New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    they use lower power coz it might break the chinese cvt transmission..
    CVT is by Punch Powertrain (A Belgian company now part of the Chinese Yinyi Group).

Punch Powertrain also supplies transmissions to Hyundai, Geely and used to supply to BMW for the older MINI models with a CVT.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Then why didn't they use the 6 speed auto transmission? The 6 speed torque converter is pretty reliable in my experience. The 1.5L ecoboost engine though... it tends to explode when driven hard so that's something to think about. I wouldn't trust that 1 year change oil interval. That's just asking for pre-ignition to happen.
    This is why the Focus is dead in the Philippines. After the DCT problem, turbo engine issues naman. Not everyone takes care of their cars well, so if a car needs to be babied to last long, chances are it won't.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Then why didn't they use the 6 speed auto transmission? The 6 speed torque converter is pretty reliable in my experience. The 1.5L ecoboost engine though... it tends to explode when driven hard so that's something to think about. I wouldn't trust that 1 year change oil interval. That's just asking for pre-ignition to happen.
    they probably don't have a chinese factory for the 6sp torq converter..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    This is why the Focus is dead in the Philippines. After the DCT problem, turbo engine issues naman. Not everyone takes care of their cars well, so if a car needs to be babied to last long, chances are it won't.
    The reason the Focus is dead in the Philippines is Ford stopped selling sedans and hatchbacks in Southeast Asia just like in North America. Instead it's focusing on more profitable segments like those of the SUVs and pickups.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    they probably don't have a chinese factory for the 6sp torq converter..
    The all-new Chinese market Ford Focus has an 8-speed torque converter automatic but this is basically a global model that's just being made in China.

The Territory is Ford & JMC's direct answer to other Chinese SUVs like the MG (Roewe) RX5, GAC GS4, Geely-something etc. It's basically designed and equipped rival other vehicles in its segment. Among the two popular transmission options in China (CVT & DCT), it looks like they opted for a CVT for obvious reasons even if more of its rivals seem to be using DCTs.

Interior should offer a lot of rear legroom.
    Last edited by AG4; July 18th, 2020 at 09:48 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    The reason the Focus is dead in the Philippines is Ford stopped selling sedans and hatchbacks in Southeast Asia just like in North America. Instead it's focusing on more profitable segments like those of the SUVs and pickups.
    Dude even when it was still on sale they barely sold anything. Of course the discontinuation of their sedans was imminent.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    The all-new Chinese market Ford Focus has an 8-speed torque converter automatic but this is basically a global model that's just being made in China. The Territory is Ford & JMC's direct answer to other Chinese SUVs like the MG (Roewe) RX5, GAC GS4, Geely-something etc. So it's basically designed and equipped like the other vehicles in its segment. Among the two popular transmission options in China (CVT & DCT), it looks like they opted for a CVT for obvious reasons even if many of its rivals have DCTs.
    The CVT is a fuel efficiency measure i guess ,inline with the other changes that were made to the engine (miller cycle, 48V motor) as JMC already had 6AT and 8AT transmissions that is mounted to more powerful engines

Yusheng S330 Engine code:JX4G15A5L 6AT 163HP/250NM JX4G15B5L(6MT variant)
    Landwind X7 8AT 163HP/250NM

The territory has a slightly different engine designation to the s330 (due to the changes ford made including an aluminum block instead of a cast iron one in the s330): JX4G15C5L for the 6MT and JX4G15C6L for the CVT.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Dude even when it was still on sale they barely sold anything. Of course the discontinuation of their sedans was imminent.
    C-segment sedans are dead here not unless you are a fleet favorite. Even among popular models, I barely see any of the new gen Mazda 3s and new gen Corolla Altises.

To this day many people still don't know the facelifted Focus Mk3 and facelifted EcoSport were equipped with torque converter automatics. Many insist they have the old dry-clutch Getrag Powershift DCTs
    Last edited by AG4; July 18th, 2020 at 10:13 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLZ View Post
    The CVT is a fuel efficiency measure i guess ,inline with the other changes that were made to the engine (miller cycle, 48V motor) as JMC already had 6AT and 8AT transmissions that is mounted to more powerful engines

Yusheng S330 Engine code:JX4G15A5L 6AT 163HP/250NM JX4G15B5L(6MT variant)
    Landwind X7 8AT 163HP/250NM

The territory has a slightly different engine designation to the s330 (due to the changes ford made including an aluminum block instead of a cast iron one in the s330): JX4G15C5L for the 6MT and JX4G15C6L for the CVT.
    I've been searching for info on the JX4G15C6L but couldn't find much, where did you see the info regarding the aluminum block? I just found basic info on the standard JX4G15 co-developed by AVL (Austrain company)

Google tagged the JX4G15 engine as a 4G15, so now many recent articles say it's a Mitsubishi engine, even if it's totally different.
    Layout is similar to the Ford and Mazda engines with the exhaust at the back and intake facing the radiator. Unlike Ford's 1.5, this I believe has a timing chain like Mazda's 1.5/1.6 and the bigger Duratec/MZR engines.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    C-segment sedans are dead here not unless you are a fleet favorite. Even among popular models, I barely see any of the new gen Mazda 3s and new gen Corolla Altises.

To this day many people still don't know the facelifted Focus Mk3 and facelifted EcoSport were equipped with torque converter automatics. Many insist they have the old dry-clutch Getrag Powershift DCTs
    Compact cars have been on a decline for the past 6-7 years or so, about the time b-segment CUVs started being mainstream. But even as a % of total pie, the Focus is dismal vs the top 2 (Civic and Altis). Mazda 3 was a strong 3rd before but the new model is too expensive for most buyers' taste so you rarely see any.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast