New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanren View Post
    IMO, mas taxing sa Kennon dahil sa masikip na lane. Imagine kung masyadong mabagal yung sinusundan mo (i.e. truck), you might stay on the low gear (2nd or 3rd) kasi minsan hirap mag overtake. I was once caught in a kilometer long traffic dahil tatlong mahahabang trucks na magkakasunod ang nasa unahan. We virtually had to crawl at snail's pace.

Compared to marcos highway (my Lynx can traverse it often on 3rd or 4th gear), marcos allows you more room to manuever around. Ibang usapan na pag nasa Badiwan Taloy Sur na. Diyan mo na mate test yung Torque power.
    well said bro hanren, pero di ba binawal na nila yung heavy vehicle sa kennon? ito ang palaging sinasabi ko kay misis kahit 2-heavily loaded truck convoy lang ay dapat ibawal (pag walang laman sigurado akong makipag karera pa sa iyo ang mga trck). IMO, aspiras (marcos) hiway is the less taxing among the 3.
    sa question ng TS: yes, am from baguio but bought my ride from dagupan and went home using my newly acquired car after visiting manaoag shrine but off course i don't race it.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    IMHO, Kennon is not so safe in terms of erosion and landslides. Mas madami at mas masikip ang mga 1-way sa kennon unlike Marcos. Pero mas matagal nga ang pag akyat via Marcos at mas strained ang makina. Pero di bale na yung makina ang hirap kesa sa tao -- kung maaksidente.

Yes, my car has been up twice na even though wala pang 1 year yung car ko. Sa lakas ng akyat niya, feeling ko kaya ko mag-tow ng ibang sasakyan on top of being fully loaded AND still overtake the trucks.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Don't take Kennon Rd during or after a downpour. Those are the times when the risk from landslides and/or falling rocks is very high. I made it a habit to stop at Rosario, La Union (at the lower end of Kennon) to take a leak, rest or snack - and ask the locals if it rained or not. When I don't have the time I just call a friend in Baguio and ask. I only go through Marcos Highway if Kennon is too risky or closed.

And if you're not yet familiar with your car's climbing power ... just maintain a comfortable speed and don't wait too long to downshift because it might be too late. The trip back down will give you plenty of chance to practice your engine-braking skills, so don't rely on your brakes alone.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumusut_Amige View Post
    well said bro hanren, pero di ba binawal na nila yung heavy vehicle sa kennon? ito ang palaging sinasabi ko kay misis kahit 2-heavily loaded truck convoy lang ay dapat ibawal (pag walang laman sigurado akong makipag karera pa sa iyo ang mga trck). IMO, aspiras (marcos) hiway is the less taxing among the 3.
    sa question ng TS: yes, am from baguio but bought my ride from dagupan and went home using my newly acquired car after visiting manaoag shrine but off course i don't race it.
    Yes sir binawal na ng DOTC ang mga trucks pati mga public vehicles pero dami pa rin pasaway. I suspect those convoy of trucks carrying gravel, sand, and stones just came from a quarrying operation along Kennon road. IMO, Kennon and Marcos present different risks-sa Kennon falling rocks at sa Marcos naman (lalo na sa Badiwan Taloy Sur where almost all accidents occur) eh thick fog. I attached a picture taken by my wife during one of our travels back to baguio taken along Marcos highway last New Year's day.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    The trip back down will give you plenty of chance to practice your engine-braking skills, so don't rely on your brakes alone.
    +1000000

It's also a good way of determining how your engine and transmission perform engine braking, especially if you have a tachometer in your dashboard.

From our experience, second gear and a ready foot on the brake pedal will suffice for most of the downhill stretches from Baguio.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    thanks for the reply but can it climb using 2nd gear or should i use 1st gear & will it strain the engine if i will be using 1st gear at high rpm all the time?
    The stretch you'll need 1st gear is relatively short, less than 1/2 a kilometer and it's easy driving after that. It shouldn't worry you much.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Yes, my car has been up twice na even though wala pang 1 year yung car ko. Sa lakas ng akyat niya, feeling ko kaya ko mag-tow ng ibang sasakyan on top of being fully loaded AND still overtake the trucks.

in times like these that you really get to appreciate the capabilities of the FXT (lalo na pag umuulan ). it's almost not fair, kasi it seems like the higher the elevation, the better it performs.

most cars should be able to make the trek to baguio.
    Last edited by wren; January 19th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    drove up baguio using my 1.3 cvt jazz last december. i neede to use the Sport mode with 7 speed manual shifting to go up. by maintaining thr RPM at around 3.5k, the climb was easy. however during full stops at inclines inside baguio, i experience moving backward first despite flooring the accelerator. this is with an average of 3 people aboard. apart from that, loved driving it on its first long trip.

highway "salubungan driving" was easy, with 5 people aboard, i had no problems overtaking slower vehicles.
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanren View Post
    Yes sir binawal na ng DOTC ang mga trucks pati mga public vehicles pero dami pa rin pasaway. I suspect those convoy of trucks carrying gravel, sand, and stones just came from a quarrying operation along Kennon road. IMO, Kennon and Marcos present different risks-sa Kennon falling rocks at sa Marcos naman (lalo na sa Badiwan Taloy Sur where almost all accidents occur) eh thick fog. I attached a picture taken by my wife during one of our travels back to baguio taken along Marcos highway last New Year's day.
    i considered this as the most daring part while driving up or down to Baguio. had my own encounter pero sa Naguilian road naman, around 630 pm and my fog light proved useless (kailangan na sigurong palitan with an aftermarket class). visibility i guess was 10 ft, just depend on the cat's eye reflectors plus my acquaintance of the road per se.

And if you're not yet familiar with your car's climbing power ... just maintain a comfortable speed and don't wait too long to downshift because it might be too late. The trip back down will give you plenty of chance to practice your engine-braking skills, so don't rely on your brakes alone.
    so true, am using an AT tranny... had to down shift on those quite descent road segment too.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    DonT...I think the best test would be Manila - Banawe - Sagada - Baguio - Manila. Kinaya ng 6 yr old Honda sedan ko yan. It was in the month of May kaya may kasama pang konting floods, mud, rain.

If you want an ultimate test to your ride, ibiyahe nyo ng Manila to Mindanao..via Atimonan Quezon's Bitukang Manok to test the uphill climbing capability, sakay nyo ng Ferry boat sa Matnog Sorsogon..take the rough roads and potholes of Samar..take the long winding roads of Southern Leyte..another ferry boat from Liloan Leyte to Surigao..and cruise the mountainous stretch to Davao... Twice ko na ginawa ito with my Pajero.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Can You Take your new ride To Baguio?