New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    45,737
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    sir you mean yung concrete wall namin? Nasa interior naman po yung bahay namin, so di kami binabalya ng hangin directly. i don't intend to use the hedge as a windbreak, more of harang lang from the noise and smoke from the neighbor's generator. From time to time kung anu ano pa ang ginagawa sa tapat namin kaya maingay/makalat/mausok.
    Nangyari sa old house namin yan. Dinagdag lang yung hollow blocks para tumaas, over the years nag lean na yung wall hanggang bumagsak. Buti wala na damage sa neighbor namin

  2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,569
    #12
    Hedge namin royal palm tree ata yun. Pero hindi kalakihan yan.

  3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    45,737
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    bamboos get troublesome by the time you want to get rid of it. it's unkillable!
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Just like any grass, you need to uproot to kill it. Problem with bamboos, snakes likes breeding in the roots plus they make creepy noise when branches rub against each. The kawayang tinik the one used to make bamboo chairs are the sturdiest and the hardest to maintain..

    My vote goes with Mahogany or Gmilina both have strong roots, an excellent windbreaker if properly trimmed.
    Aren't Mahogany trees to large to line up on a fence? Unless you live live in a ranch?

    I Googled on bamboo and came across several complaints on how hard it is to kill bamboo! You have to dig deep and replace the soil pala. It's as hard to kill as grass!

    Our neighbor has trees that are shaped like a pine tree in their perimeter. I don't know what it is called. The leaves are drooping, looks like a sad tree. Nakalbo nung glenda hehe
    Last edited by _Cathy_; July 25th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

  4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,720
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Aren't Mahogany trees to large to line up on a fence? Unless you live live in a ranch?

    I Googled on bamboo and came across several complaints on how hard it is to kill bamboo! You have to dig deep and replace the soil pala. It's as hard to kill as grass!

    Our neighbor has trees that are shaped like a pine tree in their perimeter. I don't know what it is called. The leaves are drooping, looks like a sad tree. Nakalbo nung glenda hehe


    Hmm, in my case, i plan to strip out a portion of the concrete floor so i can plant them on the ground; if i eventually want to get rid of them, isn't just a matter of covering the exposed ground with concrete?

  5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,494
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Hedge namin royal palm tree ata yun. Pero hindi kalakihan yan.
    Nakikita ko lang ito sa mga bahay ng royalty.

    :D

    BTT:

    Mahogany or Gmelina are good for long driveways or wide lawns. But not as hedge cover. One thing is for sure, pag lumaki yang mga kahoy, sigurado durog ang hollowblock wall mo sa mga ugat nyan.

    Yung sa bahay namin sa probinsya, acacia ..........

    I'll post a pick when I can .... :D

  6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    45,737
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Hmm, in my case, i plan to strip out a portion of the concrete floor so i can plant them on the ground; if i eventually want to get rid of them, isn't just a matter of covering the exposed ground with concrete?
    Then it's okay if you plan to cover it with concrete again. It'll be a problem lang if you wanna replace it with different plants or trees.

  7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,998
    #17
    Kung acoustic/pollution barrier, better make the wall 10 feet then lagyan ng stainless steel mat behind that is bunot(coco husk or uling) then patubuan mo ng orchids, vines. Pinaka the best gulay itanim mo para may pakinabang like upo, patola, upland kangkong, or Ube..

    Mango trees lang sa house 5ft lang ang perimeter fence since ok naman ang kapitbahay namin hindi mga pasaway pero sa farm mahogany, gmelina, narra, acacia, carabao mango, pili trees and all sorts of fruit trees. Recently pinatumba ko some acacia dahil mahina sa hangin; pili, gmelina mahogany na ang pinalit...

    The kawayang tiniks, best as perimeter fence you can sell them for a good price sa mga furniture shops.. And kung namromroblema ka sa pag alis ng kawayan, just ask the manginginoms to harvest snakes living in the roots of the kawayan, susunugin nila then uproot it to harvest the snakes instant linis in exchange for the pulutan.

  8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,569
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Nakikita ko lang ito sa mga bahay ng royalty.

    :D

    BTT:

    Mahogany or Gmelina are good for long driveways or wide lawns. But not as hedge cover. One thing is for sure, pag lumaki yang mga kahoy, sigurado durog ang hollowblock wall mo sa mga ugat nyan.

    Yung sa bahay namin sa probinsya, acacia ..........

    I'll post a pick when I can .... :D
    Haha, imperial palm tree naman ata yung mahal.

    Hindi nga ideal as hedge ang puno lalo na yung malalaki ugat. Yung Acacia grabe din ugat niyan.

  9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    37,144
    #19
    Are we talking of transplanting grown plants? Or plantlets? Bamboo grows fast. The others take their sweet time...
    I have seen cut bamboo spliced together to form a wall of sorts, then positioned beside the cement fence... It effectively heightened the fence cover by several feet..
    You might try setting up a balag of ampalaya, upo or patola... May gulay ka pa...

    You might also consider filing a formal complaint. I am confident there are existing rules on noise and air pollution..
    Last edited by dr. d; July 25th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

  10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    820
    #20
    lets not kill the snakes... one reason snakes live near a kawayan is due to the rats that lives there too, the rats even lives inside a bamboo trunk-saw this firts hand.

    most philippine snakes are not venomus unlike the snakes in north and south america, sa land ata isa lang ang may venom at yun ay ang philippine cobra.

    bamboo is a good perimeter fence as long it is planted on the ground and not in a pot, but be mindful not to plant other plants alongside it since a bamboo would literally kill that plant... and be sure to water your bamboo heavily.

    madali lang patayin ang bamboo, dont give them water (lalomnamsamcity kasi wala naman undergroundmsource of water) cut them burn the soil or rub salt on its roots.

    dati noon bata pa ako pansin ko yung mga bamboo tumutubo malapit sa sapa, river or any near wtaer source, ngayon nagkalat na.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

plants as hedges