New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    good day po fellow tsikoters.. we're planning to travell from davao going to cagayan de oro via butuan route. that's approximately 481kms. actually there's a shorter route via bukidnon approximately 295kms but i'm going to cruise on uphill mountains and very steep downhill when you reach the top of the mountain going to bukidnon. the road is not a problem because davao-bukidnon highway is flawless asphalt. im worried my motor might not able to pass thru there so that's why im considering butuan route even if its almost twice as far as bukidnon route. what do you think? should i go for butuan route or bukidnon route? can you suggest what im going to do to condition my car. what are the things to check on my car? btw my car is 97 ek civic lxi with 5 heavy weight passengers. tia

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    The things that i should check if im going to travel that long are the cooling system, mechanical, electrical and the engine.
    -check for any leak, reservoir, radiator, water pump, radiator hose, thermostat
    -check the mechanical of front and rear wheel (tie rod, ball joint, power steering, bushing, bearings, shocks etc) have them grease and also dont forget the brakes, check the thickness of pads and any sign of fluid leak
    -check the electrical connections inside the hood, the tightness of battery terminal, insulation of the wires, possible loosening of wires. if you have multimeter check the charging of alternator, at engine idle the voltage should be between 13.6 to 14.3 volts. If not the alternator may need replacing.
    -check for busted bulbs (switch on the parklight, head light, signal light etc) i suggest you bring extra bulb if in case the bulb get busted during the travel.
    -and now the engine, check the belts if you seen formation of cracks replace it, any sign of oil leak kung meron pagawa agad.

additional:
    change oil, filter and fuel filter na din

and last dont forget to bring atleast 1gal of extra water for emergency purpose only.

let see what others will say baka may idagdag pa sila, lets wait

good luck

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Esnie.com View Post
    The things that i should check if im going to travel that long are the cooling system, mechanical, electrical and the engine.
    -check for any leak, reservoir, radiator, water pump, radiator hose, thermostat
    -check the mechanical of front and rear wheel (tie rod, ball joint, power steering, bushing, bearings, shocks etc) have them grease and also dont forget the brakes, check the thickness of pads and any sign of fluid leak
    -check the electrical connections inside the hood, the tightness of battery terminal, insulation of the wires, possible loosening of wires. if you have multimeter check the charging of alternator, at engine idle the voltage should be between 13.6 to 14.3 volts. If not the alternator may need replacing.
    -check for busted bulbs (switch on the parklight, head light, signal light etc) i suggest you bring extra bulb if in case the bulb get busted during the travel.
    -and now the engine, check the belts if you seen formation of cracks replace it, any sign of oil leak kung meron pagawa agad.

additional:
    change oil, filter and fuel filter na din

and last dont forget to bring atleast 1gal of extra water for emergency purpose only.

let see what others will say baka may idagdag pa sila, lets wait

good luck

Dagdag lang, pag check po ng wheel mechanicals, pa check niyo na din ang balance/alignment, condition, at inflation ng tires niyo including the reserve. Make sure you have a small but strong flashlight and, if possible, a tire pump and emergency repair manual.

Good luck on your trip sir, and be careful always.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    maraming salamat po sir esnie.com and pup2. im going to have it check all the things that you said .

help: conditioning my car?