New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Things have come up and we may have to move to the Philippines. I'll have some money from selling some of our things but not a lot, just enough to send my daughter to school for 1 year and maybe start a small business. Still debating if my wife will enlist in the military here and I will just go to culinary school there in the meantime before coming back here or if we will just relocate there to start over again. If the second option happens then I need a way to support my family so I thought a business would be the best way to go. What's a good small business to do? Capital will be around the Php500K mark depending on what we have left after the move. Not much I know but things happen and I have to work with what I've got.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Have you asked your daughter how she feels about it?

What I mean is, the welfare of your child takes priority over everything else in this big move. Think hard, pre.
    Last edited by Negus; September 2nd, 2009 at 08:48 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    RedO, a lot of us here want to leave the Phil. and migrate to somewhere else, if given the chance. Why go back to the Philippines?

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Redorange, Us based ka ba? Ganyan din dilemma ng barkada ko pauwi na din for good, nurse siya sa Cali. Good thing may family business sila dito, pero nagiisip din ng iba pang business kasi siempre pandagdag..

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Bro., that is a tough choice you're about to etch. Good luck, bro. Am here in Metro Manila and sadly, I could not recommend to you a business to get you by....

8505:bat:

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Also, with your specialty (if I'm correct), your skill set* should be in demand. I have a friend who had a job lined up at a security firm even before he retired. The catch is these jobs still have fitness and marksmanship standards (plus some weird schedules). But, you looked young and fit in previous photos.

*One of the few that's holding up well in these hard times.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    just be careful dealing with govt people

when they find out you're a balikbayan and you're planning to start a business... you're Santa Claus

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Things have come up and we may have to move to the Philippines. I'll have some money from selling some of our things but not a lot, just enough to send my daughter to school for 1 year and maybe start a small business. Still debating if my wife will enlist in the military here and I will just go to culinary school there in the meantime before coming back here or if we will just relocate there to start over again. If the second option happens then I need a way to support my family so I thought a business would be the best way to go. What's a good small business to do? Capital will be around the Php500K mark depending on what we have left after the move. Not much I know but things happen and I have to work with what I've got.
    I'm not sure what situation you're in. But, you have a lot of options including a lot of programs for veterans....... I'm sure you've been to TAP class or whatever they call it now. I'd take advantage of them.

It's something to consider before making such a potentially traumatic move. My parents did the same thing and it was pretty traumatic for me. I wouldn't put my daughters through it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    What's a good small business to do? Capital will be around the Php500K mark depending on what we have left after the move. Not much I know but things happen and I have to work with what I've got.
    Glad to know that there are still Filipinos like you who'd like to come back and give this country a go. The brain drain should be reversed, even if it comes in baby steps. P500K can finance various businesses but it all depends on your attitude, interests, know-how, etc.

Businesses can range from franchising, handicrafts, agri-biz, car custom shop, etc. but choosing the right one will start from assessment of your capabilities. You might want to try checking out the Go Negosyo web site at: http://www.gonegosyo.net/ for tips and suggestions.

Good luck and may your tribe increase.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Oliver, Mile2, speed unlimited, and Jackflash. I appreciate the information you provided.
    Last edited by redorange; September 3rd, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

What's a good business to start in the Philippines?