Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
It's not specific to just the L-series. 190-215°F (88-101°C) is roughly the optimal operating temp of most engines.
Yup.

With regards to the idiot lamp, the probable reasons they've done away with the analog temp meter is that, modern engines are so efficient that overheating is about as rare as you running out of oil. But primarily, it helps drive down the cost of manufacturing.
A sweep gauge isn't that expensive to make. The reason they're trying to simplify is to give you less clutter and allow you to keep your eyes on the road more, which is safer.

Also, even with cars equipped with analog temp meters, it doesn't show the actual temp in a linear fashion. The needle usually stops in the middle (to signify that the engine temp is within the optimal range) and stays there, regardless of driving or traffic conditions. So, the Jazz/Fit/City designers thought to just make an idiot light representing the engine temp (blue, no light and red). It virtually shows the same thing.
Here, I disagree.

I've staved off impending disasters and overheats by occassionally glancing at my gauge. Even if you don't know the temperature on the markings, you'll know when it's sitting high. Even a tiny fraction of a degree of change in readings can signal something wrong. I've watched a cylinder head crack on the temperature gauge (loooong ago... on the Sentra, engine rebuilt after a flood)... it showed up as a mere twitch of the needle, but I instantly knew something was wrong.

Blips can also show you that coolant is boiling, as the needle twitches when a superheated air bubble passes the probe. That tells you to pull over, stop, and let the engine cool down.

For a brand new car, these aren't issues. But for cars passing three or five years of age, with possible cracked hoses, radiator fans that might be starting to show signs of slowing down and thermostats that are near their sell-by date, or high-performance cars or off-roaders driven on the track or trail, an analog water temperature gauge is a good idea.

And an oil temperature gauge... and an oil pressure gauge... just to be on the safe side...