New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i was browsing through the Black Friday ads when i saw deals for pocket knives; pabili sana ako ng pocket knife, and i have some questions:

- maganda ba yung combo plain+serrated blade? My feeling is that this would work only beyond a certain blade length. Maliit lang yung balak kong bilhin so i'm planning to go with a plain blade.

- when it comes to re-sharpening, is it better to go with plain stainless steel? i see a lot of knives with some sort of special coating, imho parang hassle when time comes to resharpen.

- for the bigger jobs -- cutting branches, rope, etc -- what blade length is best? imho you're better off with a fixed handle blade.

- is there a place in MM where i can buy the typical itak, sundang, etc na gawang Batangas?

To be clear, i'm just buying this for the novelty of it, and for my prepper stash. i don't particular need it day to day, nor do i plan on using it for self defense(baka pag initan lang ako ng pulis). OC lang po, so i'm asking here.

tia
    I find combo edge pocketknives somewhat at a disadvantage vs. dedicated fine edge or serrated ones. You can't go wrong with a plain edge on the type of knife you are interested in.

You are correct. It is easier to sharpen a plain edge knife. But it is really not that difficult to sharpen other types of blades with the right kind of sharpening tools.

For cutting branches, a dedicated saw is what you need. If you want to use blunt force to chop wood, make sure the steel is hard enough to handle the duty. Leaf spring is very good when forged correctly to form a larger knife like a bolo or machete or even sword or ax. The type of alloy is very tough and can resist wear better than high carbon filled steel.

If you are just buying a knife for novelty, it doesn't matter if the blade is serrated, plain or both. If you are prepper like me, I suggest you look at multi-tools with a very good quality steel knife. In a way, you have other tools available to you to perform specific tasks.

Boker Plus Keycom knife has caught your attention. Boker is a reputable knife maker. The model you are looking at is very small. The blade length, I would say is just about 1.5 inches. To consider one that has combo edge on this size is not only impractical but also laughable. One good thing about this Boker keychain knife is the blade quality. It uses AUS-8. Same steel used by other high value knife makers like Spyderco, Kershaw, Ontario, etc.

I have collected a lot of blades through many years. The most I use is the one I carry on my keychain, a victorinox classic stayglow model. And for everyday cutting task at home, I use either a beater Husky box cutter or a Gerber EAB pocket knife. I like the idea of replaceable blades. This saves my high value knives from dulling.

If you are interested to see my modest collection, just holler out
    Last edited by frenchtower; December 9th, 2015 at 05:47 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    I find combo edge pocketknives somewhat at a disadvantage vs. dedicated fine edge or serrated ones. You can't go wrong with a plain edge on the type of knife you are interested in.

You are correct. It is easier to sharpen a plain edge knife. But it is really not that difficult to sharpen other types of blades with the right kind of sharpening tools.

For cutting branches, a dedicated saw is what you need. If you want to use blunt force to chop wood, make sure the steel is hard enough to handle the duty. Leaf spring is very good when forged correctly to form a larger knife like a bolo or machete or even sword or ax. The type of alloy is very tough and can resist wear better than high carbon filled steel.

If you are just buying a knife for novelty, it doesn't matter if the blade is serrated, plain or both. If you are prepper like me, I suggest you look at multi-tools with a very good quality steel knife. In a way, you have other tools available to you to performing specific tasks.

Boker Plus Keycom knife has caught your attention. Boker is a reputable knife maker. The model you are looking at is very small. The blade length, I would say is just about 1.5 inches. To consider one that has combo edge on this size is not only impractical but also laughable. One good thing about this Boker keychain knife is the blade quality. It uses AUS-8. Same steel used by other high value knife makers like Spyderco, Kershaw, Ontario, etc.

I have collected a lot of blades through many years. The most I use is the one I carry on my keychain, a victorinox classic stayglow model. And for everyday cutting task at home, I use either a beater Husky box cutter or a Gerber EAB pocket knife. I like the idea of replaceable blades. This saves my high value knives from dulling.

If you are interested to see my modest collection, just holler out
    Please post your knife collection here

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    Please post your knife collection here

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    wow! Knives anyone?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Very nice collection!

Yes, ceramic knives can chip.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Is that a Spydie Military on top? I miss mine! I lost it somewhere in Agusan. Tsk, tsk.

7. Join Date
    May 2012
    Wow macgyver Swiss army knife

8. Join Date
    May 2012
    Double post

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post
    Is that a Spydie Military on top? I miss mine! I lost it somewhere in Agusan. Tsk, tsk.
    del sur or del norte? dugay ko sa agusan del sur

10. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
    del sur or del norte? dugay ko sa agusan del sur
    Sige ko sa Caraga when it was still called Agusuri ☺

Come to think of it, sa Monkayo diay nako nawala ang ako Military. That was a bad ass folder.

These days I prefer carrying a multi tool and a collapsible baton

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast