New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    If there is a smell then its highly likely that its a misfire since what youre smelling is unburnt gasoline

Which goes back it to being a ignition coil/spark plug issue

Less likely would be a sensor issue
    Yup there's smell talaga. I'll definitely insist on the ignition coil then.

Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    swerte ka pa umabot 14yrs. yin sa akin 7years palit na lahat. ang tell tale sign ko hiccups during acceleration at medyo uneven idle
    9 yrs though 41k lang mileage ko. Wala akong symptoms or tell tale signs at all. My car kinda drives and smells like new (I take pride in it) Kaya na shock ako bigla na lang naging maalog tapos may amoy gas na na ewan [emoji24] Nahihilo pa naman ako sa amoy na ganun

More than a year na din pala since my last change oil kasi I follow the mileage 5k e that takes me more than than a year

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    cathy,

if you don't know yet what's causing the engine running rough, even without a code reader or a good quality scan tool, you can find out what is causing it and which cylinder is giving problems.

here's what you do.
    after removing the top plastic cover above the cylinder head (if not yet removed), run the engine at idle and disconnect the ignition coil connector from each cylinder one by one. if the engine rpm does not change with the ignition coil disconnected, that cylinder is dead. reconnect the coil back on line, continue disconnecting the other cylinder the same exact procedure again noting for a drop in engine rpm. if you find which cylinder is not contributing to the engine output, shut the engine off and switch the ignition coil of the dead cylinder with another.
    repeat the procedure. if the dead cylinder transfers to the one with a possibly bad coil, now you'll know it is the ignition coil. if not, it might be some other cause. do not worry about the 14.5 volts running in the ignition coil feed wires, they will not cause you discomfort.

before coil-on-plug ignition, i used to listen to the misfire using the AM (amplitude modulation) band of the car's radio for static which increases the ticking as the engine speed increases. this might still work with newer ignition systems if the high voltage components are not shielded.
    when the misfire is resolved, have the diagnostic trouble codes P0300, P0301, P0302,P0303 and P0304 erased or you can leave them as they will extinguish the MIL (malfunction indicator light, not mother in law when there are no detected misfires after about 50 start-run-shut downs of at least 5 miles each.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; March 14th, 2023 at 08:26 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    I had one experience with my gas-fed Innova before. felt an engine vibration, but I can't recall if there was an engine power loss. malapit lang kasi yung casa sa amin.
    buong akala ko ay engine support lang ang problema pero nung na check kong maigi ay hindi yon ang issue. once na kasi meron akong experience sa civic na parang ganoon ang problema nya at engine support lang ang culprit.

it turned out that one ignition coil was busted. our SA only suggested replacing the busted part. The age of my Innova at that time was around 10 years old. IIRC, their charges were reasonable.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I want to rant about my 2014 Altis. It only has 41k kms, rarely used and yet I am having problems. It's the first batch of Gen 11 kasi, got it on the first month it was released kaya feeling ko dami pang bugs

I was driving it today when suddenly I felt the car shaking while on stop (drive and pressing on the brake) Idling went down to 800. I thought it was just a glitch but it went on until I got home (more or less 5 kms). It felt like I was driving on rumble strips and the engine had a hard time going up to 2000 rpm at 60/80 kph. The car was really shaking even on neutral. Good thing I made it home
    Try this Cathy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEyiKJPc4yQ

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Shocking. I thought Toyota was supposed to have bulletproof reliability.

Anyway, wala ba check engine light?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Shocking. I thought Toyota was supposed to have bulletproof reliability.

Anyway, wala ba check engine light?
    it is (tongue in cheek).
    but as in everything man-made,
    "they's relative".

no car lasts forever.
    heh heh.

there are many stories of toyotas still driving serviceably, even as one cylinder is dead.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

no car lasts forever.
    heh heh.
    I agree. But a 9 year old toyota with 41k km having this issue is a different thing altogether. Doesn't exactly spell bulletproof reliability. Baka timing lang talaga.

Hope the problem gets fixed.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    there's no check engine light pag sira ignition coil

i've seen 2 altis same problem as Cathy's

madali lang palitan ang ignition coil

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    there's no check engine light pag sira ignition coil

i've seen 2 altis same problem as Cathy's

madali lang palitan ang ignition coil
    yes.

not all engine problems result in lit up MIL. it usually takes two trips for the light to turn on with the same malfunction noticed. a lot of "mechanics" rely on this MIL thinking it's a tell all. it still takes a good technician to do proper diagnosis. guesswork and anecdotal "yung kumpare ko ganito ang nangyari" is a hit or miss approach and usually a miss

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    No check engine light. Casa picked up my car na. The car jockey asked kung bagong detail yung car kasi ang kinis, I said alaga lang. So people still think it looks new pero old car problems 😭

Pinaandar pa ng car jockey while doing the checklist. Ang baho talaga ng amoy and when he drove off parang pumuputok yung tambucho 😭

I feel like crying seeing it drive off because I know if I had the money to buy a new vehicle, I need to let it go. I really took care of the car (personally doing the detailing) then this happens.

Also more than a year walang PMS, I kinda feel bad na it's my fault, but then again most of my cars naman talaga more than 1 yr ang PMS kasi I follow the 5k. 2 yrs pa nga, never had engine problems.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast