New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Well, at first, the owner denied having driven the car sa baha but eventually umamin din. Now i don't really know kung totoo na 6 inches deep nya nilusong sa baha. But the thing is, of all places bakit sa lowest part ng engine ang breather which is not common sa mga vehicles. So ang nangyari is, humigop talaga ng tubig and went to the intake manifold. Regarding the location of the aircon compressor which is attached to the crankcase, parang hindi safe for the compressor and the crankcase. I still trust yung naka bracket sya sa midlevel of the engine. Ang tendency, since may mga kalsada tayo na bako-bako, it might hit hard on something, not only will you have problem with the compressor but likewise sa crankcase. That's just my opinion.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well at first he denied it then second he admitted it, 6 inches? baka naman 16 inches? the owner should have casa shopped, one reason we are buying brand new cars is the warranty...impossibleng hindi kaya ng casa...poor decision

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I'm not going to question whether or not water entered the engine, but most defintely it did not enter through any breather. The Focus, and all EFI gas powered cars built since the '90's do not have breathers that vent into the atmosphere. In order to reduce emissions, breathers of all current cars vent into the intake system, not into the atmosphere.

Now supposing it did have such a breather, water cannot enter through the tube since there is a one-way valve (PCV). My first car was a 1974 Toyota Corona - it had a 12R engine with a breather tube that extended down to the level of the oil pan - in spite of driving the car in floods many times (including a few where water entered the cabin - I was young and invincible!), I never suffered from water injestion. So even if the Focus did have a very non-emissions compliant breather, water should not be able to enter it anyway.

It is possible that the tube that the mechanic saw was just part of the exhaust gas recirc system (EGR), and in that case, any water entering that system will just go down the exhaust piping and not into the engine.

What the Focus does have is an air duct just above the front grille - a design shared with many Euro cars, even the Nissan Cefiro has it. Think of it as an OEM cool air intake. The inlet is safely positioned and should prevent any water entering the intake - unless the driver allowed the bow wave to crest over the hood, and that goes well beyond the definition of "normal" driving.

Lets be careful about criticizing the Focus when the real problem may be with the owner. Consider these two points - 1. IF the problem really was a design fault or factory defect on his car, then why didn't he insist that Ford fix it (for free of course)? 2. Could it be that he drove the car through a flood, suffered water injestion through the air intake, tried to get warranty service from Ford and was dropped by Ford since what he did voided the engine warranty?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sentra
    I'm not going to question whether or not water entered the engine, but most defintely it did not enter through any breather. The Focus, and all EFI gas powered cars built since the '90's do not have breathers that vent into the atmosphere. In order to reduce emissions, breathers of all current cars vent into the intake system, not into the atmosphere.

Now supposing it did have such a breather, water cannot enter through the tube since there is a one-way valve (PCV). My first car was a 1974 Toyota Corona - it had a 12R engine with a breather tube that extended down to the level of the oil pan - in spite of driving the car in floods many times (including a few where water entered the cabin - I was young and invincible!), I never suffered from water injestion. So even if the Focus did have a very non-emissions compliant breather, water should not be able to enter it anyway.

It is possible that the tube that the mechanic saw was just part of the exhaust gas recirc system (EGR), and in that case, any water entering that system will just go down the exhaust piping and not into the engine.

What the Focus does have is an air duct just above the front grille - a design shared with many Euro cars, even the Nissan Cefiro has it. Think of it as an OEM cool air intake. The inlet is safely positioned and should prevent any water entering the intake - unless the driver allowed the bow wave to crest over the hood, and that goes well beyond the definition of "normal" driving.

Lets be careful about criticizing the Focus when the real problem may be with the owner. Consider these two points - 1. IF the problem really was a design fault or factory defect on his car, then why didn't he insist that Ford fix it (for free of course)? 2. Could it be that he drove the car through a flood, suffered water injestion through the air intake, tried to get warranty service from Ford and was dropped by Ford since what he did voided the engine warranty?
    I agree with you on this I just measured where 6" would be in my car and it can barely reach the oil pan. I think the water was most likely 16" and not 6" high. Also why would you take it to an outside mechanic if you believe it should be under warranty all that does is void the warranty.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hmm..buti nalang never pa lumusong sa baha bimmer ko, meron air duct sa grill, 2 pa nga one for alternator and 2nd one for air intake

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The owner, accompanied by the mechanic , actually brought the car to the casa but according to those in charge that parts are not readily available and it may take sometime to arrive from the source. That is when the owner asked the mechanic to proceed fixing it since he needs the car for his endeavors. warranty wise, surely void na once touched by mechanic other than those from ford

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    ^Hindi na ata uso ang lowered na tsikot ngayon. Maybe ten years ago, marami-maraming EG and EK Civic na naka-lowered but these days I hardly see any new or late model cars that are lowered with the exception of a few college/high school kids.
    Ops, matatamaan si sir hens nyan...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Baka naman 6' at hindi 6"!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman
    Never daw dinaan sa baha, pero umamin din na nilusong sa 6 in. of water. Ano ba talaga? :confused:

Baka naman isolated lang to, considering na rally car ang Focus.
    :lol:

Actually, it would take substantially more than even 16 inches to kill a Focus... it would have to be cresting the hood.

And, as Blacksentra says, there is no breather on the Focus. The very reason I got a Lynx before is that Ford/Mazda position their air intakes at hood level. As long as you can see your lights above the water, you're reasonably safe... not like in my Sentra before (anaknampu... forgot that it was an EFI and not a top-mount carb.... ahhh... memories) where the intake is at headlight level and the resonator at bumper level... or the Optra, where the intake is at bumper level.

And yes, the warranty is void... one look at the car and the mechanic would know that it was hydrolocked. It is impossible to get enough water into the engine without having your air intake fully submerged.

And yes, flood isn't covered by insurance either... tough for him.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    At isa pa, diba instead of breather, PCV + Charcoal canister na ang sumasalo nyan?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Ford Focus