New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    A one month stay here doesn't show you much on how life is in the US. Like I said it's only greener until you step on the grass and find out it's only spray painted. Here if you can't pay rent you get evicted, in the Philippines the landlord needs the barangay to approve the eviction which is slightly less painful than a root canal. I'm not saying life in the Philippines isn't hard but what I am saying is life in the US isn't what you are expecting and isn't as forgiving. I have seen multiple Pinoys come here and have a hard time adjusting because America wasn't what they quite expected. What you see on TV and what you experience from a months vacation is nothing like what it's like to live here. I speak from experience of having lived in both countries but what do I know I'm only twice your age and have lived in the Philippines and the US. You're right life is crap there and it's all a bed of roses here.

Maybe instead of urging your fellow Pinoys from abroad to leave you should encourage them to come back and bring back some of the knowledge they learned to improve the country. One problem with the country is most anyone with a brain leaves and goes abroad and that leaves the idiots/thieves running the country. Maybe instead of discouraging Fil-Ams like me from coming back you should encourage us and maybe the brain drain will stop so that idiots/thieves will stop running the country.

BTW the thread is about getting information on what business to start and not what you feel is wrong with the Philippines, if you want to start a thread about the crappy life in the Philippines you are more than welcome.
    Last edited by redorange; September 3rd, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Bro, there are only two option the the filipno need today :
    1. Food Bussiness
    2. Apartment rental
    Im a former United states Army . All of my family in the states . American citizen . I prefer here in the phil. Im happy , Im the boss . I have an apartment rental . And other bussiness . I think this is the only bussiness that people need a house And food for daily leaving . Just think it first .Its an investment . Just my suggestion.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Food business is one good choice.

You can also venture into health and beauty center like parlor or spa, big initial capital but small monthly maintenance/payroll and no spoilage.

Same goes with laundry and dry cleaning service business big initial capital but small monthly maintenance. It was featured in GMA TV, one of the Survivor Philippines participant (Nanay Sita, oldest participant) went to Laundry business for initial capital of P250K.

Children day care center and school is also very good business, my sister started only with tutorial classes, then started a kinder school, now she owns a school for elementary and high school.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    What's a good small business to do? Capital will be around the Php500K mark depending on what we have left after the move. Not much I know but things happen and I have to work with what I've got.
    Glad to know that there are still Filipinos like you who'd like to come back and give this country a go. The brain drain should be reversed, even if it comes in baby steps. P500K can finance various businesses but it all depends on your attitude, interests, know-how, etc.

Businesses can range from franchising, handicrafts, agri-biz, car custom shop, etc. but choosing the right one will start from assessment of your capabilities. You might want to try checking out the Go Negosyo web site at: http://www.gonegosyo.net/ for tips and suggestions.

Good luck and may your tribe increase.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    A one month stay here doesn't show you much on how life is in the US. Like I said it's only greener until you step on the grass and find out it's only spray painted. Here if you can't pay rent you get evicted, in the Philippines the landlord needs the barangay to approve the eviction which is slightly less painful than a root canal. I'm not saying life in the Philippines isn't hard but what I am saying is life in the US isn't what you are expecting and isn't as forgiving. I have seen multiple Pinoys come here and have a hard time adjusting because America wasn't what they quite expected. What you see on TV and what you experience from a months vacation is nothing like what it's like to live here. I speak from experience of having lived in both countries but what do I know I'm only twice your age and have lived in the Philippines and the US. You're right life is crap there and it's all a bed of roses here.

Maybe instead of urging your fellow Pinoys from abroad to leave you should encourage them to come back and bring back some of the knowledge they learned to improve the country. One problem with the country is most anyone with a brain leaves and goes abroad and that leaves the idiots/thieves running the country. Maybe instead of discouraging Fil-Ams like me from coming back you should encourage us and maybe the brain drain will stop so that idiots/thieves will stop running the country.

BTW the thread is about getting information on what business to start and not what you feel is wrong with the Philippines, if you want to start a thread about the crappy life in the Philippines you are more than welcome.
    Bro, your right My father wanted me to go back in the states i told him im already stablish here in the phil.and enjoying my life with my family . When i go back in the state .I will work everyone in the the state need to work for a leaving. And note not every who go to U.S. is succesful in life.
    Here in the phil. as long as you have money it is happy to leave here.
    compare in the state you are pressure on your time, work. and everyday leaving if you come from scratch. No body will help you there only your relatives but not for a long time as you expected.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Oliver, Mile2, speed unlimited, and Jackflash. I appreciate the information you provided.
    Last edited by redorange; September 3rd, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Well that's kinda saying that I know nothing and only learned by watching TV and I don't have the right for my own opinion based on my own experiences. That means my own experience is irrelevant to the discussion and I shouldn't make my own conclusion.

