New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    get the SUV if you have already dreamnt of having one ... or else the "what if's" will get vocal as your sedan ages hehehe

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Practical SUV --> Range Rover

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    wow i didn't expect to get these many answers. thanks a lot guys. so far most of you do recommend getting an suv lalo na because of our roads and floods. but it seems the "practical" choice for my lifestyle would be a compact suv. di lang ako sure kung kaya niya yung mga baha dito sa metro. and since reliability is a major factor for me i'm leaning towards getting a brand new unit instead of a 2nd hand one. which brings me to my next question (sorry kung makulit): which would be the most value for money compact suv. been eyeing the mazda tribute over the crv mainly for looks and power. can any of you guys enlighten me if this is a wise choice? thanks again in advance. mabuhay ang mga tsikoteer!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    Practical SUV --> Range Rover
    Basta hindi gen2.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I heard the X-trail is nice riding and fast.

The Escape M/T has terrible foot ergonomics (at least for me).

That's pretty much all I know about compact SUVs.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Yes I got the Mazda Tribute 2.3 last September and so far no regrets. Really drives like a sports car, fuel consumption 7.5-8.5 km/L, 60-40% hiway-city driving ratio, excellent suspension (bested only by the escape), etc.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Tribute and the Escape have the best suspension and handling in the class. Get the 2.3, as it has just the right power and okay fuel economy. I've been hearing things, even from the US, about the fuel economy of the current 3 liter V6... and it's not as smooth as other V6s anyway... might be worth waiting to see if they bring in the new 3.5 V6 in the future if you're a power freak, but the 2.3 is okay, otherwise.

For reliability, nothing beats the CRV, obviously, but fuel economy of the 2.0 and 2.4 are also so-so. And I don't really like the handling at the limits. The AWD isn't a necessity, and it won't let you go off-road seriously (open differentials, eh?), so mainly it just wastes gas and money. Spacewise, the CRV and Tribute/Escape are on the large end for traditional CUVs.

The X-Trail is nice and soft-riding. There are some questions about the longevity of the new QR compared to the old SR series, but that's a concern only for boyracers ( ) and shouldn't affect the X-Trail. It has the best AWD system of all CUVs on the market right now, but it's not for serious off-roading either.

The Outlander is a nice car that is often overlooked. Okay, I guess, if you can get past the nose...

The Tucson is pretty nice, inoffensive looking, and those looks grow on you the longer you look at it. Not the best ride or handling, but acceptable, and the only diesel available for CUVs. Not much luggage space, though. The Tucson probably has the best fuel efficiency of the class, even in gas, because of the small size and availability of manual transmissions.

Note that none of these cars will ford a flood much better than a car. Once water gets in through the doors, your ECU is history. They can ford maybe two feet of water, but any more risks seepage into the cabin and electronics. For true flood resistance, you need a tall full-frame SUV with the ECU positioned at least at glovebox level.

If you get a CUV, you might as well stay home during floods. Even if you can ford one successfully, there are a lot of things that could go wrong with the vehicle afterwards.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfox
    most of the benefits i've heard about driving an suv is basically the space and mostly the "porma".
    add:

higher driving position which means better visibility
    higher clearance which is better suited for RP roads
    better passive safety
    4X4 versions will take you through varied terrains
    usually better for towing...ano pa nga ba?

ah, my SUV saved me $$$ on motel bills, kasi you can fold the back seats and easily sleeps 2. :naughty:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT
    ah, my SUV saved me $$$ on motel bills, kasi you can fold the back seats and easily sleeps 2. :naughty:
    Puwede din yan sa Jazz...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Puwede din yan sa Jazz...
    Really? :evillaugh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
are SUVs still a practical option these days?