New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm not sure if this is the one my friend worked for. I can't find his old emails. But, I'm certain it is....

http://www.trendwestern.com/

or maybe it's this one.

http://www.dyn-intl.com/law-enforcement--security.aspx

It's kinda hard to nail down because there are subcontractors within the umbrella.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Problem with that is I never enlisted so I don't have the requirements to apply for those programs.

That link you posted is helpful, thanks. They have a contract with the base I am staying at the moment.

I've checked Dyncorp already and may consider that if I can pass the physical and the background. But I think it's time for a career change.
    Last edited by redorange; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:46 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Problem with that is I never enlisted so I don't have the requirements to apply for those programs.

That link you posted is helpful, thanks. They have a contract with the base I am staying at the moment.

I've checked Dyncorp already and may consider that if I can pass the physical and the background. But I think it's time for a career change.
    Well, good luck to ya. Here's another two links if you don't have it already.

http://www.cpol.army.mil/

It's got GS and NAF positions, I considered them myself when I retired. They would've been my second option if I didn't make it in the private sector. Then there's of course, USAJOBS:

http://www.usajobs.gov/

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Jun, how big is the demand for HVAC techs in your area? Just called Wyotech and I may consider enrolling there since they said they do job placements for their graduates. I really like to go into automotive but it's a longer course and more expensive. Damn maybe I can make this a career change for something I will enjoy doing for once.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    [SIZE=1]What's a good business to start in the Philippines?[/SIZE]

If you'd like to live longer and die happy, stay in the 'States. I've been to CA and NV last summer, and I didn't want to go back here. If only I graduated earlier, I would've stayed in SoCal to study again and maybe acquire a working visa sometime in the future. The Philippines is just f*ck*d up, and I don't want to stay here any longer.

"...life has changed for me in the US but back at home man life was a mess..."
    -Apl Song

But if you insist on investing in the Philippines and make the government richer, you can set up a chain of internet cafes around Metro Manila. That's a sure way of making money, provided that the location is feasible and safe.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Jun, how big is the demand for HVAC techs in your area? Just called Wyotech and I may consider enrolling there since they said they do job placements for their graduates. I really like to go into automotive but it's a longer course and more expensive. Damn maybe I can make this a career change for something I will enjoy doing for once.
    We're living in NY state right now. A/C isn't a big concern. Temperatures rarely go above 80F/27C during summer. But, heating is a very big deal. Here, we get 150-180 inches of snow a year and temperatures can drop to -18F/-28C. Brrrrr . I'd say we need the heater from October to the end of April. We'll see. This will be our first full winter here.

We still have our house in AZ which is being rented out. So, that one's paying for itself. There, A/C is a very big deal because temperatures are above 100F/38C for much of the year. We just spent $500 two weeks ago to get the A/C fixed.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 3rd, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Damn maybe I can make this a career change for something I will enjoy doing for once.

Life in Hell comic series by Matt Groening.

This image is often used by job counselors as a way to break the ice.

This was my wake up call when I seriously started doubting my career choice but circumstances (recession) kept forcing me back to it.

If your current job affects all other aspects of your life then there's no point torturing yourself. Good luck and I hope all will turn out well for you.
    Last edited by Negus; September 3rd, 2009 at 09:55 AM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    *Robert_Minosa-- You obviously only visited here and haven't lived here. The grass only seems greener in the other side until you get there and find out it was only spray painted green. You think life here is all milk and honey with apple pie, but once you are here and realize that there are bills to pay and responsibilities in order to be able to live here it becomes just like any place else on Earth. Sorry to hear that you see no hope for the Philippines but I have always thought there is hope for the country. Yes it's corrupt and polluted but what have you done to try and change things? I've always wanted to go back there since the late 90's but now may be the time to do it to do something there.

*Jun--Thanks Jun. I thought you were still in Arizona didn't know you moved to New York. But the info you provided has been helpful since my cousin was telling me the the HVAC industry is were I may want to look into for my career change.

*Negus--Wow that looks like me going to work everyday. I used to joke that I went to work only to look forward to my next day off.

Thanks all for your comments good or bad. For now I am looking at enrolling at the American Hospitality Academy in Makati to study culinary entrepreneurship(6 months of culinary arts and 2 months of entrepreneurship). It's at least a start for me in starting a restaurant that I have always wanted to do. I'll talk to family members in trying to get more capital for the venture.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    ^ Iisa kayo ng sinasabi ng barkada ko na nagwork dyan.. when we first heard that he was coming home for good, we asked him if he was still right in the head..Ayun andaming sinabi...in the end we were all singing manila by hotdog..

His parents btw are retiring from their business and offering it to him...so ayun nagaantay nalang ng citizenship, ibebenta na lahat ng sasakyan, di na din daw siya magbabayad ng mortgage ng bahay, wala na din siya paki dahil wala na din daw value

Iba pa din daw ang Pilipinas with all the kabulukan and stuff..

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    *Robert_Minosa-- You obviously only visited here and haven't lived here. The grass only seems greener in the other side until you get there and find out it was only spray painted green. You think life here is all milk and honey with apple pie, but once you are here and realize that there are bills to pay and responsibilities in order to be able to live here it becomes just like any place else on Earth. Sorry to hear that you see no hope for the Philippines but I have always thought there is hope for the country. Yes it's corrupt and polluted but what have you done to try and change things? I've always wanted to go back there since the late 90's but now may be the time to do it to do something there.
    I didn't stay at a hotel, but yeah I stayed in a US suburb for only a month. But the way I see it, I must be stupid if I thought that life in the US isn't better than here in the Philippines. I'm not stupid, ignorant, or naive enough to see just what's good. I've also seen what's bad in the US. And what's bad in the US is still relatively better than what we have here.

I didn't imply that there's no hope for the Philippines, it just happened that I'm just 20 and I don't want to waste the rest of my life being cheated by pretty much everyone here. There is hope, but I'd want to get away from trouble before I get old. And considering that more than half of my extended family is in the US (7 uncles and aunts plus grandma and N number of cousins) and none of them are having troubles with the same gravity as what my family experienced here, I'd certainly choose to go there. And yes, there is hope in the Philippines, but only for the rich. I'm not rich, so I'd better do something else than rot here. This isn't bitterness or pessimism. This is the plain truth.

And please don't think that I never tried to change things. I follow the rules, I try to tell my friends to do the same, I teach my young cousins what's right, et cetera. I can't change everybody, and I certainly can't change the whole country. And it's tiring to do what's good when everyone else just laughs at me and make me look bad. Believe me, good people like you and me probably have no place in the Philippines. Pity the good Filipinos. Blame cultural defect.

[SIZE=1]ps The car on my avatar is dad's car in case anyone was wondering if I'm rich or not.[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
What's a good business to start in the Philippines?