New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I don't know exactly if this is the right place to put this.

Anyway, I noticed that most motorist here in the Philippines don't bother to turn on their headlamps during dusk and when night almost falls.

I find myself one of the few willing to turn on my headlamp starting at dusk and onwards.

I wonder what seems to be problem? Is it just bad habit?

Most common reason I have heard is that in turning on the vehicle's headlamp might drain the car battery.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Pride of having excellent eyesight?

I turn on my headlights right away since my car has really dark tint. I have encountered vehicles that do NOT turn on their headlights at all in the evening (after 7 pm! )

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I'm pretty sure a huge majority of drivers have poorer eyesight than me, but I turn my lights on as soon as the sun begins to set, even if the road's still visible. Dusk poses a high risk of accidents because of the rapidly changing lighting conditions.

In my previous company, we were actually required to have our headlights on for all business travels, even in broad daylight.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I'm pretty sure a huge majority of drivers have poorer eyesight than me, but I turn my lights on as soon as the sun begins to set, even if the road's still visible. Dusk poses a high risk of accidents because of the rapidly changing lighting conditions.

In my previous company, we were actually required to have our headlights on for all business travels, even in broad daylight.
    sir, just curious on this. did they explain why they require headlights to be on during the day?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    sir, just curious on this. did they explain why they require headlights to be on during the day?
    You're more visible to oncoming motorists, hence they are more likely to notice your presence and avoid colliding with you.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    You're more visible to oncoming motorists, hence they are more likely to notice your presence and avoid colliding with you.
    I've encountered a vehicle like this at SLEX but it got me confused. I dunno if he does not want me to switch to his lane or he just prefers that his lights are on.

I automatically switch on my lights at covered parking areas. It became a habit for me because we are required at our office parking space.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    The purpose of headlights are for us to see at night, and to be visible to other drivers at dusk or dawn or when it rains. It is required for motorists in some countries in Europe to turn on headlights the moment you use your wipers. Daytime running lights (DRL) were invented to improve daytime visibility. Motorcycles are required in other countries, other than wearing visible/reflective clothing, to have their lights on at all times, most motorcycles nowadays are hotwired to be on the moment you start the engine. Some local underbone bikes have headlights which are wired to be on the moment you twist the key, but some motorcyclists add switches to turn them off to save on bulb replacement costs. I'd rather be visible and save lives than save cash.
    Last edited by Radical!; June 15th, 2015 at 10:34 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical! View Post
    The purpose of headlights are for us to see at night, and to be visible to other drivers at dusk or dawn or when it rains. It is required for motorists in some countries in Europe to turn on headlights the moment you use your wipers. Daytime running lights (DRL) were invented to improve daytime visibility. Motorcycles are required in other countries, other than wearing visible/reflective clothing, to have their lights on at all times, most motorcycles nowadays are hotwired to be on the moment you start the engine. Some local underbone bikes have headlights which are wired to be on the moment you twist the key, but some motorcyclists add switches to turn them off to save on bulb replacement costs. I'd rather be visible and save lives than save cash.
    I agree with you but only up to a certain point.

DRLs were originally required in some countries or regions that has year-round less than ideal weather conditions. Most of Europe and countries near the north and south pole falls under that category. But in a tropical country such as the Philippines, it's an absolute nuisance. Headlamps should be one of those things that the driver has full control of; OFF when not needed and ON if sound judgment calls for it. Some mid or top-tier cars have an AUTO option that will automatically turn on the lights when driving through a tunnel, for example. But indiscriminately having it turned ON even in broad daylight and perfect weather is really uncalled for. I'll accept motorbikes to have DRLs and I think it's justified. But on cars? The main negative impact of DRLs on cars is that the glare from them tends to mask motorcycles, bicyclists, and pedestrians, as I mentioned earlier.

Now, just because some countries are using it, it doesn't mean it will be beneficial for all other countries. You will have to understand under which context these safety features are most effective at.

Even the US DOT/NHTSA have this to say:

"The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effect on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the drl effects were also not statistically significant. When examined separately for passenger cars and light trucks / van (LTVs) , drls in LTVs significantly reduced LTVs involvement in the target two vehicle by 5.7 percent. However, the remaining drl effects on these three target crashes were not statistically significiant. Although not statistically significant, drls might have unintended consequences for pedestrains and motorcycles. Particularly, the estimated negitive effects for LTV's were relatively large and cannont be completely ignored.
    For those who care to read the actual study: http://www.regulations.gov/contentSt...ontentType=pdf

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I agree with you but only up to a certain point.
    Ditto.

Dipped headlights and the more ubiquitous, LED DRLs under a bright summer day in a tropical country like ours will not cause glare enough to mask other smaller vehicles and pedestrians. Perhaps the bright rays of the sun or its reflection on tinted vehicles and chrome jeepneys will. How often do we experience the sun shining directly on us, albeit only briefly and the sunshade doesn't help since there are small gaps where the sun's rays still go thru? But I'm being scrupulous.

I agree that just because some countries are using it, it doesn't automatically become beneficial for us. Same logic holds true with the statistical analysis of the US DOT/NHTSA. Let's admit it, our country is unique. You and I are responsible (and sensible) enough to turn our lights on in certain driving conditions. But we have drivers of public vehicles, jeepneys in particular who, in some cases, refuse to turn on their headlights even at night, and in some cases, private motorists who forget (?) to turn on their lights when poor visibility calls for it. So maybe, we do need to hotwire DRLs on our vehicles, lest we forget to turn them on.

Last edited by Radical!; June 15th, 2015 at 05:02 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    "Eka nga daw ng ibang driver pag nakailaw ka bulag ka raw"
    but it's for your safety and other motorists safety!!
    Anyway I turn my parklight/headlights in tunnels,Parking entrance, When the clouds is dark/raining or when it's dark already, sometimes I get irritated by Black cars driving at night without headlights pasalamat sila nakikita ko sila kahit super dark tint ng kotse ko and I barely use my foglights in city streets and highway parang I don't need those light in the metro and parang nakakasilaw pa nga ang foglights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast