Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ParticleX View Post
    Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

TL;DR
    • low filter efficiency
    • low dirt capacity
    • hign % of dirt passed
    • good air flow
    search results for piston and cylinder damage by dirt thru air filter are nice lol

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe what ts means by "worth it" is not refering to performance but cost, since changing oem filters at the casa is quite harmful to his wallet? He has a 2016 fortuner so i assume it was casa maintained the past 3 years. A reusable filter, after all, costs less than 2 of the price of the oem. If so, then he needs to balance his savings on replacing oem filters vs the additional wear and tear the ocb filter will result to to his engine. Would ordinary (non-ocb) replacement filters be a better solution to ts' intents? They are priced a third of the cost of oem filters. Do these replacement filters equal the filtratiion efficiency of oem?
    Last edited by yebo; March 6th, 2019 at 04:25 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    k&ns for our vehicles cost north of 5000 each. the recharging kit at around 1000 din. some would use 2T or other oils though.

oem filters costs at around 1100-1300. i dust them with an air compressor every 5000KM, and replace every 15000KM

roi is only achieved at the fifth air filter change which is 75000KM

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    for low mileage use and when periodic maintenance is done once or twice a year, then an oem disposable air filter is just right. in my case, i do PMS minimum 3 times a year so i opted for a washable type air filter. iirc, oem air filter is P1.2k in casa, so thats P3.6k a year budget. my vehicle is more than 6 yrs old/185k+ kms now so i must have spent about P21.6k equiv for air filter alone if i'd stick to oem. the washable air filter was 4.2k back then and still in good shape and do its job until now. sulit na and the savings i had if you convert it to liters of fuel, ilang daang litro din yun. and so far, wala naman isyu sa engine cause by dirt or other particles na nakapasok sa engine internals probably thru air intake.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    If TS is after longevity of engine and saving cost then aftermarket cheap good quality filters are everywhere.

The sakura air filter cost P200 or less, for regular use i'd replace them twice or thrice a year.

Same with oils and other filters, get the cheapest but good quality, even if you frequently replace them(2-3x more) its still cheaper than casa parts. Replace them frequently and your car will last loong.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    man that engine will last 300,000- 500,000km

using these highflow airfilters filters will reduce that number to some extent.

how long do you really want to keep that fortuner?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    If TS is after longevity of engine and saving cost then aftermarket cheap good quality filters are everywhere.

The sakura air filter cost P200 or less, for regular use i'd replace them twice or thrice a year.

Same with oils and other filters, get the cheapest but good quality, even if you frequently replace them(2-3x more) its still cheaper than casa parts. Replace them frequently and your car will last loong.
    This is what I do too. I change the air filter (replacement only) with every oil change interval or 5,000 kms.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    My personal take: if your ride is stock and you plan to keep it for a long time, just use the oem filter.

If you want to save on air filters by using reusable Hurricane or K&N at least be informed that they do not filter as well as oem and will cause accelerated wear over time.

If you plan to get more power via reflash/chip and the tune requires more air than the stock airbox can provide, then start thinking about getting a freer flowing intake.

Even then there are other options that can provide more air while filtering at the same micron level as oem. Clue: all the filter media used are paper.
    I agree with your findings because there are evidences now showing how this so called reusable filters can not filter out as good as those O.E. type filters.

Be careful guys on what you install on your cars especially air filters that claim to be washable performance filters, it will shorten the lifespan of your engine and make it more inefficient faster than normal as time goes by using re-usable "performance" filters.

K&N and BMG filters tested in the United States of America:

1. Which Car Air Filter is Best? Let's find out! Fram, K&N, Wix, Purolator, & AC Delco showdown - YouTube

2. Do performance air filters like BMC, K&N, Sprint let more sand and dust than OEM and is it worth it? - YouTube

K&N filters checked by Master Garage PH, apparently sand and other much smaller particles are going through K&N's air filter even with oil applied from K&N recharger.

Gen 3 Montero Air filter? todas!! - Master Garage - Cavite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12