New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's not specific to just the L-series. 190-215°F (88-101°C) is roughly the optimal operating temp of most engines.
    Yup.

With regards to the idiot lamp, the probable reasons they've done away with the analog temp meter is that, modern engines are so efficient that overheating is about as rare as you running out of oil. But primarily, it helps drive down the cost of manufacturing.
    A sweep gauge isn't that expensive to make. The reason they're trying to simplify is to give you less clutter and allow you to keep your eyes on the road more, which is safer.

Also, even with cars equipped with analog temp meters, it doesn't show the actual temp in a linear fashion. The needle usually stops in the middle (to signify that the engine temp is within the optimal range) and stays there, regardless of driving or traffic conditions. So, the Jazz/Fit/City designers thought to just make an idiot light representing the engine temp (blue, no light and red). It virtually shows the same thing.
    Here, I disagree.

I've staved off impending disasters and overheats by occassionally glancing at my gauge. Even if you don't know the temperature on the markings, you'll know when it's sitting high. Even a tiny fraction of a degree of change in readings can signal something wrong. I've watched a cylinder head crack on the temperature gauge (loooong ago... on the Sentra, engine rebuilt after a flood)... it showed up as a mere twitch of the needle, but I instantly knew something was wrong.

Blips can also show you that coolant is boiling, as the needle twitches when a superheated air bubble passes the probe. That tells you to pull over, stop, and let the engine cool down.

For a brand new car, these aren't issues. But for cars passing three or five years of age, with possible cracked hoses, radiator fans that might be starting to show signs of slowing down and thermostats that are near their sell-by date, or high-performance cars or off-roaders driven on the track or trail, an analog water temperature gauge is a good idea.

And an oil temperature gauge... and an oil pressure gauge... just to be on the safe side...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The oil pressure gauge will go in the Patrol, niky. hehehe.

Yup, manufacturers may think we don't drive cars beyond 5 years or we don't care about what's going on under the hood.

My friend's Lancer MX almost overheated had no one noticed the needle starting to sweep up. Had this been an idiot light, the only thing the driver would see would be the overheat symbol telling you it's 'game over'.

Even the Picanto doesn't have temp gauge anymore. Tsk tsk.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found out how to connect a temp probe to the Jazz cooling system. Auto Gauge manufactures an in-line hose adaptor with a threaded fitting (for the sensor). Just cut the hose, put the metal adaptor in between and secure with the supplied clamps. Costs Php600/ at Concorde (must be Cheaper in Banawe).

Now, does anyone know the rad hose diameter of the Jazz?

Here is how the adaptor looks like:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found out how to connect a temp probe to the Jazz cooling system. Auto Gauge manufactures an in-line hose adaptor with a threaded fitting (for the sensor). Just cut the hose, put the metal adaptor in between and secure with the supplied clamps. Costs Php600/ at Concorde (must be Cheaper in Banawe).

Now, does anyone know the rad hose diameter of the Jazz?

Here is how the adaptor looks like:

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I was going to reply with the radiator sandwich plate Beat me to it

Speedlab does that too if you want to skip the DIY.
    http://www.speedlab.com.ph/accessories.php?id=1

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Did some asking around, it appears the radiator hose is 2" in diameter. HTHs

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Did some asking around, it appears the radiator hose is 2" in diameter. HTHs

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    with the prize of a Jazz, walang water temp. gauge? hindi ba basic equipment ito?

tama ba pagkakaintindi ko, ito rin yung temp. gauge na dapat hindi lumalagpas sa "normal" or nasa kalahati lang dapat ang reading?

baka next time, fuel gauge nalang ang nasa dashboard hehe.

Most important/necessity things/gauges :

Fuel Gauge, Speedometer (Odomoter), Temperature Gauge.

Not really needed gauges :

Tachometer, Oil pressure gauge, Voltmeter/Voltgauge

Kung iisipin mo, talo pa nga ng jeepneys natin ang mga auto hehe. lahat ng gauge kumpleto.
    Last edited by p_borj; February 16th, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p_borj View Post
    with the prize of a Jazz, walang water temp. gauge? hindi ba basic equipment ito?

tama ba pagkakaintindi ko, ito rin yung temp. gauge na dapat hindi lumalagpas sa "normal" or nasa kalahati lang dapat ang reading?

baka next time, fuel gauge nalang ang nasa dashboard hehe.

Most important/necessity things/gauges :

Fuel Gauge, Speedometer (Odomoter), Temperature Gauge.

Not really needed gauges :

Tachometer, Oil pressure gauge, Voltmeter/Voltgauge

Kung iisipin mo, talo pa nga ng jeepneys natin ang mga auto hehe. lahat ng gauge kumpleto.
    Maybe you should lambast Toyota as well as they actually pioneered the deletion of the temperature gauge back in 1998 with the original Echo/Yaris.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Let's not be too hard. Did some research yesterday and turns out even 70's Chevy Novas, standard gauges only included speed, fuel, time. Other functions were handled by idiot lights but the other gauges were options.

Type100,
    That's a big help. Planning to do it somewhat DIY or via my usual installers. The temp gauge costs Php500 (with sensor probe, no hose adaptor), oil pressure gauge costs Php350 (with sensor probe, no oil filter adaptor). Volt meter retails for Php400.

I was initially thinking of doing a row of 3 gauges under the OEM radio/head unit comprising of temp, volts, vacuum. But now I'm thinking of putting an oil pressure gauge instead because of the unavailability of a matching vacuum gauge.

Any idea how much the hose adaptor and oil filter adaptor would cost? Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the crazy prices at Concorde.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Help: Putting in a temp gauge (07 Jazz)