New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Things have come up and we may have to move to the Philippines. I'll have some money from selling some of our things but not a lot, just enough to send my daughter to school for 1 year and maybe start a small business. Still debating if my wife will enlist in the military here and I will just go to culinary school there in the meantime before coming back here or if we will just relocate there to start over again. If the second option happens then I need a way to support my family so I thought a business would be the best way to go. What's a good small business to do? Capital will be around the Php500K mark depending on what we have left after the move. Not much I know but things happen and I have to work with what I've got.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Have you asked your daughter how she feels about it?

What I mean is, the welfare of your child takes priority over everything else in this big move. Think hard, pre.
    Last edited by Negus; September 2nd, 2009 at 08:48 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    RedO, a lot of us here want to leave the Phil. and migrate to somewhere else, if given the chance. Why go back to the Philippines?

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Redorange, Us based ka ba? Ganyan din dilemma ng barkada ko pauwi na din for good, nurse siya sa Cali. Good thing may family business sila dito, pero nagiisip din ng iba pang business kasi siempre pandagdag..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Things have come up and we may have to move to the Philippines. I'll have some money from selling some of our things but not a lot, just enough to send my daughter to school for 1 year and maybe start a small business. Still debating if my wife will enlist in the military here and I will just go to culinary school there in the meantime before coming back here or if we will just relocate there to start over again. If the second option happens then I need a way to support my family so I thought a business would be the best way to go. What's a good small business to do? Capital will be around the Php500K mark depending on what we have left after the move. Not much I know but things happen and I have to work with what I've got.
    I'm not sure what situation you're in. But, you have a lot of options including a lot of programs for veterans....... I'm sure you've been to TAP class or whatever they call it now. I'd take advantage of them.

It's something to consider before making such a potentially traumatic move. My parents did the same thing and it was pretty traumatic for me. I wouldn't put my daughters through it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Bro., that is a tough choice you're about to etch. Good luck, bro. Am here in Metro Manila and sadly, I could not recommend to you a business to get you by....

8505:bat:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Also, with your specialty (if I'm correct), your skill set* should be in demand. I have a friend who had a job lined up at a security firm even before he retired. The catch is these jobs still have fitness and marksmanship standards (plus some weird schedules). But, you looked young and fit in previous photos.

*One of the few that's holding up well in these hard times.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    just be careful dealing with govt people

when they find out you're a balikbayan and you're planning to start a business... you're Santa Claus

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My daughter knows about the possible move back and she has no issues with it, she still has friends in her old school she is in touch with up to now. As far as why move back when everyone is coming here? Well shelter and food for my family comes first and we have a home we can stay in over there and the money will also last longer there. The govt people probably won't know about my status since I speak fluent Filipino and I plan to get dual citizenship.

My father-in-law left an orchard in Mindoro that he was starting but unfortunately he passed away and now nobody is caring for it. I was thinking of maybe doing something with that but not sure exactly what.

I now believe things happen for a reason, all last week I kept thinking of what I would do if I just resigned because I was dreading my job and didn't enjoy it anymore. Now, a week later I am in a position in which I am looking at resigning because of a situation that has happened. Maybe it's God's way of telling me to go ahead and pursue what I want to do? Which is why the culinary school option came up and my wife actually suggested it since she knows it's the one thing I enjoy. However, to make it work she would have to get a better job and the military option came up because she has had two friends enlist in the past year.

Now I am thinking of what my cousin said to me a few years back when I told him I always long to go back to the Philippines, "Bayabas ka kasi hinde ka mansanas kaya gusto mo bumalik dito"

*Jun--Unfortunately I am not retired military so the veteran stuff is out of the question. What firm is your friend working in?

*oliver--My wife has a friend also doing the same thing.
    Last edited by redorange; September 3rd, 2009 at 12:58 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    My daughter knows about the possible move back and she has no issues with it, she still has friends in her old school she is in touch with up to now. As far as why move back when everyone is coming here? Well shelter and food for my family comes first and we have a home we can stay in over there and the money will also last longer there. The govt people probably won't know about my status since I speak fluent Filipino and I plan to get dual citizenship.

My father-in-law left an orchard in Mindoro that he was starting but unfortunately he passed away and now nobody is caring for it. I was thinking of maybe doing something with that but not sure exactly what.

I now believe things happen for a reason, all last week I kept thinking of what I would do if I just resigned because I was dreading my job and didn't enjoy it anymore. Now, a week later I am in a position in which I am looking at resigning because of a situation that has happened. Maybe it's God's way of telling me to go ahead and pursue what I want to do? Which is why the culinary school option came up and my wife actually suggested it since she knows it's the one thing I enjoy. However, to make it work she would have to get a better job and the military option came up because she has had two friends enlist in the past year.

Now I am thinking of what my cousin said to me a few years back when I told him I always long to go back to the Philippines, "Bayabas ka kasi hinde ka mansanas kaya gusto mo bumalik dito"

*Jun--Unfortunately I am not retired military so the veteran stuff is out of the question. What firm is your friend working in?

*oliver--My wife has a friend also doing the same thing.
    You don't have to be a retiree to take advantage of these programs. You could've been active duty for as short as what, 90 days? Take the new GI bill. If you take a full semester's worth (must be a degree course), you also get the equivalent of an E-5 BAH. If there's an accredited college in RP, you could use it there too. Things like that. The VA's for veterans, not just retirees. It's a common misconception that it's for retirees only. Look into it, buddy. Think outside the AF and consider the other branches, a lot of opportunities could open up.

As for my friend, he's working for a contractor that provides security at various sites in NV. Heck, I wish I was a cop. My friend would've gotten me in. I wanted to go back to NV. It's my home state, after all.

But, like they say, "Home is where the jobs are"......so very true.

Well, you seem to have a plan. Good luck and make a go at it. But, consider the other options I mentioned.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:25 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
What's a good business to start in the Philippines?