New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    lets not kill the snakes... one reason snakes live near a kawayan is due to the rats that lives there too, the rats even lives inside a bamboo trunk-saw this firts hand.

most philippine snakes are not venomus unlike the snakes in north and south america, sa land ata isa lang ang may venom at yun ay ang philippine cobra.

bamboo is a good perimeter fence as long it is planted on the ground and not in a pot, but be mindful not to plant other plants alongside it since a bamboo would literally kill that plant... and be sure to water your bamboo heavily.

madali lang patayin ang bamboo, dont give them water (lalomnamsamcity kasi wala naman undergroundmsource of water) cut them burn the soil or rub salt on its roots.

dati noon bata pa ako pansin ko yung mga bamboo tumutubo malapit sa sapa, river or any near wtaer source, ngayon nagkalat na.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Does that mean our bamboo could attract snakes?

BTW I would not plant mango trees anymore if I live in the city. My lola has a regular sized mango tree that managed to crack the flooring in the lanai. And it was not even planted close to the house. Now our gate is misaligned and cannot be opened anymore because of our giant mango tree. It's about 3 1/2 stories high now and we can't afford to have it cut yet.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Snakes like dry soil full of holes common to bamboo roots, they could easily climb to hunt then return/breed inside holes for protection.

Any tree could crack a house foundation. You could delay growth at the same time manage risk of branches falling into your property during storms by periodically trimming/ pruning the center branch of the tree.

The mango tree in the house is one of the cuttings i bought from UPLB, now i just do graftings to reproduce it in the farm. Actually lots of nice fruit trees in there, to name a few bought there some davao pomelos, rambutan, nymph tree, apple mango, some exotic palms and guava. Its very nice planting these in the backyard lalo na kung may kasama gulayin.. Hindi ka na lalabas ng haus to buy them in the market, you could just pick it right from the backyard..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    So even if there are no snakes at our house, the bamboo could attract the snakes nga??? If that is the case, I am removing the bamboo na!!! And I would not recommend it to anyone.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Yes it do attracts snakes, but just keep the roots clean, branches trimmed, and from time to time remove undergrowth and you should be fine. There are bamboo variety(chinese i think) and those yellow ornamentals that does not grow much roots which would be easy to maintain. I had bamboo in the house that was removed recently because its hard to maintain, replaced it with macopa and atis.. In the farm we just let it grow because it has soo many uses, we actually eat those bamboo shoots(called labong in bicol) cook it in ginataan and fish.. ohh i so miss eating that gulay..

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    What type of Bamboo is this?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by victorevolution View Post
    most philippine snakes are not venomus unlike the snakes in north and south america, sa land ata isa lang ang may venom at yun ay ang philippine cobra.
    hindi lang cobra, madami pa.

bukod sa elapids tulad ng cobra. meron tayong vipers, colubrids, etc.

sa elapidae ulit meron tayong mga sariling corals.

pinaka marami natin sa colubrides. swerte dahil karamihan nito ay "mildy venomous".

Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    So even if there are no snakes at our house, the bamboo could attract the snakes nga???
    hindi.

kung nasa rural ka o semi-rural area, medyo malaki possibilty. madawag pa ba ang lugar niyo diyan sa binay city?

sandalan ko dito sa banawe kyusi at sabitan ng bag for 5years, thicket ng bamboo.

ang saya saya ko siguro kung makakita ako ng ahas.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    cathy: ito ata yan, Phyllostachys heteroclada or ito yan Pseudosasa japonica. Yung japonica tested nang matibay sa bagyo yan. Hindi kataasan pero magandang hedge at kapag makapal, barrier talaga. Pati manok at sisiw hindi makakatawin dyan. hehe

Maganda bamboo as hedge basta bantayan at i-trim mo lang na pa-halang siya so magigind barrier instead na paikot ang tubo. Dito sa amin, pantot, ahas at bayawak titira diyan kapag yung mga 10 tao na ang kelangan para mapa-ikutan ang bamboo. hehehe

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    ^ bro ano ginagawa niyo sa pantot?

hinuhuli niyo rin yan?

binturong bro nakakakita ka diyan sa area niyo?

98 pa nung unang nakita ko yang pantot. bale twice pa lang in my lifetime.

may mga ungas na nagbibenta noon niyan dito sa manila.

medyo acclimitized na sa tao kaya hindi na nagrerelease ng odor.

*ang problema sa kawayan yung mga ugat. pag gusto mo i-clear yung lupa nakupo! daig pa yung spaghetti sa dami. perwisyo pag ayaw mo na.

may mga "runners" pa yan na parang kawad ng kuryente kaya mabilis lumago.
    Last edited by holdencaulfield; July 26th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Ano ang madawag at pantot?

Pinaka ayokong bamboo yung sa may Mind Museum na garden. Masyado maglagas.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; July 26th, 2014 at 02:28 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast