New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i was browsing through the Black Friday ads when i saw deals for pocket knives; pabili sana ako ng pocket knife, and i have some questions:

- maganda ba yung combo plain+serrated blade? My feeling is that this would work only beyond a certain blade length. Maliit lang yung balak kong bilhin so i'm planning to go with a plain blade.

- when it comes to re-sharpening, is it better to go with plain stainless steel? i see a lot of knives with some sort of special coating, imho parang hassle when time comes to resharpen.

- for the bigger jobs -- cutting branches, rope, etc -- what blade length is best? imho you're better off with a fixed handle blade.

- is there a place in MM where i can buy the typical itak, sundang, etc na gawang Batangas?

To be clear, i'm just buying this for the novelty of it, and for my prepper stash. i don't particular need it day to day, nor do i plan on using it for self defense(baka pag initan lang ako ng pulis). OC lang po, so i'm asking here.

tia

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    1). Depende. On the same edge, usually gimmick lang, esp. sa pocket size category. Not to say lahat bulok, but price usually kalaban dyan.

2). Depende din sa bakal. No experience with this since I would go to a shop to resharpen. But general consensus from what I've read SS mas hassle. As for the coating, usually wala naman sa edge yan.

3). Branches, machete na siguro for those kinds of work. Size wise, for a kit, 6in+ blade maybe 4in blade absolute smallest.

4). I have had friends suggest Makati Cinema Square when looking for knives. I've personally seen some sa Centris sunday market(dunno if still there, di na ako bumalik lately) , and minsan sa mga bazaar sa world trade meron din.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    for ordinary kitchen use, the best knife i ever used was the one i bought from a peddler in banawe.. yari raw sa bulitas.
    the blade is thick and doesn't bend easily.. doesn't rust.. holds its sharpness well.. and despite daily use and sharpening (using the sharpening stick and/or carborundum stone), hasn't turned concave yet.
    "golden harvest USA" brand. heh heh.

gulok or itak naman... the ones in SM just don't hack it. too light. the one i bought in the palengke is better, despite its cheaper price.
    i suppose if you go to batangas, you may encounter "pang-mana".... yung ok isabit sa dingding. complete with sungay handle and hardwood keeper.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I bought a big butchers knife when we were at a beach in Laiya, Batangas.

Nilalako lan. Nakuha ko ng Php600 petot. Stainless at solid talaga. Sa lechon ko pa lang nagagamit hehehe

Meron din akong gulok from Tabako, Albay.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    One thing with personal knives like Boker, Spider & such, there are so many fakes going around. Prices are upward of 4k, depending on the model. The fakes have really light construction, can't hold an edge & has a tendency to chip. Rule of thumb is if the price is too good to be true, then it's a fake.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    may tatlo akong GERBER puro pocket knife nga lang paborito ko yung isa may clip kasi kaya pwedeng-pwede sa bulsa, may isa din akong bente nuwebe at folding knife na galing batangas at isang columbia hunting knife.

dito marami kayong pagpipilian pricey nga lang Tactical Asia - Philippines Online Shopping | Tactical Outdoor

7. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    may tatlo akong GERBER puro pocket knife nga lang paborito ko yung isa may clip kasi kaya pwedeng-pwede sa bulsa, may isa din akong bente nuwebe at folding knife na galing batangas at isang columbia hunting knife.

dito marami kayong pagpipilian pricey nga lang Tactical Asia - Philippines Online Shopping | Tactical Outdoor
    Thanks for the link bro. OK naman sila? I am thinking of ordering a couple of thing from them.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have an old 10 inch blade "rambo" knife that i bought a long time ago at tagaytay picnic grove. bearing materiàl daw but never did try cutting a peso coin with it. it holds its edge. i have cut a fallen tree trunk with it pero medyo mahirap at masyado makapal ang blade and also not long enough.

i also had the p600 stainless itak/bolo sold in batangas. would have been good but it does not hold its edge well and needs frequent sharpening. lost it, hindi na sinoli sa akin ng naglinis ng house namin.

bought itak from pangasinan, nueva ecija and ilocos sur. all were suppose to be forged leaf springs. all them stores are liars. not forged at all, just plain leaf spring that were ground to shape, bend like tin cans, chipped easy and the half tangs broke on 2 of them. the ilocos one is still with me but i will get rid of it when i get a proper "itak tagalog" or "dahong palay".

i have a 4" folding in the car for emergencies, suppose to be original germany with car wind shield breaker and seat belt cutter. forgot the brand name. bought it for 3k.

meron seller before sa olx sa calookan sila. medyo pricey kasi they advertised an itak tagalog upwards of 8k. old school hot forging and quenching daw using 4140 steel. di ko na sila nakikita pa sa olx. i was interested kasi i heard from my uncles before if they needed a bolo or any farm tool made they went to this family in calookan. i was thinking baka descendants sila.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    How about those German made Solingen kitchen knives. Ang mahal!

Nabili kong Solingen brand, yung gunting ng barbero. Okay naman.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Thanks for the replies. Naisipan ko lang bumili when i came across my dad's old pocket knife, and remembered how it freaked me out when the blade would fold back if you weren't careful.

Am looking at the Boker plus CLB keycom. i like the thingy that stops your finger from sliding through to the blade. Mas maliit yung subcom but it doesn't have that notch like the keycom, and the locking mechanism doesn't seem that secure.

Prior to reading sir yebo's post, i was really sold on the leaf spring story. Me japeyks din pala. Dismayado ako sa mga machete at Ace, cheap but doesn't look sturdy.

My first "rambo" knife i bought back in my boy scout days; it's now all rusted, but still used for gardening work. At some point somebody tried to cut wood with a nail in it, ayun me bungi near the base ^_^

i've also bought Solingen knives, but made the mistake of not keeping it after use...ayun, ginamit pangtadtad ng karneng me buto. in the end we just asked the manghahasa to file it down para magamit lang.

Ang kwento naman sa amin, the knives that real kitchens use aren't SS, they rust unless you keep them oiled. The thinking is that the metal(iron i think) is easier to sharpen. And kung ginagamit naman araw araw, no chance of rust developing.
    Last edited by badkuk; December 7th, 2015 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast