New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Totally agree on cloud redundancy.
    I lost considerable amount of files because of a bad drive.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    I'm thinking of setting up a home NAS for my personal and work files. RAID data protection would be great.
    It would be based on the DiskStation DS418j plus 6TB HGST drives.

On the other hand, I just ordered a couple of 2TB SATA SSDs, so those might fit the bill for my desktop PC for the moment.

Any suggestions or tips for setting up a home NAS?
    For the RAID setup, you can use the RAID calculator to know how much usable space you need, it is on synology website. RAID5/SHR is enough for most usage. You can make it RAID6/SHR-2 if data is important, you lose 50% capacity that can survive 2 disk failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentt View Post
    For the RAID setup, you can use the RAID calculator to know how much usable space you need, it is on synology website. RAID5/SHR is enough for most usage. You can make it RAID6/SHR-2 if data is important, you lose 50% capacity that can survive 2 disk failure.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll be going with RAID 5, and just back up my critical data daily on external SSDs. I'll just be using a 4-disk array, so space would be at a premium.

Ideally I'd have another NAS on RAID 10, but I'd likely do this only when my critical data is about to go over 2TB.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the tip! I'll be going with RAID 5, and just back up my critical data daily on external SSDs. I'll just be using a 4-disk array, so space would be at a premium.

Ideally I'd have another NAS on RAID 10, but I'd likely do this only when my critical data is about to go over 2TB.
    Yup just look up the model of your NAS. RAID 10 is for performance, are you going to run write intensive application?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentt View Post
    Yup just look up the model of your NAS. RAID 10 is for performance, are you going to run write intensive application?
    Yes, a small local database with high availability and redundancy. I may even try storing some games, if the performance is acceptable

I'm thinking of getting the Synology DiskStation DS418j which should support most common RAID types.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Hehe my fantasy and sci fi book collection alone is 1tb . Downloaded over the years from an obscure site. And yes some of these are digitized comics so the file sizes are heavy. Though most of them are just novels in MOBI or PDF or Epub formats. Cant read them all which is a shame.

... 20TB! I thought my 5TB worth of files were a lot

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by EQAddict; August 14th, 2018 at 11:56 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I noticed that heat is the biggest enemy of hard drives and the associated electronics. My drives are all piled up on top of one another with their power supplies all spaghetti like beside them. A mess if you ask me. Thats probably the reason for their high mortality and failure rate.

Ideally i would have a proper rack for them. But thats going overboard.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    I noticed that heat is the biggest enemy of hard drives and the associated electronics. My drives are all piled up on top of one another with their power supplies all spaghetti like beside them. A mess if you ask me. Thats probably the reason for their high mortality and failure rate.

Ideally i would have a proper rack for them. But thats going overboard.
    This might help. I saw it browsing through Lazada. It's a simple enclosure, USB interface, no RAID, no software. Just plug and play. I think it has cooling fans at the rear.

The downside is it makes your external drives a lot less portable, not to mention the hassle (remove the individual enclosures, fitting them to 2.5"-3.5" adapters, etc.)

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Interesting though you have a point about removing existing drives from their current enclosures. Will take a pic of my messy setup later.

Last edited by EQAddict; August 15th, 2018 at 09:25 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    4tb ultra bought. I hope its fast Computer and Laptop Tech Thread

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast