New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 542 of 655 FirstFirst ... 442492532538539540541542543544545546552592642 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 6542
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstealyourgirl View Post
    That’s a myth, sir. Synthetics are better in every possible way compared to non-synthetics. Advantage lang ng non-synthetics is usually the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, those guys from casa refused to use fully synthetic oil to my 20 year old vehicle. They said that they had a report about it saying the oil couldn't adhere much to the cylinder wall. They said that being an old car, the spaces in between are "much larger" compared when it was new. I really don't know, I just followed their advice. There is no way for me to measure the inside diameter of the cylinder and compare it with the piston diameter

Going back to the inquiry earlier. The oil they are using now is ECT 0W-30. 5W-30 is phased out, according to them.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Well, those guys from casa refused to use fully synthetic oil to my 20 year old vehicle. They said that they had a report about it saying the oil couldn't adhere much to the cylinder wall. They said that being an old car, the spaces in between are "much larger" compared when it was new. I really don't know, I just followed their advice. There is no way for me to measure the inside diameter of the cylinder and compare it with the piston diameter

Going back to the inquiry earlier. The oil they are using now is ECT 0W-30. 5W-30 is phased out, according to them.
    Regarding the old car, its a matter of using a thicker oil viscosity, not the fact that its synthetic. Old car engines are designed around thick oil weights thats why these newer 0w and 5w oil weights are not recommended.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Regarding the old car, its a matter of using a thicker oil viscosity, not the fact that its synthetic. Old car engines are designed around thick oil weights thats why these newer 0w and 5w oil weights are not recommended.

Then perhaps there wasn't available synthetic oil with the correct viscosity that will match will the old car when I inquired about it. Saving himself about explaining what the numbers stand for, he simply said that I just use mineral oil. Again, I really don't know.

Thank you for clearing this up.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cal0i View Post
    Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 provides:

Unsurpassed sludge protection – no other motor oil can keep your engine closer to factory clean 1
    Low viscosity and low friction characteristics for up to 1.9% greater fuel economy
    Superior wear and corrosion protection
    Easier cold starting
    For gasoline, diesel and gas engines; also suitable for biodiesel and gasoline/ethanol blends
    Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; MB approval 229.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2

Taken from: Access Denied
    Ito ang hindi ko maintindihan sa shell oils for diesel engines. Bakit hanggang API CF lang sya but then anlot of casas use this for API CI engines?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    Ito ang hindi ko maintindihan sa shell oils for diesel engines. Bakit hanggang API CF lang sya but then anlot of casas use this for API CI engines?
    Because that oil is primarily for gasoline engines. It can be applied to Diesel engines that can take CF oils. It's the same deal with Toyota's Full-Synth oil. It's also SN/CF, that's why I decided to stay away from it (I have a Diesel).

It's basically harder to make an oil that can satisfy the highest API rating for both gasoline and Diesel applications in a single bottle. They do exist, though (ie. SN/CJ-4)... just rare, and probably expensive.

Gasoline and Diesel engines produces different by-products during combustion. It is best to use a dedicated oil with the correct API rating that is meant for the type of engine you have (gasoline or Diesel). This guarantees that the supplied additives are sufficient to counter the effects of the engine's combustion by-products.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Then perhaps there wasn't available synthetic oil with the correct viscosity that will match will the old car when I inquired about it. Saving himself about explaining what the numbers stand for, he simply said that I just use mineral oil. Again, I really don't know.

Thank you for clearing this up.
    Thats right sir hehe. No problem [emoji106]

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Because that oil is primarily for gasoline engines. It can be applied to Diesel engines that can take CF oils. It's the same deal with Toyota's Full-Synth oil. It's also SN/CF, that's why I decided to stay away from it (I have a Diesel).

It's basically harder to make an oil that can satisfy the highest API rating for both gasoline and Diesel applications in a single bottle. They do exist, though (ie. SN/CJ-4)... just rare, and probably expensive.

Gasoline and Diesel engines produces different by-products during combustion. It is best to use a dedicated oil with the correct API rating that is meant for the type of engine you have (gasoline or Diesel). This guarantees that the supplied additives are sufficient to counter the effects of the engine's combustion by-products.
    Hindi lang gasoline engine oil, all of shell’s diesel engine oil is up to CF even their highend helix ultra oil.
    Mas mura pa ang caltex delo and Zic x7 oils na CJ-4 rating na.
    Why would Shell, being one of the largest oil companies in the world not have CJ compliant oils sa helix line?
    (Meron sila CK oil sa rotella line na pang heavy duty diesel na mas pang commercial/truck line)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Hindi lang gasoline engine oil, all of shell’s diesel engine oil is up to CF even their highend helix ultra oil.
    Mas mura pa ang caltex delo and Zic x7 oils na CJ-4 rating na.
    Why would Shell, being one of the largest oil companies in the world not have CJ compliant oils sa helix line?
    (Meron sila CK oil sa rotella line na pang heavy duty diesel na mas pang commercial/truck line)

Maybe hindi pumasa or hindi nila pinatest yung Helix Ultra for CJ-4. As far as I know, malaking pera din ang binabayad nila para makuha yang mga certification na yan.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Maybe hindi pumasa or hindi nila pinatest yung Helix Ultra for CJ-4. As far as I know, malaking pera din ang binabayad nila para makuha yang mga certification na yan.

But Shell is bigger than caltex or zic naman siguro. Barya lang sa kanila ang certification for sure esp mababawi naman sa sales

10. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    But Shell is bigger than caltex or zic naman siguro. Barya lang sa kanila ang certification for sure esp mababawi naman sa sales

That’s the only logical reason I can think of. Didn’t test for a more modern API C certification maybe because they did not see it as a necessity. Besides, they are ACEA B4 compliant. That rating is more or less equivalent to API CH.

ACEA = European
    API = American

Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?