New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Threaded View

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It was nice seeing you - Carlo, Fafa Otep, Jaymie, Nugundam, Congressman Niky and cousin (?), Mbt.

I arrived at exactly 9am and immediately test drove the new Strada AT to compare it with my Dmax AT. An annoying sales agent had me fill up some forms and I'm off!(in fairness maasikaso siya and you are right Carlo...this is how they should handle customers- maybe because I said that im thinking of trading in my dmax for the new strada).

Here goes my review:

INTERIOR:
    As I said before, the interior is too "plasticky" for me. Tho I really liked the LCD display and its functions. The entertainment system produced quality sound comparable to the Dmax's. The advantage of the Strada however lies in its Ipod ready HU...plug and play.

The fabric of the seats were simple and nice compared to the hellish prints of the Dmax's. However, I think that the front seats of the Dmax has better and more comfortable support (specially in the lumbar).

The backseat was a different story. Kudos to Mitsubishi for bringing in the most comfortable back seats in the Pick-up class. SUVish is how I can describe it. Comfortable, and spacious.

POWER:
    Sadly the AT variant lacks low end torque for me. Compared to the Dmax which will give you the anticipated Oooompfh! of the engine at around 1,800rpm, the Strada's can be felt at a high of 2,500rpm to 3000rpm (this is why I never believed in what brochures show). You will need to get used to a 2k to 3k rpm revving in order for you to find the satisfaction. I think engine displacement has much to to with this..or it can also be the AT system.

At long streches however, I think that the Strada AT has more power to give than the Dmax. Simply speaking I think that the Strada is more responsive at high speeds compared to the Dmax. I was surprised to feel the engine of the Strada pushing the vehicle even when engaged in high gears.

RIDE / COMFORT:
    The ride of the Strada is just superb! Its not enough to say that it is the best in the pickup category....heck It can even compete in the SUV class! Now we can bring our grannies with us without the fear of killing them in the process.

The steering/handling was also responsive comparable to the Dmax. However I think that the Strada gives less strain to the arms due to a better driver steering and seating position (driving for hours in my Dmax gives me the urge to call my mom's masahista afterwards).

EXTERIOR:
    Front: All I can say is ang GWAFU!!! I liked the headlights, grill, doors, everything!

Rear: Kinda weird for a tail. It has a small bed. And I hate those robotic bumpers!

Will I buy one if given the opportunity? Definitely! But my Dmax serves me well and I find its own advantages compared to the Strada. But that Dang ride of the STRADA is just soooo irresistable!

Pictures to follow!

Carlo: Thanks in advanced for the pics. I Enjoyed the exchange of ideas...sa muling pagkikita (Hmmm...Ford Ranger Launch? hehe)

Hope this post helps potential pickup buyers!
    Last edited by OTEP; October 21st, 2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of 'Jaymie'

Aftermath:  Mitsubishi Test Drive- Galant, Lancer 2.0, and the all new STRADA