New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    where did this happen? it looks like you're in the US, but what city?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    where did this happen? it looks like you're in the US, but what city?
    Say M54, you're in Florida. Does traffic there slow down to a crawl during massive downpours? last time I was there along I-10 at the Panhandle, a huge downpour just let loose. Traffic slowed to 10 mph and everyone had their flashers on. Wipers at maximum didn't have any effect. The amount of rain falling was that hard.

There was one Chevy Blazer that came tearing out of nowhere at 40 mph and splashed water everywhere. The cops nailed him. Apparently, the cops called for backup because 2 other cop cruisers appeared.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 24th, 2006 at 03:52 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Say M54, you're in Florida. Does traffic there slow down to a crawl during massive downpours? last time I was there along I-10 at the Panhandle, a huge downpour just let loose. Traffic slowed to 10 mph and everyone had their flashers on. Wipers at maximum didn't have any effect. The amount of rain falling was that hard.

There was one Chevy Blazer that came tearing out of nowhere at 40 mph and splashed water everywhere. The cops nailed him. Apparently, the cops called for backup because 2 other cop cruisers appeared.
    yeah, it happens very often during the summer and early fall - monsoon like downpours. especially where i live, which is pretty close to the Florida Everglades. thankfully they don't last too long, so the smart people slow down or pull over and wait it out.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by n2knee View Post
    downhill yung daan at madilim. i don't even recall if there was a speed sign. ang dilim...

...i was not putting anybody's life in danger...
    since it was really dark (less visibility), you should have been driving slower than the posted speed limit, IMO.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    yeah, it happens very often during the summer and early fall - monsoon like downpours. especially where i live, which is pretty close to the Florida Everglades. thankfully they don't last too long, so the smart people slow down or pull over and wait it out.
    Ok. But, it was a nasty shock to see my wipers having no effect. It's much worse than the totally obscured fog conditions I see in California, especially at the initial pouring of the rain when I'm within a solid body of cars who all dropped speed from 75 mph to 10 mph in a few seconds.

Florida is also pretty far south. I imagine it gets dark there quickly with little twilight between sundown and night (just like the Philippines). All the more to slow down at night.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 24th, 2006 at 04:27 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    You can contest the proof of insurance but I doubt you can call it entrapment. For it to be considered entrapment there must have been something done by the police to entice you to speed, being out of site is not considered enticing you to speed. Ask yourself would you have been speeding even if the cop wasn't around? Your answer probably would be yes so the only difference is you got caught because you didn't see the cop. It's a cat and mouse game, you're the mouse he is the cat and this time the cat caught you.

Also please don't call them "pigs" they are law enforcement officers who put their life on the line everyday when they go to work. You won't think of them as "pigs" the next time you need them. As you can tell I am also one of the members who don't take kindly to cops being called "pigs" since they are my brothers in uniform. I have seen too many of my brothers in uniform(and an uncle)die in the line of duty not to be insulted by your "pigs" comment.

You got caught speeding take it like a MAN and pay your fine but don't be a whiner.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    You can contest the proof of insurance but I doubt you can call it entrapment. For it to be considered entrapment there must have been something done by the police to entice you to speed, being out of site is not considered enticing you to speed. Ask yourself would you have been speeding even if the cop wasn't around? Your answer probably would be yes so the only difference is you got caught because you didn't see the cop. It's a cat and mouse game, you're the mouse he is the cat and this time the cat caught you.

Also please don't call them "pigs" they are law enforcement officers who put their life on the line everyday when they go to work. You won't think of them as "pigs" the next time you need them. As you can tell I am also one of the members who don't take kindly to cops being called "pigs" since they are my brothers in uniform. I have seen too many of my brothers in uniform(and an uncle)die in the line of duty not to be insulted by your "pigs" comment.

You got caught speeding take it like a MAN and pay your fine but don't be a whiner.

Yes. I agree with Redorange.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Also please don't call them "pigs"
    Definitely not. I hold them in high regard too. But sometimes, it's not easy to resist making coffee and doughnut jokes..... all in jest, of course when you're not in trouble with the law. It's not something to be brought up if he's writing you a ticket.

Much as I hate to believe it, I've seen many cops do a Dunkin Donut run. To be fair, so does many city workers. But, it's always special when it's a cop.

Add: I should add anyone who had to be wide awake by 4:30 in the morning........
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 24th, 2006 at 07:12 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Much as I hate to believe it, I've seen many cops do a Dunkin Donut run. To be fair, so does many city workers. But, it's always special when it's a cop.
    my friend from LAPD told me the truth behind this. it appears that back in the day, Dunkin Donuts stores kept getting robbed because they were always open at odd hours. so, as a preventive measure, the company decided to offer free food and coffee to any uniformed police officer. it was a big win for everyone - DD got its crime deterrent, the cops got free food, and comedians everywhere got material for new jokes

Ok. But, it was a nasty shock to see my wipers having no effect.
    it is scary. but you did the right thing by slowing way down. too many people think they're invincible...ayun dun sila napupulot sa kangkungan (or canal) :bwahaha:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BTTT, it's hard for me to take sides on this. on one hand, n2knee obviously was breaking the speed limit, so it's hard to defend that. we all speed, but if you get caught - yes, you take it like a man.

on the other hand, i have been on the receiving end of rude, arrogant, and even abusive behavior from police officers. no question that these people lay their lives on the line for our safety, but like every occupation, there are 'bad apples with a badge' out there that give a bad name to all of their brethren. i can tell you from experience or observation that many of those Hollywood stories about bad/abusive/racist/corrupt cops have happened in reality. of course, there are also many upstanding, honest and polite cops out there as well.

much as cops demand our respect for the jobs that they do, we too demand respect even if we have been caught violating road rules. especially if we are acting in a non-threatening, respectful manner.

--------------------

however, rereading this story i can't see what the cops did wrong when they pulled you over. that, plus referring to them as "whitey" and "brownie" in an obviously derogatory manner will not warm a lot of people to your side
    Last edited by empy; September 24th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
got pulled over for doing 35 on a 25..