New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DooGZ View Post
    hi guys, kakakuha ko lang ng sportage 96, tanong ko lang kung meron ba kayong kopya ng Kia Sportage 1996 User's Manual? kung saan makakapag download.

and papano ba paganahin yung 4wd niya?
    Check this forum > > > 4x4Wire's TrailTalk Forums: Viewing forum: Kia Sportage & Sorento Tech
    Maraming kang mababasa sa dito tungkol sa iyong Kia... Hope this helps..

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    hi guys, kakakuha ko lang ng sportage 96, tanong ko lang kung meron ba kayong kopya ng Kia Sportage 1996 User's Manual? kung saan makakapag download.

and papano ba paganahin yung 4wd niya?
    other than the engine, you can go to kgis : Kia Global Information System (KGIS)

BTW, check this out guys, works great on my 1st gen sporty: http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel...il-fuel-79879/

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    guys, bigla na lang ayaw mag-start nung sportage 96 AT ko, pero nagamit ko naman ng maayos before nagkaganito, 2 mekaniko and 1 electrician na yung tumingin, may redondo, pero sabi nung isang mekaniko, parang nawawalan ng kuryente yung starter kapag nag redondo, ok ang fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, mekanikal wala silang makita, and sa mga sportage owners, kapag ba sa ON pa lang yung susi dapat mag pump na yung fuel? kasi sa akin ngayon wala ako naririnig na pump, maliban na lang kung ijumper ko yung fuel pump sa may diagnostic port. may kilala ba kayong magaling na mekaniko na may diagnostic tool? tingin ng mga mekaniko ay loose connection(wiring), sensor or computer box. wag naman sana computer box kasi mahal yun. baka may ma-refer kayo, taga malolos, bulacan ako, pero willing ko naman ito gastusan basta maayos ang pagkakagawa, itinawag ko na ito sa Kia Pampanga, wala ata balak puntahan, 3 days na ako sinabihan na pupuntahan, kahit sa text hindi nagparamdam.

btw, paano ba malalaman kung computer box talaga ang sira? kasi may kamahalan yun, and buti kung may makita. TIA!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    hello po... good day!

i converted my 1st gen Sportage from gasoline to RT diesel engine. Hindi po alam nung mekaniko ko kung san nya kukunin yung line para sa Tachometer/RPM. Sana matulungan nyo po ako. So far, yun na lang po ang kulang.

Thanks in advance!

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    Kia Sportage AT - 96 - Cars for sale NCR - AyosDito.ph

Ichecheck ko to tomorrow. Gas daw po. What do you think? Ano kailangan ko icheck dito?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gentlemen, may I ask if replacement parts could be easily available in any shops? my location is in Iloilo, Im planning to buy Kia Sportage Gen. 1. . to those who could give an idea, thanks in advance

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and just wanted to share my tale. I'm a first time car owner and learning at the moment. Please be gentle with me.

Earlier this week I went out and bought a 2nd hand 1997 A/T 4X4 Kia Sportage in Sulit, not sure if this is a Gen 1, but here's a bunch of pics.

This was my first car and have not any experience buying 2nd hand vehicles.

Problems I've identified upon initial check (some were posted on the ad)

1. Power window dead on rear right side
    2. Power window on front passenger side slow to move up.
    3. Power window on rear left side slow
    4. Central lock dead
    5. Could not control windows on master driver side panel other than the driver side window
    6. No A/C
    7. Some loose sidings and minor cosmetic issues in the interior
    8. Needs a new paint job (cracks and bubbles on existing paint are evident)

I brought my Dad to check out the car and it seemed well as it starts easily and did not belch any black/white smoke from its exhaust (was to check this first). It didn't jerk when shifting from different transmission modes, although I only shifted while it was parked. After much consideration, I went ahead and bought it. The seller was asking for 145k for it, was able to haggle it down to 125k. I drove it around a bit inside the seller's village, not having any experience at all with an A/T and it was already more than 7 yrs since I last drove a car, I didn't notice anything to complain about.

After driving around the city I noticed a few things:

1. While on D, and on a highway I always get stuck around 40-50 Km/h
    2. I can feel the 2nd gear kick in with a slight jerk but could no longer reach 3rd gear after that (only revs passed 3000)
    3. On occasion will i only get to third gear, if the street is leveled
    4. uphill it seems to struggle while on D, tried switching to L but will not get any faster and only revs over
    5. Mahina ang hatak
    6. Grinding noise from the right front and rear wheels
    7. Squeaky suspension when going through humps

After experiencing these things I went to our trusted mechanic and had the following repaired:

1. Change oil
    2. Replaced wheel bearings on both right rear and front wheels
    3. Changed gear oil
    4. changed ATF
    5. A/C repairs (evaporator, dryer and thermostat switch replacement)

Yesterday after getting the car from the shop I drove from Mandaluyong to Caloocan and to Trinoma to road test. I've encountered the following

1. Still somewhat struggles with uphill or inclined roads, mahina paring ang hatak
    2. Still rarely hitting the 3rd gear while on D
    3. It overheated. Some smoke came from under the hood. Before the engine stopped, there was occasional clicking sound that came from the engine. Steering became horribly stiff. After being able to park on side of the road, i found a hose inside that was spilling water (parang gripo) whenever I would put water in the radiator.

