New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Sorry for the newbie question... but what is it about cars being able to go from manila to baguio...? pag may nadidinig akong usapan tungkol sa pagkuha ng bagong sasakyan, parang palaging nasasama ito... kaya nga ba ng minicab ang pagakyat sa baguio at makabalik...?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    At best a trip to Baguio with a fully-laden car is a test of torque---how well your car will cope with the load of people and their baggage, as well as the inclined roads. The NLEX and national roads going from Manila to La Union will test your car's power output at speed.

Once you're in Benguet, the roads will tax your car differently. Going to Baguio, Kennon Road is much less strenuous on the engine than Marcos Highway is. Marcos has long uphill gradients that will severely test your radiator and cooling system especially in a low-powered car. Because of Kennon's winding nature, the straight climbs are much shorter and gentler, but the famous road will test your tires, brakes and steering.

I remember our old fully-laden Kia Pregio having to stop for about 5 minutes midway through the drive up Marcos Highway because it was close to getting overheated. After the brief cool-down rest, it made the climb without any other incidents.

I guess it goes without saying that before going on such long trips, you should make sure the systems I mentioned are in top condition.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    yup gusto ko rin i test drive sa baguio outtie ko september 07 ko pa na purchase bale 565 km palang natakbo para matest yung fuel consumption and handling and if possible top speed sana kaso di parin natutuloy and kung natuloy pasok na sana sa first 1000 pms pagbalik

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the info type!!! now what i need is that if anyone has tried taking a suzuki minicab to baguio without any problems...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    also, people (at least the catholics amongst us, yours truly included) like to go to manaoag to have their new vehicles blessed. and it's just 1 more hour to baguio after manaoag so why not di ba.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    also, people (at least the catholics amongst us, yours truly included) like to go to manaoag to have their new vehicles blessed. and it's just 1 more hour to baguio after manaoag so why not di ba.
    totally agree.. eto yung ginawa ko.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoj666 View Post
    yup gusto ko rin i test drive sa baguio outtie ko september 07 ko pa na purchase bale 565 km palang natakbo para matest yung fuel consumption and handling and if possible top speed sana kaso di parin natutuloy and kung natuloy pasok na sana sa first 1000 pms pagbalik
    Now that I think about it, such long trips are perfect for breaking new cars in.

As for fuel consumption...you have a much better chance of finding out how miserly your car is with gas if you split the trip into segments. e.g. The first segment can be for the NLEX, the second for MacArthur Highway, and third for your choice of road going to Baguio.

Chances are, you will record better fuel economy on the highway segment because there won't be as many hills and inclines you have to climb, so you'll use less fuel. I recorded my best fuel consumption this way. Throwing in uphill segments has a noticeable difference in consumption, especially when fully loaded.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Varn View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question... but what is it about cars being able to go from manila to baguio...? pag may nadidinig akong usapan tungkol sa pagkuha ng bagong sasakyan, parang palaging nasasama ito... kaya nga ba ng minicab ang pagakyat sa baguio at makabalik...?
    I've already seen a QC government Multicab up in Baguio before. These things really take a beating when you see them in the provinces like in Mindanao. Just make sure your compression is healthy, cooling system is okay and belts are good. A tachometer will also come in handy actually if yours doesnt have.

For me, i don't fully judge the real overall performance of a car until i've driven it to Baguio as this takes a lot of conditions (such as medium to high speed overtaking along McArthur Highway, climbs and open highway).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    more often than not...people are breaking in their new rides...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    more often than not...people are breaking in their new rides...

And yes, we've been doing that all the time....

5101:pcwhack:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Can You Take your new ride To Baguio?