New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    you could go with the b20 turbo combo, pro i warn you malakas sa gas tong engine na to. if you want something for reliable daily driving, you may want to stick with a normally aspirated engine sir

i'd go with sir niky's suggestions. yng hatch ng barkada namin was getting 180+ at the wheels from theses mods :
    engine management (sorry sir niky VAFC para sa b16)
    lightened flywheel and clutch from ACT
    an aggressive chip for the ecu(nkalimutan ko na yng brand e, sorry)
    full free flow exhaust (4 into 1 headers with therma wrap tpos scav muffler)
    cold air intake
    the cams, crank and head were blueprinted, balanced and polished(no porting was done though), all valves were also given an angle cut
    a new set of lighter underdrive pulleys
    and you will need to upgrade the brakes din, di kaya ng stock brakes yng power upgrade e

this should help release your engines' potential, total namin was less than 70k, hati hati p kmi ng tropa nun kse ginawa naming project car yng oto nya. tumagal lng ng konti sa head work and clutch kse yun lng hindi bolt on. the rest we were able to do on our own

best part was it still drives like a normal car, medyo mas matigas nga lng yng clutch.aim kse nmin was to have a car that can be driven comfortably pro palaban. daily driver din kse nya yng oto e. plus we were still averaging over 10kms per liter sa city driving

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    The top speed of the stock SiR is around 210 km/h or so.

If that's not enough for you, you can go the full exhaust route (get surplus headers), get engine management (andaming SAFC na available) and maybe a set of secondhand cams. Each job can be done quickly (in a day or so) so you won't have the car off the road for too long. And get some good brake pads. At the end of that, your car should be capable of hitting 220-230 km/h, and you won't have spent more than 50k pesos.
    50k seems to be an awful lot of money for a top speed difference of only 10 - 20 kmh.

IMO, better to spend it on a good A/V system for the car, since the TS wouldn't be feeling the 50k mods anyway, given the condition and traffic in Metro roads. Sa NLEX, nanghuhuli, tapos the SLEX is undergoing construction along certain stretches.
    Last edited by Galactus; October 11th, 2007 at 08:59 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A 20 km/h top speed difference is a big thing. As speed increases, wind resistance increases rather dramatically... for an added 10% to your top speed, you may need about 30-40% more power. For 250 km/h, I reckon you'd need about 220 hp or more on the Civic.

50k is actually cheap.

If you want a little kick, you can spend as little as 30k for some really crappy crush-bent pipes from header to muffler.

We've been looking at my cousin's SiR... Ferman of Speedlab suggests a secondhand Type R exhaust as a cheap option... 12k from midpipe to muffler... and it's quieter than many aftermarket systems. Should provide a 5-10 hp kick. Unfortunately, secondhand name-brand headers still cost about 20k. Brand new costs about 30 - 40k, but that's good for 10-15 hp off the bat.

VAFC na pala? Hehehe... sorrry... but if you're getting engine management, IMHO, you don't need the VAFC anymore... many of the better engine management systems can do the job better, with a 2-D map (throttle position + rpm) versus the per rpm only map of most AFCs (but if the VAFC can do it, already, then it's fine).

The only issue with the naturally aspirated route is: to make big numbers, you'll have to sacrifice what little low-rpm torque the B16 has in pursuing a freer-breathing system... that's where the B20/B16 "Frankenstein" swap comes in... giving you extra displacement, extra power and tons more torque... but unless your motor was about to conk out and your crank is wobbling like old spaghetti, I wouldn't recommend going to those extremes...
    Last edited by niky; October 11th, 2007 at 04:27 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayoldchick View Post
    i have only 1 car, i want a reliable everyday driven car. i have no time visiting the talyer month. everywhats ok? b16 turbo nalang or palit block to b20 then turbo. hindi naman ako mkikipagdrag. 70% street 30%expressway. need top speed 2
    I'm just curious though on why do you need a turbo. If it's an everyday driven car, why upgrade to turbo? Just for top speed? Get a better car say a Civic SiR with it's stock b16a engine. SiRs gives a decent punch, and I agree with somebody who mentioned better breaks. You can reach speeds up to 200km/h+ but how do you stop that if the brakes can't handle it? It'll be dangerous for you and your car too. If you do have budget for your engine, then at least for the brakes and high performance tires w/c are costly. Mind you, your engine's life will be shortened drastically when compared to stock form when boosted due to the high temperature that it shouldn't normally experience. If it's a toy car, a weekend warrior why not? If it's your everyday ride from point A to B, just get a engine that has a higher output and runs on N/A.

Just my opinion.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    "The only issue with the naturally aspirated route is: to make big numbers, you'll have to sacrifice what little low-rpm torque the B16 has in pursuing a freer-breathing system"

actually ito yng napansin namin. since daily driven yng oto,we eventually changed the headers back into a 4-2-1 design to improve low and mid rpm torque. and dahil we didn't have a lot of resources to use, and we certainly didn't have money for another engine kng magkamali kami, we opted to go with the safest mods that can help improve the engines' reliability and efficiency. except for the freeflow header/muffler, the other mods made a significant improvement on performance and reliability.

in the end, cguro more than top end power, mas importante mahanap mo yng tamang balance between performance, reliability and user friendliness ng oto

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup.

Consider the fact that a well set-up SR20DE can run with a B16A, despite the B16A being 160 hp as stock and the SR20DE being 140 as stock.

It's because in acceleration, "power under the curve" matters a lot. If two vehicles have the same peak horsepower, yet one has more torque at, say, 4000 rpm (where you usually fall when you upshift), the vehicle with more torque is making more power throughout their rev range.

I'm chasing the goal of matching a modified B16A in terms of power, but I'm pretty happy with my engine even if I'm still short of that goal... I have a fat wad of torque that gives me great power from 4000 rpm to 6500 rpm.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    100k won't buy you pistons and rods with the turbo kit. kulang na kulang yung amount na yun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
turbo kit