prices of netbooks in the states are almost the same here. one advantage in buying here is the local warranty.
    Even the prices of computers/notebooks/netbooks here and Hong Kong are about the same based on what I surveyed from my HK trip last year.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Do you have a UMPC or NETBOOK? (or planning to buy one?)