New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    haha

don't you guys miss the patented OB world view?
    Oh yeah. Now I am 100% sure he is OB... Nice to be back!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Being of mixed blood, I get pissed either way.

Niky can't win in this. If he insults foreigners or pinoys, he gets hit either way.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skyglider View Post
    as long as the bashing is true, i don't take it against the person. eh sa totoo eh... the truth really hurts pero it will set us free.... pero kundi totoo eh ibang usapan na...
    I recall when Claire Danes was blacklisted for saying Manila smelled like cockroaches... considering where she filmed her movie... as it isn't far from where we used to live... I'd say her remarks were entirely accurate.

Or maybe she was smelling the rivers?

Yet, instead of taking that as a challenge to improve cleanliness... our politicos took it as an affront to their dignity.

I also loved the Desperate Housewives fiasco... the remark about fake diplomas. Working in a school and dealing with issues like this made me laugh. Recruiters and hospitals used to call us... long distance... all the time to confirm diplomas. A surprising number were, indeed, fake.

So... what do the politicians do? Clean out Recto? Put a stop to diploma mills? Nah... just protest the show for the slur.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    na-culture shock lang si Tiffany

she has to adapt

she has to learn how pinoys think
    But what if our culture is the reason we're not successful? Should we change?

http://antipinoy.com/culture-and-destiny/

Culture & Destiny: Why Culture Determines Winners & Losers

Dr. Huntington also narrated in Culture Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress this very fascinating story:

“In the early 1990’s, I happened to come across economic data on Ghana and South Korea in the early 1960s, and I was astonished to see how similar their economies were then. These two countries had roughly comparable levels of per capita GNP; similar divisions of their economy among primary products, manufacturing, and services; and overwhelmingly primary product exports, with South Korea producing a few manufactured goods.

Also, they were receiving comparable levels of economic aid. Thirty years later, South Korea had become an industrial giant with the fourteenth largest economy in the world, multinational corporations, major export of automobiles, electronic equipment, and other sophisticated manufactures, and a per capita income approximating that of Greece. Moreover, it was on its way to the consolidation of democratic institutions. No such change had occurred in Ghana, whose per capita GNP was now about one-fifteenth that of South Korea’s.

How could this extraordinary difference in development be explained? Undoubtedly, many factors played a role, but it seemed to me that culture had to be a large part of the explanation. South Koreans valued thrift, investment, hard work, education, organization, organization, and discipline. Ghanians had different values. In short, cultures count.”

The Philippines and Ghana almost share the same culture — the same irrationality, excessive conviviality or the propensity to feast that suggest that their societies are structured towards pleasure and the suppression of individualism.

Camerounian economist Dr. Daniel Etounga-Manguelle wrote a book entitled Does Africa Need a Cultural Adjustment Program? and set forth the following cultural obstacle to progress in most African countries including Ghana: present-time orientation, lack of concern in making efficient of time, subordination of the individual to the community, excessive conviviality and avoidance of confrontation, little saving and much conspicuous consumption, very short radius of identification and trust, and the subordination and abuse of women. He also highlighted Africa’s excessive conviviality which was very strikingly similar to our culture. Everything, he said, is a pretext for celebration in Africa: birth, baptism, marriage, birthday, promotion, election, a return from a short or long trip, mourning, as well as traditional and religious feasts. Whether one’s salary is considerable or modest, whether one’s granaries are empty or full, the feast must be beautiful and must include the maximum possible number of guests.

Does this not sound very familiar?

In the early 1990's Lee Kuan Yew stated that our country, the Philippines, was going nowhere because of our lack of discipline and excessive conviviality. We Filipinos, he added, possessed an “exuberant democracy” as we always have the propensity to feast incessantly with a bacchanalian attitude. It was in this particular instance that he advised us that instead of Democracy, Filipinos needed Discipline in order to build a successful society. Again, many Filipinos were incensed and infuriated including former president Fidel Valdez Ramos.
    Last edited by donbuggy; September 3rd, 2010 at 04:38 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Yup,- agree with you bro... Those things should have prompted our government officials to improve their lot and their social services. But they never lifted a finger, as what we've seen and heard....

Oh well, the Recto Mill is still churning out those precious oh so precious papers.....

10.8K:lalala:

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post

Siguradong titirik sa sobrang sarap ang mata ni Tiffany baby at matatawag niya ang lahat ng santo kapag natikman niya ito (may paingles-ingles pa siya na British accent pa).... :hysterical:

10.8K:lalala:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why not just ask China to invade the Philippines and annex the entire group of islands as part of the country?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    donbuggy:
    But what if our culture is the reason we're not successful? Should we change?
    i have pointed those things out in another thread here in tsikot

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66458

one of my posts in that thread

those "professors" and "experts" have been pointing to land reform for years

it's not land

it's culture, it's work ethic, it's mentality

when your people are highly productive, very work oriented, time-sensitive, may malasakit sa company they work for, may malasakit sa bansa, your country becomes an economic powerhouse, producing a mind-boggling volume of goods

pinoys are too family-oriented, too leisure-oriented

pinoys view work as torture... kung pwede lang i-fast forward ang oras sa trabaho para makauwi na at makasama ang pamilya

ang oras naman sa trabaho hindi maximized

work that could be finished in one day takes days or weeks to finish

add to that the number of days na walang pasok sa loob ng isang taon

hindi time-sensitive ang pinoy... pinoys do not value time. pinoys do not value their own time and other people's time

no wonder the economic output of the Philippines is always less than that of other Asian countries

when you have people who are not work-oriented, not very productive, time-wasting, walang malasakit sa company, walang malasakit sa bansa...

when you have people who are laid back (enjoy, have fun, relax), never serious (kenkoy), geared for consumption, not geared for production, leisure-oriented...

you get a country with lots of malls and supermarkets, lots of restaurants, bars and nightclubs, lots of resorts and spas, lots of end-user consumption businesses, lots of importers, not a lot of factories, not a lot of B2B (business-to-business) businesses

and you also get a country where more than 10% of the population have to work abroad, so they can send money to their families here so their families can do what pinoys do best -- enjoy, have fun, relax, and consume
    Last edited by uls; September 3rd, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Why not just ask China to invade the Philippines and annex the entire group of islands as part of the country?
    Papayag yung China, kung walang squatters na kasama...
    Last edited by Monseratto; September 3rd, 2010 at 04:53 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Papayag yung China, kung walang squatters na kasama...

China can easily solve that (by abolishing the Phil-CHR).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
What Do You Feel When Pinoys Get Bashed?