New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you own a UMPC / NETBOOK ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 64.00%
  • No

9 36.00%
  • My name is Johnny Mnemonic.

0 0%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    MSI wind user here... sobrang mura eh... mukang oks naman 1 month na sya sa akin...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    I have this one. Anyone know how I can change the OS from Linpus to XP? I have an XP installer but I dunno how to load it using usb. Can someone give a walkthrough?
    I installed Windows XP SP2 into my AA1 (acer aspire one) via CDROM using IDE/USB connector.

The CDROM drive was an internal drive salvaged from an old PC. IDE/USB connector bought from CDRKing more than a year ago.

TO install, you'll need to go to the BIOS and set the boot up sequence to boot from USB drive before the onboard HDD. After that, its pretty much a typical WinXP install. BTW, choose FAT32 and not NTFS for better performance with the AA1 with 8gig SSD.

The AA1 drivers are available on the web. I suggest downloading and burning them to a CDR so you can install the drivers via the CDROM drive as well and later store the disc in case you need to reinstall windows in the future.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    ^^ Ive tried that on aspire one and ssd is so slow..better upgrade to hdd and maximum memory before running windows..

My current umpc is msi u100, 2gig ram, 320g hdd..tried using for one week without turning off and it never quits..

I find msi more ergonomic, and easy to tune..Easy to open with just 6screws less latch and all internals are accessible. I find touchpad buttons of hp minis and aspire one awkward..Asus seems to be solid(tried opening 900 and 1000) but i dont like the shape and built..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jatcos View Post
    ^^ Ive tried that on aspire one and ssd is so slow..better upgrade to hdd and maximum memory before running windows..
    Given I just paid only around P12k for it, it's not a bad price given everything else was in the P20K range.

There are a lot of support for people to install Windows XP in their Acer Aspire One 8gig SSD units which includes tips how to increase the performance from such a low priced portable computer.

But if you rather spend a bit more money, there are other options including the Lenovo S10 with it's 10 inch screen and big capacity hdd.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    12k wow thats good deal..Bought mine summer last year and upgraded hdd and ram myself total cost reached almost 30k.. Ive tried Fat32 w/Windows prefetch disabled on 8g AA1 and peformance/speed on basic applications is tolerable, somehow still below my benchmark.

Waht i liked with msi is rambus that could accomodate 1gig (total of 2gig max),good thermal dissipation(cool underneath)-AA1 used to radiate heat on the keyboard as ive noticed and some heat underneath..Only complaint with msi is the wobbly feel of the hinge.

Ive also worked with the Asuses but i hate the flatiron-like underneath..HP's, pass muna used to have phobia with instability and thermal shutdown.. IBM - i liked the cardbus-tv tuner card option is slim, and stash card is cool..

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    My smallest laptop is my Nokia E-90.

:eat: [SIZE="1"]4079[/SIZE]

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    eeePC 701 4G

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Yup, an ASUS PC 1000H, 160 HD, 2gb RAM. Bought it in the US last October 2008 during my vacation. Got it cheaper there at that time. Used it for a while during my stay in the US. Gave it to my teen daughter when I came home at sobra siyang natuwa.

Oh, well, much as I want to keep it for myself because of portability, but to my dismay, I found out that my hands and fingers were not made for a UMPC, hehehe. Plus screen size gives me terrible headaches because of my above jaeger 4 near vision.
    Last edited by ooba99; January 15th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I got aspire one... I upgraded ram .. I managed to removed 512 chip and replaced by 1gb.. Loaded with dual boot.. XP and Vista home basic..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BackSpace View Post
    Loaded with dual boot.. XP and Vista home basic..

curiously... why dual boot with XP and Vista? Usually I would head dual boot for Linux and Windows XP. Is there something you are using that requires both versions of Windows? I would think you would have been better off with just either XP or Vista in your AA1 and save the rest of the space for applications and files...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Do you have a UMPC or NETBOOK? (or planning to buy one?)