New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Just helping out a friend planning to get a 2nd hand Starex, preferably 2003-2004 model. Ok pa rin ba iyung TDIC version? I've heard the CRDI is a lot faster, but the TDIC is cheaperto maintain. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fabilioh View Post
    Just helping out a friend planning to get a 2nd hand Starex, preferably 2003-2004 model. Ok pa rin ba iyung TDIC version? I've heard the CRDI is a lot faster, but the TDIC is cheaperto maintain. Thanks in advance!
    CRDI. period.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The TDIC is simpler and cheaper to maintain, and it's more than enough engine for the Starex.

If this vehicle will be used as a service vehicle, that might be the better choice... heck... if you have no need for speed and plan to do no heavy hauling... it will likely do as a family vehicle, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Doesn't the CRDI system have problems with the (low) quality of our local diesel fuel?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Doesn't the CRDI system have problems with the (low) quality of our local diesel fuel?
    Not any more than other CRDi systems... and possibly less.

But yeah, it is a concern if you're going to keep it for more than five years or 150,000 kms, which is why I prefer the TDIC.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I'd rather look at it based on the condition of the Starex you're looking at, ok naman both CRDI or TCI for the old Starex. Kung alin sa dalawa ang makita na maganda ang condition , yun ang bibilihin ko regardless kung TCI o CRDI yung makina.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

If it is for family use, it will be more cost effective to maintain a TDIC (TCI) variant.... Again, power is not a concern for a Starex with TDIC (TCI) engine.

9202:toothbrush:

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the replies

It IS actually going to be a both a service and family vehicle, to transport family members to and from the office(quite a big family)

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    TDIC. If you do get a CRDi, try to get one with just 30-40,000 kms on the clock... avoid those at 100,000 or over. If it's over 100,000 but has had an injector replacement, well and good. ;)

This is not to say that all Starexes require injector replacements... but it's mere prudence. It's the same reason I wouldn't buy a secondhand automatic with over 100,000 kilometers on it unless I'm intimately familiar with the condition of the car. (many people won't follow warranty after 60,000 kms... and if they've done 40,000 kms or more without changing the ATF reguarly, the tranny will be in really cruddy condition)

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    TDIC. If you do get a CRDi, try to get one with just 30-40,000 kms on the clock... avoid those at 100,000 or over. If it's over 100,000 but has had an injector replacement, well and good. ;)

This is not to say that all Starexes require injector replacements... but it's mere prudence. It's the same reason I wouldn't buy a secondhand automatic with over 100,000 kilometers on it unless I'm intimately familiar with the condition of the car. (many people won't follow warranty after 60,000 kms... and if they've done 40,000 kms or more without changing the ATF reguarly, the tranny will be in really cruddy condition)

Thanks niky The reason why I always prefer M/T over A/T when it comes to 2nd hand cars.

What about fuel consumption? I've read also that the TDICs are somewhat on the thirsty side?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Starex TDIC or CRDI