New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^ I agree with you badluk. I am sure not all fraternities have bad reputation the fact the reason they are not in the news. Media loves sensationalized and crime stories kaya pabalik-balik un pangalan sa palaging sabit sa gulo. Dapat hindi frat ang tawag sa kanila kundi kulto parang sputnik, sige2, batang city jail, etc.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. Medyo naka hinga rin knowing my son is not the type who craves attention from the outside. Palaging sumasama sa amin pag weekends kasi libre daw. Pag sa bahay naman, basta may Dota at LOL, ayos na. I think parents too may be responsible when such things happen because they did not give their kids enough attention (and probably love).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Definitely NO. Kalokohan yang hazing na yan or the "psychological test" daw.

Sagot ko lang sa kaibigan kong noon eh... "Sige sa isang kundisyon, ako naman gugulpi sa inyo after nyo akong ma gulpi."

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Fratman (greek letter, UP Diliman) here and please do not generalize.

I joined my present fraternity for the ideals it embodied.

Likewise, maganda din ang connections.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    This will definitely stir up the hornet's nest ...

Are Masons a frat group for grown ups?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    replace the word "gangs" with "frats"

Gang Alternatives Program (GAP)

Some reasons include:

A Sense of "Family" - Young people might feel that they don't receive enough support or attention at home. They may be trying to escape a negative home life, or may be looking for a father figure. Gangs often make promises to give unconditional support, and to become the "family" they never had.

Need for food or money - Gangs may present themselves as a means of survival to youth who lack basic essentials such as food, clothing and shelter. More and more, gang members use their affiliation to make a profit through illegal activities, such as selling drugs and auto theft.

Desire for protection - Communities with high gang activity often see young people join a gang just to survive. It is often easier to join the gang than to remain vulnerable and unprotected in their neighborhoods.

Peer Pressure - Kids and teens face constant pressure to fit in, and they may not have the support they need to avoid the pressures to join a gang. Peer pressure can come in the form of intimidation, coercion, a dare, harassment, friendly persuasion, or repetitious begging.

Family history or tradition - Families can have gang involvement spanning over multiple generations. This is one of the toughest forms of pressure to escape, as the gang lifestyle is deeply rooted in family traditions and values.

Excitement - Some young people get a rush out of defying authority, or committing crimes. They may be attracted to the gang lifestyle, as it lives outside the law and participates in many illicit behaviors.

To Appear Cool - Gangs have mastered the art of manipulation to attract potential recruits. They wear the latest fashion trends, throw the hottest parties, and drive the coolest cars. They can appear to have the 'perfect' lifestyle to a young kid who's looking to fit in somewhere. The offer an image of "cool" that has been glorified by the media and entertainment industry.

same thing
    Last edited by uls; July 7th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    This will definitely stir up the hornet's nest ...

Are Masons a frat group for grown ups?
    grown up men are still like teenage boys who have a need to belong in a group

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    Fratman (greek letter, UP Diliman) here and please do not generalize.

I joined my present fraternity for the ideals it embodied.

Likewise, maganda din ang connections.

Bro, I believe somebody made the stereotype comment but not me. No offense meant but I am just trying to understand the rationale behind joining a frat so I can provide my son the proper perspective should he decide to join one someday. That being said, can you share your reasons for becoming a frat member and the positive results for being one? If I am convinced, I might even encourage my son to join so he can outgrow his love for online games!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    man has a tendency to form groups

i think it's called tribalism

it's an evolved response to the threat of intergroup violence that was common in ancient human environments (still common today actually)
    Last edited by uls; July 7th, 2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: prehistoric to ancient. i like ancient. ancient sounds better. ok?!!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Sa school wala ganyan eh, bawal, pero dahil tumatambay ako sa Up dati, may nag-alok din pero I just politely turned them down.

I think kung ang frat walang hazing, that's a good sign. Yung tipong alipin ka nga lang or katulong sa bahay, may ganun nga kasi na initiation ilang barkada ko dito. Pero yung hazing, hindi ako naniniwala dyan.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Back when I was in school, my cousin asked me for advice as it seems that he was being recruited by a frat. I jokingly told him that I'd spit and pee on his grave if ever he died from hazing or in one of the inevitable gang riots.

He thankfully declined the offer and he's now an accomplished surgeon working abroad.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Is Fraternity/Sorority A Must in Schools?