New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    im planning to change the stock 205/55/16 tires of the civic to a 17" or preferably an 18" one. problem is im not sure what tire size is best.

using the tire calculator at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html , it seems that using a 205/45/18 tire was the best fit but i checked at www.tirerack.com and found that no such tires were being sold.

the available tire was a 215/45/18 one. will this size fit the civic ok? another choice was to go 215-235/40/18 but im worried that the tire might be too thin given the numerous potholes here in the metro.

what do you guys think?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kasya 225/40/18 sa FD civic.

pero bagay din yung rims ng DC5 integra and ng Civic Si coupe.

DC5 Integra

Civic Si

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There are some sizes that tirerack doesn't have that are sold here, simply because they're American market and we're basically Japanese market (+Korean, Malaysian, etcetera), with different tastes and needs in terms of tire sizes and varieties. Contrawise, some of the tires featured on tirerack aren't available locally, yet.

It's best to have a list of sizes in mind, then go shopping at local tire stores.

Yung 215 at 235/40-18, the sidewall is actually pretty thick, so you're not in extreme danger from potholes, as long as you slow down. A few months of going over potholes at speed, and you'll still get "bengkong", though... so you'll have to take it really easy on roads you're unfamiliar with.

If your car is 1.8, I'd go for the 17"... medyo mabigat ang 18". And this'll make your mags last a bit longer... mas makapal ang tires... 205/50-17 would be a good size for you, less than 1% bigger than stock, and it shouldn't tramline all over the place, or be much more susceptible to hydroplaning. Lots of good tires available in that size, too.

If you're into motorsports, Advan Neova AD07s are the most grip you can get while still having decent treadwear. If not, go for a softer, friendlier tire, like Bridgestone Potenza RE050s or Goodyear Eagle GSD3s.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If 205/50r17 is available, it would almost be the exact size for your 205/55r16. If it's not, try 215/50r17. It'll be a bit bigger overall, but it's better than 215/45r17 which is smaller than your stock tire.

IMO, though, if you can sacrifice the performance, I'd go with the 225/40r18 or 235/40r18. The 1 in bigger rim might not look much different from the stock 16s, especially if you want to go with wheels with lips.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    the thing im worried about 17 inchers is that 1 inch might not be much different from the stock 16" looks-wise and might not be worth the upgrade. 215-225/40/18 tires also fit the civic nicely according to the calculator. aside from the 18" being heavier, are there other downsides to getting 18"?

another thing, whats the approx lifespan of a 215-225/40/18 tire?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    IMO, though, if you can sacrifice the performance, I'd go with the 225/40r18 or 235/40r18. The 1 in bigger rim might not look much different from the stock 16s, especially if you want to go with wheels with lips.

yeah exactly what i was thinking... only i was already replying when u posted

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by n76p View Post
    yeah exactly what i was thinking... only i was already replying when u posted
    Hahaha! Yeah, looks like it ;)

Lookswise, the 17s might not be worth the upgrade. But performance-wise, especially if you're getting lighter wheels and grippier tires, pwedeh!

There's a shorter sidewall with the 18s (40 series vs 50 series of 17s and 55 of 16s), so you're probably going to get a little less comfortable ride. Also, a little more prone to bengkong, but then, with the potholes and craters we have, you gotta be careful.

My 18s lasted for about 3 years, I think.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    a less comfortable ride is ok for me. but performance wise, will acceleration and handling be affected much?

what tires did you have on your 18s?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Initial acceleration will be slightly slower, but you won't feel much difference at highway speeds.

Cornering will be better with 18" wheels. Thinner sidewalls means less "give" in the tires, so it'll be more secure. The downside is that the heavier wheels will bounce around more on rough roads... much more so since the Civic's shocks are so soft.

But otherwise, it's okay. Just take it easy over potholes.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ok thanks for your input. i think i will be getting the 215-225/40/18 tire. hindi naman siya sasayad when i do a full turn? what brand and model of tire do you recommend? im kind of on a tight budget kasi. around 4k lang siguro for each tire if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
what type of wheels will fit the new civic?