New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks mga bro! Mapapadali ang paghahanap ko ngayon.

Napapalitan ko na kasi ng headers at ginawa naming 2"-diameter twin pipes ang exhaust. Itong intake na lang ang kulang. Ayaw ko namang lagyan ng typhoon-type intake. Drop-in lang ay OK na. Beyond this modifications, wala na sa budget. He he he.

Ciao!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmd3_787 View Post
    Thanks mga bro! Mapapadali ang paghahanap ko ngayon.

Napapalitan ko na kasi ng headers at ginawa naming 2"-diameter twin pipes ang exhaust. Itong intake na lang ang kulang. Ayaw ko namang lagyan ng typhoon-type intake. Drop-in lang ay OK na. Beyond this modifications, wala na sa budget. He he he.

Ciao!
    Honestly, I would rather simply keep the engine completely stock. There isn't much performance that can be produced from the CA20 engine. The CA20 engine is rated between 105 to 115 HP. That is pretty low for today's standard of 140hp for a 2.0L engine (example SR20DE)

If you want to get more power for your Maxima, I would strongly suggest to start with an engine swap with a SR20DE engine.

My project sentra has a SR20DE engine tuned to over 150hp at the wheels.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I still haven't found the K&N filter for my Maxima. SpeedLab suggested to install an external setup. But I decided to extend my scouting because I really want to keep it as a stock . I like it as it is. Kaya nga drop-in lang ang hinahanap ko.

As for the SR20DE engine, my friend told me to install the SR18DET instead. Much more horses. But it would require upsizing my brakes and strengthening the frame. Sadly, I wouldn't go that far because of budget constraints. But that idea of yours is very appealing.

By the way, mayabang yung isang Fil-Chinese dun sa SpeedLab. Siya yung payat, mid-20's ang edad, at sa tingin ko e owner or co-owner ng shop. He laughed when I brought in the sample filter of my CA20S. Karburador lang pala naman daw. Sabay iniwan ako. Buti at mababait ang mga staff nila... Filipino staff. OK lang, I did not go there to be entertained. Anyway, I just also proved that SpeedLab's prices are way too high. Example, yung K&N cone-type filter nila ay php4,500, while sa Nihhon * Banawe ay php3,500 lang. Marami namang nagpapauto.

Enuf sed. I'm still on the hunt for that elusive K&N drop-in filter for my Maxima. This blog is still open for inputs. Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As for the SR20DE engine, my friend told me to install the SR18DET instead. Much more horses. But it would require upsizing my brakes and strengthening the frame. Sadly, I wouldn't go that far because of budget constraints. But that idea of yours is very appealing.
    Even if the SR18DET will get you more power, it would also cost you much more than a SR20DE swap (not including the turbo piping, etc). And the plus part is you could always do an aftermarket turbo setup on the SR20 later if/when you have the budget for it. Stock SR20DE with turbo would be enough for at least 200hp.

Just something to think about.

Anyway, performance it's all about have a lot of HP but more of a balance of power and control. Having too much power is useless if you can't control it. That is why I prefer the N/A SR20DE in my project car.

By the way, mayabang yung isang Fil-Chinese dun sa SpeedLab. Siya yung payat, mid-20's ang edad, at sa tingin ko e owner or co-owner ng shop. He laughed when I brought in the sample filter of my CA20S. Karburador lang pala naman daw. Sabay iniwan ako.
    That would be "sids" ... known him for years. Don't take his behavior into any personal offense because that is really how he is. He can be a fun guy to talk with once you get to know him better.

Buti at mababait ang mga staff nila... Filipino staff. OK lang, I did not go there to be entertained. Anyway, I just also proved that SpeedLab's prices are way too high. Example, yung K&N cone-type filter nila ay php4,500, while sa Nihhon * Banawe ay php3,500 lang. Marami namang nagpapauto.
    Speedlab isn't simply about selling parts at the cheapest price but more about the overall service (try overlooking your experience with sids). A good number of cars on the road with proven performance have been tuned by speedlab. Tuning cars isn't really for the cheap because it can get expensive really quickly.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

That would be "sids" ... known him for years. Don't take his behavior into any personal offense because that is really how he is. He can be a fun guy to talk with once you get to know him better.

I was * speedlab last saturday, wala si sid. Si ferman lang andun pero he was busy doing a baseline dyno kaya i didnt have the chance to ask about unichip that would be fitted sa triton with the K&N filter.

Talked to sid sa phone re: tein coil overs. better to visit nalang daw.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Example, yung K&N cone-type filter nila ay php4,500, while sa Nihhon * Banawe ay php3,500 lang. Marami namang nagpapauto.
    Sir,
    Ask ko lang
    Saan gawi po yung Nihhon sa Banawe?
    Looking for a K&N cone filter din kasi.

Sa side ba ng E. rod. Que Blvd ito or sa Orthopedic side po?
    Saan po siya malapit.
    Salamat.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Honestly, I would rather simply keep the engine completely stock. There isn't much performance that can be produced from the CA20 engine. The CA20 engine is rated between 105 to 115 HP. That is pretty low for today's standard of 140hp for a 2.0L engine (example SR20DE)

If you want to get more power for your Maxima, I would strongly suggest to start with an engine swap with a SR20DE engine.

My project sentra has a SR20DE engine tuned to over 150hp at the wheels.
    bro, kinda OT but i'm also looking to "upgrade" my stock ga14ds (b13). i've been thinking of adding a k&n filter to complement my headers pero nagdadalawang isip ako since i'm really not sure how much hp will be added to the 80-85hp stock of the ga14. i really want to get it swapped for an sr20de pero nanghihinayang ako since my ga14ds is still performing tops at this time.

any suggestions? thanks!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    About "sids", none taken, really... We're all professionals here.

I'll consider your SR20DE idea. That seems like the coolest thing to do with my Maxima. How much would that SR2DE swap cost me... estimate?

Thanks bro!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll consider your SR20DE idea. That seems like the coolest thing to do with my Maxima. How much would that SR2DE swap cost me... estimate?
    A rough estimate: stock SR20DE with tranny should cost you about P50K to P60K installed.

Just make sure to get a complete engine w/ ECU with intact (uncut) wiring harness. It will lessen your headaches later by 200%.

You'll have to decide if you want A/T or M/T though.

BTW, I am not sure if you have to replace your wheel hubs because I am not sure if the stock Maxima wheel hubs would be compatible to the drive shafts of the SR20.

Note: some SR20s have an electronic speed limiter which limits the vehicle from going beyond 180/185kph. There are devices which can remove this. I have one installed in my Sentra and I peaked out at 219kph.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoots View Post
    bro, kinda OT but i'm also looking to "upgrade" my stock ga14ds (b13). i've been thinking of adding a k&n filter to complement my headers pero nagdadalawang isip ako since i'm really not sure how much hp will be added to the 80-85hp stock of the ga14. i really want to get it swapped for an sr20de pero nanghihinayang ako since my ga14ds is still performing tops at this time.

any suggestions? thanks!
    Take it from someone who has done most mods you can do on a B13... I had a B13 with a GA16DE with a lot of engine mods up to turbo.

It would be cheaper per HP gained to do an engine swap from the GA14 to the SR20.

Sell the GA14 to offset the cost of the SR20 swap if you have already decided to go through with the swap.

If not, best to keep the GA14 in stock condition because any modest gain in HP will be matched with a huge increase in fuel consumption.