New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    bro, i also have a sportage gen1, 4x4 kr2 2.0l diesel MT. got it from Cagayan. Overheating issues due to worn-out cooling system hoses. solution is to clean the rad, change all cooling system hose esp the small one near the water pump, refill with coolant and distilled water and overheating problem solved. other things to look out for before buying 1st gen sporty is a faulty/leaking head gasket which is also a source for overheating and the timing belt(change with genuine mazda r2). most of us also cancelled the temperature sensor to make the fan and water pump active upon ignition. check/change all oils, grease, cv-boot and your good to go, the sportage is running smoothly at 12-14 km/L(mixed) around 10-11 km/L(city driving). most major parts are available here in zamboanga, engine is same as mazda r2, some(esp accessories) that are out of stock here, i get from goodgear, taft/edsa crossing(taft left side if going towards quiapo???). or goodgear banawe(i got my cvboots from here).

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsportage View Post
    hello po... good day!

i converted my 1st gen Sportage from gasoline to RT diesel engine. Hindi po alam nung mekaniko ko kung san nya kukunin yung line para sa Tachometer/RPM. Sana matulungan nyo po ako. So far, yun na lang po ang kulang.

Thanks in advance!
    on a diesel sportage, the tach is connected at the fuel pump. some of the guys here who change their engine to mazda r2, used the sportage fuel pump to get a working tach..

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limarj View Post
    bro, i also have a sportage gen1, 4x4 kr2 2.0l diesel MT. got it from Cagayan. Overheating issues due to worn-out cooling system hoses. solution is to clean the rad, change all cooling system hose esp the small one near the water pump, refill with coolant and distilled water and overheating problem solved. other things to look out for before buying 1st gen sporty is a faulty/leaking head gasket which is also a source for overheating and the timing belt(change with genuine mazda r2). most of us also cancelled the temperature sensor to make the fan and water pump active upon ignition. check/change all oils, grease, cv-boot and your good to go, the sportage is running smoothly at 12-14 km/L(mixed) around 10-11 km/L(city driving). most major parts are available here in zamboanga, engine is same as mazda r2, some(esp accessories) that are out of stock here, i get from goodgear, taft/edsa crossing(taft left side if going towards quiapo???). or goodgear banawe(i got my cvboots from here).
    Ah more fellow Gen 1 owners.

Thanks for the heads up, I think my next task to get my radiator flushed/overhauled (which is more effective?) since I just got most of my cooling system hoses changed from a recent overheat. I already had my transmission checked and thank goodness there's nothing wrong. The mechanic at Lucas AT just did an ATF change, inspected the pan and made some adjustments and viola I got most of my torque back.

Thanks for the tip about good gear

I'm still having trouble trying to figure out how to get an accurate milage though. Sorry for the noob question, but with my trip meter / odometer busted how does one calculate for milage? I only make an estimate that whenever my gauge reaches the red line, I refill with 500 (about 9 liters) and it always goes to the next line. Now just following google maps, my best estimate is I'm spending 9 liters every 50 km. But thats only a very rough estimate, can you guys share a more effective way of measuring?

Btw I have another question for you or other gen 1 owners out there. Would you know if its possible to fit a 98 Sportage headlight assembly on a 97? Looking at the photos and comparing them both it seems to have the same screw holes.

1998-2001

I'm dying to change my headlights and could not find a clear lens to get projectors fitted in. if I can get away with a new clear (non fluted) 98-2001 headlight I'll be a happy camper.

Any input will be very helpful thanks guys!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    some of the gen1 sportages here have those clear head/tail lights. i'll try to ask a friend mechanic, specializing in 1st gen sportages about the compatibility.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cramp View Post
    Ah more fellow Gen 1 owners.

Thanks for the heads up, I think my next task to get my radiator flushed/overhauled (which is more effective?) since I just got most of my cooling system hoses changed from a recent overheat. I already had my transmission checked and thank goodness there's nothing wrong. The mechanic at Lucas AT just did an ATF change, inspected the pan and made some adjustments and viola I got most of my torque back.

Thanks for the tip about good gear

I'm still having trouble trying to figure out how to get an accurate milage though. Sorry for the noob question, but with my trip meter / odometer busted how does one calculate for milage? I only make an estimate that whenever my gauge reaches the red line, I refill with 500 (about 9 liters) and it always goes to the next line. Now just following google maps, my best estimate is I'm spending 9 liters every 50 km. But thats only a very rough estimate, can you guys share a more effective way of measuring?

Btw I have another question for you or other gen 1 owners out there. Would you know if its possible to fit a 98 Sportage headlight assembly on a 97? Looking at the photos and comparing them both it seems to have the same screw holes.

1998-2001

I'm dying to change my headlights and could not find a clear lens to get projectors fitted in. if I can get away with a new clear (non fluted) 98-2001 headlight I'll be a happy camper.

Any input will be very helpful thanks guys!
    the clear headlights are drop fit. they cost 6k here in zamboanga, baka mas cheaper sa goodgear pasay/banawe.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Fellow 1st-gen Sportage owners!! quick question lang. san ba makikita un Chassis number for stenciling sa LTO?

Hinanap na namin sa under the seats and sa may windshield pero wala e..

Please please lang.. thanks!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limarj View Post
    the clear headlights are drop fit. they cost 6k here in zamboanga, baka mas cheaper sa goodgear pasay/banawe.
    Thanks for all the trouble si limarj! Retrofit now back on my list!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk_diggler View Post
    Fellow 1st-gen Sportage owners!! quick question lang. san ba makikita un Chassis number for stenciling sa LTO?

Hinanap na namin sa under the seats and sa may windshield pero wala e..

Please please lang.. thanks!
    Bro check mo under the right hand side of the chasis. That's where we found mine.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    guys meron ba kayong alam na Temperature Sensor na compatible sa 1st Gen Sportage? gaya nito?

Wells SU4261 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor New in Box | eBay

baka kasi yung mga binebenta na Temperature sensor dito malapit sa amin na pang ibang sasakyan(toyota, mazda, mitsu, etc.) na compatible sa sportage 96/97.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Mga Boss,

Kakabili ko lng po ng 2000 sportage ko. Pde bng magtanong kung saan mkakabili ng mga Spoiler, Fender Flares at Bumper pra sa kanya? Thanks!

Kia Sportage (1st gen)