New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you own a UMPC / NETBOOK ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 64.00%
  • No

9 36.00%
  • My name is Johnny Mnemonic.

0 0%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    planning to purchase one for my mum
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    GH, your AA1 can be as fast as the S10 by simply upgrading to an HDD (or low-latency SDD). They're practically the same machine.

to keep costs low, Acer spec'd the AA1 with high-latency SSDs. Latency is delay. High latency = high delay = slow.

Replacing it with an hdd (zif socket I think, same thing used on iPods) should be easy.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    swordsman: at Villman, Park Square branch. All shops offer the mini note at the same price of 21k at that time.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    GH, your AA1 can be as fast as the S10 by simply upgrading to an HDD (or low-latency SDD). They're practically the same machine.
    I know. But upgrading it with micro-hdds would kinda defeat the purpose of a ultra-cheap notebook pc. Also I kinda love the "no-moving-parts" thingie of SDDs. In fact I have this bad habit of tossing the AAO (while running) onto my bed at night. No danger of damaging the drives.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Anyone wonder why none of the netbook vendors are selling upgrade battery packs for their products like ACER ASPIRE ONE, Asus EEE PC, Lenovo S10, etc?. It's impossible to find six and nine cell battery packs. Hence, if you have a 3 cell netbook, you're doomed to a 2 to 3 hour power limit.

At least I got around it by ordering a six cell battery pack (6.5 hours power time) from an online store. Costs about as much if bought locally, judging on how typical branded six cell battery sells for. There was a nine cell version with even longer battery time (9 to 10 hours) for only $10 more but it sticks out too much from the bottom.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    i'm planning to buy one, but not exactly the latest model. however, i still do not know what that will be.

i need a very portable machine that i can lug around to wherever i go (lugging a 15", 5.5 pound laptop isn't very nice), and i'm hoping it will give me long hours. i'm planning to use it for mostly typing, since i really cannot avoid cramming for papers and it would be nice to have something small to type notes with, or for coming up with drafts. internet would be nice, but it isn't vital. basically, i'll be playing journalist here.

i want it to be very cheap as well, so used machines wouldn't be an issue. it'll just be for typing after all. i can get used to small keyboards.

currently, i'm eying handheld PCs of 8 years ago. the HP jornada 720 and the NEC mobilepro 900c are attractive options, if i can find good-as-free prices. they're very small and i read that their battery lives can reach 10 hours, although i don't know if that holds true today. the eeepc might be my choice if the price is right. most probably, this will be purchased in the states.

any suggestions?
    Last edited by ephraim; February 10th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ephraim View Post
    i'm planning to buy one, but not exactly the latest model. however, i still do not know what that will be.

i need a very portable machine that i can lug around to wherever i go (lugging a 15", 5.5 pound laptop isn't very nice), and i'm hoping it will give me long hours. i'm planning to use it for mostly typing, since i really cannot avoid cramming for papers and it would be nice to have something small to type notes with, or for coming up with drafts. internet would be nice, but it isn't vital. basically, i'll be playing journalist here.

i want it to be very cheap as well, so used machines wouldn't be an issue. it'll just be for typing after all. i can get used to small keyboards.

currently, i'm eying handheld PCs of 8 years ago. the HP jornada 720 and the NEC mobilepro 900c are attractive options, if i can find good-as-free prices. they're very small and i read that their battery lives can reach 10 hours, although i don't know if that holds true today. the eeepc might be my choice if the price is right. most probably, this will be purchased in the states.

any suggestions?
    Eight year old computers might be cheap but it also means you are using eight year old computer parts which might die at any time. Electronics aren't meant to last forever and transistors do have a certain operating life as well as other critical parts like the LCD screen and hard disk.

The current batch of UMPCs are affordable. How much is your budget? DO you have any eye problems were you need contact lenses or glasses to read printed matter (like newspaper/magazines)?

If you need long battery life, the Asus EEE PC 900 or 1000 UMPCs might be your best bet as they have one of the longer battery life rating as well as bigger battery option. The screen sizes are 8.9 inch and 10 inches respectively.

The EEE PC 701 is simply too small to be practical. The 7 inch screen and small keyboard really makes it difficult to use, especially when you have options for units with bigger screens like the Acer Aspire One 8G.

The Acer Aspire One (or AAO) came out with two basic models. The low and high end models. The low end AAO costs P12K while the high end is around P22K. The basic features are Intel Atom 1.6Ghz CPU, 8.9" screen, 1 gig ram, two SD slots, 3 USB and weights roughly two pounds. The low end AAO has 8Gig solid state HHD, 3 cell battery (good for 2.5 hours) and comes with LINUX. The high end AAO has a 160gig HDD, 6 cell battery (good for 5 to 6 hours) and comes with Win XP Home.

The low and high end AAO units do have a performance difference (under Windows XP) because the 8gig solid state HDD is slow in writing data. But if used with the Linux version it came with, it is pretty speedy.

BTW, one major advantage of solid state HDD is there is no moving parts. You can shake the AAO 8G even if you have it running with no fear of damaging the hard disk.

The Lenovo S10 is another choice but might be a bit more expensive, priced at P24K to P26K depending on which store you inquire from. The features are Intel Atom 1.6ghz, 1gig ram, 120gig hdd, 10 inch lcd screen, 1 sd slot, etc and either 3 or 6 cell batteries. I have found a pink Lenovo S10 for P25K (cash) with 6 cell battery for my niece. She adores it. You might like it too but you might prefer the white or black units because the keyboard is better spaced as well as a more conventional touchpad/button layout.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 10th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *GH,

Any plans of installing Win7 on your AAO?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So far PC Corner seems to be having a good promo for the Acer Aspire One:

http://www.pccorner.com.ph/laptops.d...ty=0&x=45&y=10

Various models:
    http://www.pccorner.com.ph/products....productid=4651

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    *GH,

Any plans of installing Win7 on your AAO?
    For now, no. I never use beta OS software since my days of being a certified technical support staff for a certain computer company. Quite happy with Win XP SP2 on my AAO.

Maybe when the release version of Win7 comes out (in August 2009) and proves to be a good OS, I would consider installing Win7 sometime in 2010 (which would be just in time for Win7 SP1 to come out).

Curiously, how much HDD space does Win7 beta consume on the HDD in a typical install?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Do you have a UMPC or NETBOOK? (or planning to buy one?)