For the record, I never mentioned anything about urging anyone to leave. My relatives left the Philippines way before their lives could become crappy. I wasn't even born yet during that time.

I don't like posts like this. People have to be realistic, some people like this country, some people don't. And there are less people who want to start a business here without remorse. Just leave or take whatever my opinion is. Take it, and it serves as a warning. Leave it, nobody gets harsh arguments. Maybe that's the cutural defect.

I respect your opinion on how crappy life in the US is, and you're equally free to make a thread about it.

Good luck on your future business.

BTW, a large internet cafe costs around 200k and if placed well enough, can pay for itself in about a year. It just needs to be in a secure location or provided tight security.

-unsubscribing-

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    As perhaps true in any business in whatever country, you need to learn the cycles. Food business is a very competitive and you really need to find your niche. And you can never tell what's the next big thing since there are so many innovations and creativeness in the industry. It is relatively easy to get in and that's why so many are into it. I think with the number of culinary schools sprouting in country churning out thousands of mostly well-to-do graduates I can only imagine that many of them won't find easy employment and would opt to start their own.

Still if you're keen on going into the food business, you might as well check the franchisers (but beware of the pretenders, though). The key would still be location. Malls are ideal for small cart business (sorry, but 500K is not that much even in the Philippines) but lease contracts are usually for a year or so, whether you're making a profit or not. Plus, the usual headache with low skill low pay personnel

Internet cafe also have a low entrance fee which explains its proliferation but if you procure only legitimate softwares you're competitive edge could only come from divine providence.

As to your father's farm in Mindoro, I also have a few hectares in Oriental planted with hundreds of fruit bearing lanzones, rambutan and coconut trees. Recently, the one leasing the farm asked for a year of free extension because of the poor harvest the past two years. Peace and order are also getting worse there because of a very vicious rebel leader there. Which is much the same story in many farming communities here.

Actually, if it were not for the security concerns in the province I myself would rather go back to farming and leave my corporate life. Farming is still, to my mind, the most noblest of all profession. And by the way, organic farming is one emerging trend here that you might also want to check.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *Jun--Thanks Jun. I thought you were still in Arizona didn't know you moved to New York. But the info you provided has been helpful since my cousin was telling me the the HVAC industry is were I may want to look into for my career change.
    I used to be a plumber once with the majority of it being the maintenance type vs construction. So, I've worked side by side with carpentry and HVAC folks. Times are hard all over. I'm not sure if you want to work independently or if you want to join a shop/contractor. If you wish to transition to HVAC, try to go to where there's a huge segment of senior citizens (FL and AZ tend to have a lot). Still, competition will be tough.

Or, if you plan to stay in the US, try to gravitate towards Army bases. This is one thing I found out. AF and Navy bases tend to have personnel specifically geared towards maintenance. Army bases don't. Their personnel are geared to train and fight. So, competition for jobs on base isn't as tough. I think that still holds true.

My wife's nephew from the Philippines got a contract as a DODDS teacher with the Army. They sponsored him and helped him find a place to live. Plus, they gave him an opportunity to become a permanent resident/US citizen with his position becoming full time. That was under Bush Jr. though. I doubt the new administration will be as generous to Pinoys, based on past trends during the Clinton years.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 3rd, 2009 at 06:54 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    OT

It's hard to be idealistic sometimes about the Philippines. You want to keep the hope up. But, the empty stomach and the apathy your eyes show you tell you otherwise. So, I can't blame people there.

Just the same, people shouldn't lose hope. I view it in the same way as the parents of an errant child. Losing hope isn't an option. Me not being born there, I had the option to close the door behind me after I returned to the US. I almost did but didn't. Besides my wife's, I have my blood, my kin, my friends who lived in the Philippines. I care about them. Turning my back on RP would be turning my back on them and I can't do that. So the vigil will go on and on and on.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 3rd, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
What's a good business to start in the Philippines?