New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Sabi nga nila diba? "In Durability, Nothing Beats a Well Oiled Engine"

Change oil lang ng change oil. Tatagal ang engine life.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    There's this product called PET, claiming that it contains the most slippery substance on earth. I'm not sure if it's classified as an oil additive, but according to the manufacturer, its job is to stick to metal parts and reduce friction.

We tried the product on an oldschool Toyota (12R engine). When the shop failed to replace the oil after draining the old one, the car travelled from Alabang to Quiapo and back. The engine did not fail at all. But even so, I cannot be sure if that was because of PET or the 12R is simply too durable.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May difference sa mga lumang oto usually dahil worn out na mga walls and seals, but with well conditioned engines, makes no diff.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    wag na ksi dagdagan, ingat nga lang sa mga fake oils, buy lang sa trusted dealers...Marami daw fake castrol, lalo sa duty free shops....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    There's this product called PET, claiming that it contains the most slippery substance on earth. I'm not sure if it's classified as an oil additive, but according to the manufacturer, its job is to stick to metal parts and reduce friction.

We tried the product on an oldschool Toyota (12R engine). When the shop failed to replace the oil after draining the old one, the car travelled from Alabang to Quiapo and back. The engine did not fail at all. But even so, I cannot be sure if that was because of PET or the 12R is simply too durable.
    Chlorinated additives + motor oil + heat = hydrocholoric acid

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I drive a 94 Corolla GLi which was casa-serviced for 5-7 years. I've been putting Pertua oil additive (locally made) for the past 5 years and it seems to run better since. I've tried oil changes without adding it it and it doesn't run as well. It even out sprints my 2003 CRV which supposedly has a 40 horsepower advantage. It's sounds like a tale from a taxi driver but it does really work and costs only P 350-400.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    pertua yan ata yun filipino invented and was used on apache helicopters

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    most fuel additives just thicken your existing oil. it would be cheaper to use a thicker oil during your oil change than using regular oil plus the cost of an oil additive. assuming ofcourse that the reason for improved performance is due to worn walls and seals.

the Teflon(R) PTFE will NOT stick to the metal, but will most likely clog up your fuel filter.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Pertua, yan yong local counterpart ng Tribotech sa States, invented by Pedro(???) Simon, kapatid ng dating mayor ng QC. Meron pa ba nyan dito sa Pinas? kala ko wala na... ang tagal na nyan di ba? My friends told me that the quality of Pertua now is not the same sa before.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I like this chapter most:

Chapter 11 - The Racing Perspective
    Among the most convincing testimonials in favor of oil additives are those that come from professional racers or racing teams. As noted previously, some of the oil additive products actually are capable of producing less engine friction, better gas mileage and higher horsepower out put. In the world of professional racing, the split-second advantage that might be gained from using such a product could be the difference between victory and defeat.
    Virtually all of the downside or detrimental effects attached to these products are related to extended, long-term usage. For short-life, high-revving, ultra-high performance engines designed to last no longer than one racing season (or in some cases, one single race), the long-term effects of oil additives need not even be considered.
    Racers also use special high-adhesion tires that give much better traction and control than our normal street tires, but you certainly wouldn't want to go touring on them, since they're designed to wear out in several hundred (or less) miles. Just because certain oil additives may be beneficial in a competitive context is no reason to believe they would be equally beneficial in a touring context.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't know about it because they won't tell you that in their advertisement or endorsement. Sad.

Nice write-up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Truth about Oil Additives (AGAIN)