New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    i bought it brand new, could it be defective? the heating of the spring is generated electronically when i switch the ignition to 'ON'? did i get it right? anyway, i'll bring it to my supplier and have their mechanic take a look at it. i'll let my engine cool before i start it up. thanks.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    by the way, will the fuel (i.e. caltex,shell,petron, etc.) used have an effect on my hard starting? the caltex silver fuel which i'm currently using seems to have a lot of additives as my fuel filter and carb has reddish "mantsa".

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    i've just had my carb checked by my mechanic, the auto choke is working, he adjusted the idle rpm and the car started better, though when the rpm went up to 1000 when the engine warmed to working temperature. am still looking for any suggestions to get better fc... any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    just an update... my supplier replaced the carb i bought and i installed this last monday... engine ran smoother... but hard cold starting again... actually worse... left it with my mechanic and he noted that it seems the carb injects too small an amount of fuel... need to pump the accelerator pedal several times for it to start... what can i do to remedy the situation? help

5. Join Date
    May 2008
    priming the 2E carb is a must before starting. no electronic controls just an accelerator cable. E10 only made it worse. also the fuel pump is mechanical and the engine has to be running for gasoline to flow to the carb. different from the gli that is fuel injected with an electric fuel pump that starts to pump the moment you turn the ignition on. before the fuel injected systems, electric fuel pumps provided better pressure thru the fuel lines for twin carb set ups.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    does that mean that even if i put in a new 2e carb or have my original 2e carb, i'll still have the same problem? maybe not just to the same degree? (re: less priming?)

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    yup, will still need to be primed. you can try depressing the gas pedal about halfway when you start up. let the cranking motion of the engine cause the fuel pump to flow the gas into the carb. personally, i prefer priming. i have seen to many engines revved unnecessarily when started with the gas pedal. its a finesse move that takes getting used too. not the best way to start up a cold engine. if you have ever tried starting a flooded engine, its something similar.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    thanks... i have tried the 'depressed' accelerator start... difficult to master...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I had a hard time cold starting my dad's 2E engined Corolla. It turns over and runs but dies right away when the gas is released. He told me to turn on the aircon before releasing the gas to force the revs to go up.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Ganyan din sa bigbody ko.. hard cold starting.. Ginagawa ko nlng.. Bago ko paandarin tapak sa pedal 2x habang nka on ung ignition.. den start...
    then, naka tapak lang ako sa gas pedal for 20-30 secs ng magaan para hnd mamatay ung engine den aun.. ok na.. kahit bitawan ko na ung pedal hnd na namamatay ung engine..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12