I had the car towed (with it's rear raised and on Neutral and hand-break disengaged) back to the shop . This happened last night, and while its sunday the shop only opens until tom. I was still able to start the engine and rev a bit before leaving the car. That's a good sign right?

At this point I'm worried about a few things:

1. What other parts might have been damaged during the overheat?
    2. Was it normal that the steering became stiff? (not locked just really really hard to steer)
    3. What was the clicking sound that I heard before the engine stopped? Was it normal for an overheating engine?
    4. What can I do about the transmission not kicking into 3rd speed? Or is it just normal?
    5. Why does it feel so underpowered especially when climbing up a hill/incline?
    6. Is there a way to get the car a complete thorough check up? Where do I go to do this without being fooled?
    7. Hindi kaya casualty ng Ondoy yung car? Would that have anything to do with the transmission complaints I've mentioned above?
    8. I've read in this thread that the Gen 1 imports had problems with overheating, however I'm not sure If what I have is the local one or an import. I do have a Cancellation of Chattel Mortgage papers from BPI, so It could have been acquired locally as a brand new car back in 1997. Any way to check?

I hope to hear from you guys, I've already spent a lot at this point but I know It's what I get for getting a 2nd hand car let alone without thoroughly checking it with a mechanic. I wanted to get it for the holy week so I could practice driving on the empty streets. So that's that for my mistake. I hope someone can give some tips on what to do from this point, what's the next best step to make it road worthy again without worrying that it might break down again. And of course without spending so much.

Thanks and God bless
    -Marc

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Just an update guys.

Ive confirmed that my sportage is indeed gen 1 local. Therfore should not have overheating issues under normal maintenance.

After the busted radiator hose incident, had failing hoses replaced along with the spark plugs and burned up hi tension wires and ignition coil. They were so old that they were already crumbling. After that I went to Motor Doctor for a complete Computer diagnostic, they cleaned my Throttle body, MAF and checked my sensors. I've noticed a big improvement in my acceleration and torque even with the a/c turned on.

Looks like im 80% fixed, just need to get my transmission checked and have my ride repainted. Will update everyone. Thanks Tsikot.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cramp View Post
    Just an update guys.

Ive confirmed that my sportage is indeed gen 1 local. Therfore should not have overheating issues under normal maintenance.

After the busted radiator hose incident, had failing hoses replaced along with the spark plugs and burned up hi tension wires and ignition coil. They were so old that they were already crumbling. After that I went to Motor Doctor for a complete Computer diagnostic, they cleaned my Throttle body, MAF and checked my sensors. I've noticed a big improvement in my acceleration and torque even with the a/c turned on.

Looks like im 80% fixed, just need to get my transmission checked and have my ride repainted. Will update everyone. Thanks Tsikot.

Hi cramp,

AFAIK, models from 96-2000 are 1st gen, kamusta na sportage mo? 96 model ang sakin, ang malaking problem na na-encounter ko dito ay yung high tension wire(loose na yung connector sa coil) and yung cam shaft sensor.

pwede ko malaman kung saan ka nakabili ng high tension wire? ginawan lang kasi ng remedyo yung sakin. TIA!

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DooGZ View Post
    Hi cramp,

AFAIK, models from 96-2000 are 1st gen, kamusta na sportage mo? 96 model ang sakin, ang malaking problem na na-encounter ko dito ay yung high tension wire(loose na yung connector sa coil) and yung cam shaft sensor.

pwede ko malaman kung saan ka nakabili ng high tension wire? ginawan lang kasi ng remedyo yung sakin. TIA!
    Hi Bro! Nice to see a fellow gen 1 sportage owner! :clap:

Medyo mahirap nga maghanap ng parts para sa car nation . I got a tension wire replacement from a mechanic here in mandaluyong. Pero old school lang sila when it comes to repairs (no computer diagnostics) expertise nil a is mostly body work and mechanical, Ac din and electrical, not sure if they can help you with your cam shaft sensor. Pero i was able to get a few parts from him for my Sportage.

You can contact him at 09159090482 (Emer). His shop is Bal's Welding Shop, Sgt Bumatay in Brgy Plainview in Mandaluyong. Google map link below.

Google Maps

Btw, baka you know a place din where I can get clear headlight lenses for my 97 sportage?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Kia Sportage (1st gen)