New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Recently drove my Mirage hatchback through flood because of the rains last Dec 25. The water wasn't too deep - mga hanggang bottom edge lang ng pintuan. Medyo bothered lang ako kasi while driving through water, may mahinang tunog na parang loose fan belt (that screeching sound) from somewhere under the floor. Pero pagka-ahon sa tubig, nawala naman.

Where could the sound have come from?

BTW, CVT tranny. I drove the car the day after and everything felt normal. No problems sa shifting and braking. Ano ang dapat kong ipa-check?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
    did you switch off your ac before going deep?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Recently drove my Mirage hatchback through flood because of the rains last Dec 25. The water wasn't too deep - mga hanggang bottom edge lang ng pintuan. Medyo bothered lang ako kasi while driving through water, may mahinang tunog na parang loose fan belt (that screeching sound) from somewhere under the floor. Pero pagka-ahon sa tubig, nawala naman.

BTW, CVT tranny. I drove the car the day after and everything felt normal. No problems sa shifting and braking. Ano ang dapat kong ipa-check?

it's probably a slipping belt. serpentine.. aircon.. it was slipping because it was wet.
    nothing to worry about, as it goes all back to normal when dried up.
    well, maybe check and tighten up the suspect belt afterward if needed, is all.

what else to do? check my post above, # 78. back then, i also drove my car in ondoy's heavy flood, with water also up to the car doors.
    of course, my car back there was an innova.
    heh heh.

i was lucky. after more than ten years afterward, innova still runs well, with no problems.

when in doubt, drain and replace (engine, trans, diff oils) or clean and re-pack (wheel bearings and brakes).
    if you are lucky, you wouldn't see that oil + water really looks like coffee from nescafe 3-in-1.
    good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 27th, 2019 at 10:54 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013

Malamang nabasa yung pinakamababang bearing mo kaya dumulas yung belt.

Nung natuyo yung belt, ok na.

Quote Originally Posted by KotZie69 View Post
    How effective is this?
    IMO... I think you can call it "old school" nowadays.

Been doing it since my college days... twice ko tinawid sa Espana yung 90's Lancer ko noon.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Salamat sa mga response.

Di ko na maalala if the ac was on but it probably was because my windows weren't fogging up. Ano ang magiging issue pag buhay ang ac? Other than the usual pa-maintenance, wala pa kong experience sa mga pa-repair.

My take away from all your replies is to have the brakes and wheel bearings checked and cleaned. Check belts na rin. Sasabay ko na rin pa-underwash.

CVT fluid rin pala.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I don't remember the last time I saw a car bearing na pwede linisin/lagyan ng grease...

Most are sealed. kapag umingay, palit na kagad, walang repair.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Salamat sa mga response.

Di ko na maalala if the ac was on but it probably was because my windows weren't fogging up.
    when the AC is on, the big fan in front will be spinning because it has to cool down the condenser.

when that water hits the fan blades, the blades could go south or the motor can trip the fuse and you could be stuck somewhere with an overheated engine. seems like you didn't go deep enough.

I'm thinking that the dual fan setup of the honda city is abit higher from the ground. honda city nga ba bro?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    when the AC is on, the big fan in front will be spinning because it has to cool down the condenser.

when that water hits the fan blades, the blades could go south or the motor can trip the fuse and you could be stuck somewhere with an overheated engine. seems like you didn't go deep enough.

I'm thinking that the dual fan setup of the honda city is abit higher from the ground. honda city nga ba bro?
    Does the Mirage have 2 separate fans or 1 variable speed?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post

It wasn't too deep I think because I didn't hear water sloshing against the bottom plus I made sure to drive slow enough to avoid splashing. Mirage hatch ang kotse.

Thanks for that bit of info. I wouldn't have thought that that's the danger of driving through deep water with the a/c on. Akala ko ang magiging problema is it would suck water in.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post

1 fan lang. It's variable speed AFAIK.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post

haven't seen the engine bay of the mirage.

It wasn't too deep I think because I didn't hear water sloshing against the bottom plus I made sure to drive slow enough to avoid splashing. Mirage hatch ang kotse.

Thanks for that bit of info. I wouldn't have thought that that's the danger of driving through deep water with the a/c on. Akala ko ang magiging problema is it would suck water in.

just switch off the ac next time. its just less than 5 minutes going slowly sa floods.

as for the fluid changes. I don't think its necessary. the cvt unit has a breather just on top of the air box(air filter) if you remove that air box and its dry then its not necessary to replace the cvt fluid.

I just hope the cvt level port is closed real well. thats one way water can get inside the cvt unit. though i'm not sure if you've got one.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789