New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    that's true. mas fresh pa ang mga karne at isda sa palengke. i go to the palengke every saturday.

kulang talaga ung 8k na sweldo for a family of 5. what if you still need to rent your apartment? or what if you have an infant who is feeding on a formula(milk)? not to mention the diapers, medicine costs (kahit paracetamol yan it also cost a bit), vitamins (wala na cguro) and vaccines. di na cguro makakapagaral yong mga bata..

i think the basic salary should be at least 20k. sana libre yong health & education dito satin. and sana me allowance kahit konti ang mga bata.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Uhh, hello...

If you make 8K or less, STOP HUMPING!!!

Family of five my butt... Don't have the dough, don't have that much kids!

^^^^^^^^

this

:drool:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    obesity would be no more... :woot:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    *Juan,

to the best of my knowledge comparable ang prices sa SM Supermarket compared to the typical wet market. Because of Henry Sy's Evil Economies of Scale (TM) i.e. he can arm-twist the fishermen and farmers more.

Or maybe that's just me not wanting to set foot in the icky muddy wet market like I used to when I was a 7-year old kid accompanying my dad on Sunday mornings.

It's pretty much given with 8k salary there's nothing left for anything other than the basic necessities. Health care? pfft. Infant formula??!!! am lang ang katapat niyan!

No wonder so many poor kids are so tiny, undernourished, and dumb. They were deprived of appropriate nutrition when they were infants.

But I would like to point out that a lot of professionals here, me included, are also vulnerable. If I got sick for a year, I would technically get lumped with the homeless when HDMF repossesses the apartment we're paying for.

Maraming ganyan daw sa US na homeless, according to what I've read. They are respectable professionals who are living at the edge of their means. Then they get laid off and next thing you know bag lady sila.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    *Juan,

to the best of my knowledge comparable ang prices sa SM Supermarket compared to the typical wet market. Because of Henry Sy's Evil Economies of Scale (TM) i.e. he can arm-twist the fishermen and farmers more.

Or maybe that's just me not wanting to set foot in the icky muddy wet market like I used to when I was a 7-year old kid accompanying my dad on Sunday mornings.

It's pretty much given with 8k salary there's nothing left for anything other than the basic necessities. Health care? pfft. Infant formula??!!! am lang ang katapat niyan!

No wonder so many poor kids are so tiny, undernourished, and dumb. They were deprived of appropriate nutrition when they were infants.

But I would like to point out that a lot of professionals here, me included, are also vulnerable. If I got sick for a year, I would technically get lumped with the homeless when HDMF repossesses the apartment we're paying for.

Maraming ganyan daw sa US na homeless, according to what I've read. They are respectable professionals who are living at the edge of their means. Then they get laid off and next thing you know bag lady sila.

Just have to wonder how P8k/mo is enough. Is there a list of parameters on what a typical Pinoy family's expenses are? Seems like so much had been left out. It's true that many here leave near the edge of their means. We're well aware of the dangers. That's why we have a Hyundai instead of an Infiniti. If we both get laid off at the same time, we still have my retirement pension to fall back on although we'll have to move to an apartment. That's why we've thought of moving to the Philippines as soon as our daughter's old enough to move out. She can stay with her cousins while the wife and I move to the Philippines.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Juan,

I cannot speculate on what the typical Pinoy family's expenses are. Nobody on this forum can speculate. Because the mere fact we're here chitchatting over the internet, we're in the top 5% of Philippine society.

And me at least am by no means rich! that 5% includes everyone from mid-tier government employees earning 20k a month, all the way up to Henry Sy. That's how twisted the economic structure is.

So no, there is no right answer to the typical Pinoy family's expenses.

But, I can extrapolate. No need to go into the details but to maintain your current lifestyle back here, you would need maybe $4k to $5k per month. Less if you already have a house or land here.

Hm. Well I'm stuck in my hotel room in Beijing so might as well quantify that figure.

Let's say you are going for a 5M peso ($100k) house. Which is pretty decent, that will get you like a 3000 sq. ft. house in a modest development (not Forbes Park or Fort Bonifacio). This will cost you probably 60k pesos a month for ten years on the mortgage. That's like $1200/month.

You would probably want/need an SUV because your mid-size car will not be able to handle Manila's larger potholes. And for carting the extended family around. Let's say a Kia Sorento or a Toyota Fortuner, both around 1.4M peso. Assuming you don't buy it outright, that's probably another $1000+/month there.

Food, I think you can get by with say $200/month for food. That's already excessive. Ditto for the utilities. Fuel, probably another $200 to $400 (if you have two cars).

As I said, it'll end up around the $4k mark if you expect to maintain your quality of living over there.
    Last edited by orly_andico; March 11th, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that "stop humping" rule is a deal breaker for me

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    But, I can extrapolate. No need to go into the details but to maintain your current lifestyle back here, you would need maybe $4k to $5k per month. Less if you already have a house or land here.
    We have two choices. My wife owns a house in Tacloban City. I stand to inherit my folks' house in LPC (4-bedroom with just the two of them). We're not really sure about having a new house built.

Let's say you are going for a 5M peso ($100k) house. Which is pretty decent, that will get you like a 3000 sq. ft. house in a modest development (not Forbes Park or Fort Bonifacio). This will cost you probably 60k pesos a month for ten years on the mortgage. That's like $1200/month.
    Our house here's only 2200 sq ft (with 3-car garage). It's already kind of big for us. With just me and my wife, we wouldn't need as big a house if we moved to the Philippines and have one built from scratch. The house in LPC is big enough for us which is bigger than the house here.

You would probably want/need an SUV because your mid-size car will not be able to handle Manila's larger potholes. And for carting the extended family around. Let's say a Kia Sorento or a Toyota Fortuner, both around 1.4M peso. Assuming you don't buy it outright, that's probably another $1000+/month there.
    We won't travel that much except maybe to go back and forth between Metro Manila and Tacloban City. With all the establishments between RFC Mall and Alabang, we don't really need to travel far to buy stuff. We probably might not even need a car. I might if I decide to resume my BSME course in Mapua. But, that's up in the air.

Food, I think you can get by with say $200/month for food. That's already excessive. Ditto for the utilities.
    Neither my wife and I are particular about food. I mean here, we eat home-cooked Pinoy food 90% of the time. Internet I definitely want.

So, minus house and car payments in the Philippines..... I think we can live fairly comfortably (with neither of us working).

If Manila becomes too expensive, there's always Tacloban City.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 12th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Breadwinner Needs P8K Monthly Income to Support a Family of 5