New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sana may big man dito na taga Isuzu na makabasa nito para sana matake note nya mga wish list natin para sa Crosswind.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Only one modification needed:

Build the next one on the D-Max platform. Give us Crosswind drivers a halfway decent chance of surviving a crash, will you, Isuzu?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lastpogi View Post
    sana may big man dito na taga Isuzu na makabasa nito para sana matake note nya mga wish list natin para sa Crosswind.
    I really hope so... One of the reasons why I started this thread.

* sir niky - I agree with you, I've seen a photo here in tsikot,(I forgot where) When a crosswind hit the rear of a santa fe (i think) and the rear bumper of the santa fe has a scratch, while the front bumper of crosswind is merely destroyed. Parang napisa. hehe.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Naku! ganun pala kabulok yung crash performance ng Crosswind? And to think na wala itong mga safety features...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Naku! ganun pala kabulok yung crash performance ng Crosswind? And to think na wala itong mga safety features...
    I highly doubt if this aspect is intentionally neglected by ISUZU. The vehicle may have originated in Indonesia but surely it would not go past thru the safety standards by a reputable automotive brand like ISUZU. For i know, may crumple zones ang Crosswind and side impact beams too.

Lest not we forget that the best way to save our/ones life is by buckling up.... lalo na yung nasa 1st row.
    Last edited by Benzmizer; August 9th, 2010 at 11:20 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    I highly doubt if this aspect is intentionally neglected by ISUZU. The vehicle may have originated in Indonesia but surely it would not go past thru the safety standards by a reputable automotive brand like ISUZU. For i know, may crumple zones ang Crosswind and side impact beams too.

Lest not we forget that the best way to save our/ones life is by buckling up.... lalo na yung nasa 1st row.
    The plain fact of the matter is that the Crosswind is ancient.

The Crosswind's body is entirely steel. While even the D-Max bumpers are made of high-impact plastic, covering reinforced steel beam bumpers, the Crosswind bumper covers are still steel.

In order to save some weight and money (because steel is expensive), the steel used is soft. I've damaged the reinforcement beams in the roof just by stretching my arms! And I'm sure other owners will also pipe in about doors coming out of alignment. Something that was common with cars in the 80s and early 90s, but unheard of elsewhere nowadays.

The Crosswind isn't built to meet any modern crash standards. The build and structure are exactly the same as they were ten years ago, and not much better than the fifteen year old HiLander, which was based on an even older pick-up. The only way you could do worse in terms of crash safety nowadays is to buy an L300. Which is more ancient, with the added bonus of having the driver sit in front of the engine.

The best thing that Isuzu can do at this point is create a D-Max based Crosswind (would that be so hard? The IPV is D-Max based) so at least it would meet minimum requirements in the US and Europe (about 1-2 stars... but still better than nothing).

A D-Max based Crosswind will probably cost around 100k pesos more for the base model... but it'd be worth it. I still shake my head at people who buy top-of-the-line XUVs (yes, we own one... and IMHO, going for top-of-the-line was stupid... but we weren't paying for it. ), since you're getting car loaded with cheap monitors, leather (the leather on the old XTO was better) and chrome for hundreds of thousands of pesos more than the car is worth.

Come to think of it... there already is a D-Max based three-row car. Isuzu calls it the Alterra. And it's hella expensive.
    Last edited by niky; August 10th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Well the IPV was originally a D-Max cab and chassis laden with the passenger box. AFAIK that cab and chassis was itself already available elsewhere (Thailand I think?) along with the single cab version. With the Crosswind they'll have to make lots of changes... And with the current Crosswind selling like hotcakes I doubt they're gonna make that effort. And then if they really did, all three vehicles sold here would have the exact same platform. If only that top Isuzu honcho from Davao (if memory serves me right) who ordered the taller ride height HiLander and the Fuego exclusive for the PH Market could read this right now...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I agree on you guys, in our school, just yesterday I saw the new crosswind at the parking at the back of our hi lander, maroon color also same with our hi lander. All I can say is, sayang naman yung pera nung bumili nun, the person could opt for a better ride, kasi parang overpriced na yun masyado (Para sa akin).

The only thing I like about the crosswind is the engine, and that's it. I like the engine because of its durability, and not by its super dooper power. no offense. But its powerful enough to go anywhere. But not as what CRDi engines can give.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I think the biggest and most important modification is how Isuzuphil view this vehicle. Its the most expensive without an airbag in it.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    I think the biggest and most important modification is how Isuzuphil view this vehicle. Its the most expensive without an airbag in it.
    Airbags are only 1/100th of the safety issues the Crosswind has. Ancient crash structure, no ABS, weak brakes, tippy ride height, lack of proper pre-tensioner three-point seatbelts in the rear.

While we keep our Crosswind for heavy duty use and emergencies (typhoons), I refuse to drive it on the highway in the rain with my daughter on board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Isuzu Crosswind/Sportivo body and engine modifications/suggestions.