New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i just want to get this off my chest... i just told an ugly-natured korean (UNK) off and this is my first unpleasant face-to-face encounter with a foreigner for that matter.

yesterday, this UNK, a 40ish female btw, accosted my 2 kids and their yaya while they were playing in the corridor of the condo where we live. my wife went to the UNK's unit to apologize for the noise the kids made and to her surprise, the UNK shouted that my wife is a "does not take care of her children" and "cannot discipline her children"; that the kids disturb "everybody, everyday, every minute".

taken aback, my wife replied that what the UNK said is not true as the children do not play in the corridor everyday and that nobody has ever complained about that matter yet. by this time, all the people in her unit came out (along with their filipina language tutor) and the UNK's teenaged daughter even kicked my 4 year-old son's twistcar even as he was still seated on it.

while the UNK kept on ranting, my wife pulled our son away saying that "umalis na nga tayo anak at masungit ang koreanang yan!" the UNK reacted, and shouting again, said "what did you say? what did you say? my daughter understands that!" my wife replied "i didn't say anything bad, i only said you are impolite and inconsiderate, ask your tutor..."

this morning, my wife went to the building administrator to get the UNK's name, with the intent of writing a letter to the UNK regarding the incident above.

at lunchtime, my wife passed by the front desk and she saw the UNK, along with her friend, telling the two receptionists that my wife shouted "f_ck you" to her. my wife approached them and she told the UNK that what she is saying is untrue. the UNK replied "you are a liar" and made gestures as if she was shooing my wife off.

my wife, fuming, went back to the our unit and told me what happened.

i rushed down to the front desk and i accosted the UNK telling her that we don't even use that phrase at home and that she has no right to say that my wife is a liar. i would like to add that though i tried hard to keep my voice down, i came across as very angry and at i even pointed my finger straight to her face telling the UNK that she is the liar.

at this point, she and her friend started talking korean. i placed myself in between them and i repeatedly called her a liar. they moved to the elevator and i followed them inside. while the three of us were there, i again pointed my finger to the UNK's face and told her "my children may have been noisy but we are not liars."

i think of myself as being a tolerant person but i blew my lid on this one. i don't know how much cultural differences have a bearing on this incident but we would not have minded it so much if the UNK could have handled the incident better instead of just shouting at people.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hmm problema yang di magkasundo na neighbours..deadma mo nalang yun.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You can file a complaint of grievance against your landlord and tell them about the incidence. Your anger is understandable, but I commend your holding back. I'm sure, others would have been just as furious and I can't imagine how others could have reacted.

Sometimes there are people who are so ignorant and so conceited that they think highly of themselves at the expense of others. Try ignoring them, it seems to me she just wants to get your blood boiling and she's like testing her own limits as to how much she can tolerate from you. If you ignore her, she won't get what she wants. It's hard but give it a shot.

If she tries to get your attention again, just laugh and pretend she's just made a good joke. I'm sure she will be fuming mad that she didn't get the reaction she expected from you. Expect her to change her tactic after this.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    tnx guys...

i plan to ignore her after this. my wife has already spoken with her landlord but understandably, she doesn't want to meddle. the prospect of lost pesos may have weighted too heavily on her.

if this row gets worse, i might have to approach one of my korean acquaintances.

btw, my wife sits on the board of directors of the condominium's unit owners' association. i bet the korak didn't know that.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by diesoline View Post
    tnx guys...

i plan to ignore her after this. my wife has already spoken with her landlord but understandably, she doesn't want to meddle. the prospect of lost pesos may have weighted too heavily on her.

if this row gets worse, i might have to approach one of my korean acquaintances.

btw, my wife sits on the board of directors of the condominium's unit owners' association. i bet the korak didn't know that.
    Good, looks like you have a hand here. Play it that way and keep the ball in your court. Let her make a fool of herself in front of other tenants, just keep your kids away from her and her daughter. It would also be wise to learn some curse words in Korean.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    mbeige, i not a fighter, all i know is that "sarang hamneda" bit i culled from those inday badiday shows of my youth...

sarang hamneda = i love you (i think...)

whatever...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Well, you wouldn't want to say that to her, unless you said it sarcastically

I understand, I too am not a fighter. I only meant to learn the curse words to know when you are already being cursed behind your back, not to use them against her.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i dont know what these people are thinking, carrying their weight around as if they were in their country. continue keeping your cool but if all else fails, call immigration

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    mbeige::: i wouldn't dare say that to her. eeeewww! her looks are a far cry from those we see in the koreanovelas festering tv sets nationwide

mob29::: i have visualized her face kissing the dunlops of my kia carnival...

the rudeness quotient of these people is a lot higher than most other nationalities i've encountered.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Good, looks like you have a hand here. Play it that way and keep the ball in your court. Let her make a fool of herself in front of other tenants, just keep your kids away from her and her daughter. It would also be wise to learn some curse words in Korean.
    I think this is not a bad idea... at least when you hear her mention those words, pwede mo syang balikan na "minura" ka nya or whatever....

and for this, i think TotoyBato will be able to help.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
ugly-natured korean