New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Tried searching here if merong reviews on Hurricane engine air filters pero wala akong nakita. So I am asking if installing one is worth it. My ride is a Fortuner 2016 diesel...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^How much is the Hurricane? Perhaps you may want K&N instead. Well received by racers and tuning shops alike.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Tried searching here if merong reviews on Hurricane engine air filters pero wala akong nakita. So I am asking if installing one is worth it. My ride is a Fortuner 2016 diesel...
    Ito yun stainless steel mesh filter diba. Better K&N I think. meron dito sa Navara forum 12vdc shared ata the picture yun impeller ng turbo nag wear out slowly destroying the turbo over time. I guess the steel mesh did not filter the finer particles enough.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    100$ is barya for you.. get it with an ecu reflash with dyno..

dont forget fluids intervals

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My personal take: if your ride is stock and you plan to keep it for a long time, just use the oem filter.

If you want to save on air filters by using reusable Hurricane or K&N at least be informed that they do not filter as well as oem and will cause accelerated wear over time.

If you plan to get more power via reflash/chip and the tune requires more air than the stock airbox can provide, then start thinking about getting a freer flowing intake.

Even then there are other options that can provide more air while filtering at the same micron level as oem. Clue: all the filter media used are paper.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    i'll go for K&N as well. my 2012 old suv had it since and now its over 185k+ kms and still using the same K&N air filter.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    i'll go for K&N as well. my 2012 old suv had it since and now its over 185k+ kms and still using the same K&N air filter.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Same here.

I've had no problems with it. Even my fd2 is fitted w/ one.

do what you gotta do so you can do what you wanna do

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    K&n din gamit ko. Hesitant ako dati kasi sabi nila di daw gano nakakafilter ng husto, na mas ok daw un oem. Pero bumili pa din ako kasi ang mahal nung oem. After 20k km na gamit un k&n, tinignan ko un loob ng ng air filter box, malinis, pinunasan ko pa ng tissue para makita kung malinis talaga. After 43k km un maf sensor naman ang tinignan ko, malinis din.
    Magkaiba ang hurricane at k&n filters. Dun ka na sa tested

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Just reposting BITOG Jim Allen's take on oiled filter media:

An oiled cotton gauze filter (OCG), and K&N is only one manufacturer of them, is at the low end of the efficiency scale amongst the available filters, both OEM and aftermarket (excluding offshore, noname junk) . It doesn't fall below the "industry standard" of about 97 percent on coarse test dust (in fact most OCG will show about 98+). It's likely a K&N (which is probably the best of the OCG filters out there) would meet the minimum standard for efficiency required by most vehicle and engine manufacturers, outside of commercial agricultural and heavy duty applications. Remember... minimum standard.

So yes, you can safely say OCG filters are "adequate" in the efficiency department but they are nowhere near the top of the food chain there. In general, they are chosen for their high flow rates and longevity. This is why they are synonymous with performance engines. Performance engines are usually operated in fairly clean environments, because they are fun vehicles rather than daily drivers or workers, or they are used where the rigors of racing will overcome the engine long before the increased wear from less-than-stellar filtration efficiency. And if a vehicle operates in what is largely a clean-air venue, air filter efficiency is less an issue.

IMO, OCG filters are a legacy product from the days when OE air filter efficiency was generally low, flow rates were abysmal (it was the housing design as much as the elements) and when you used the old filters in dusty environments, they plugged up quickly. A K&N was a Godsend in that situation. You got an air filter that let your engine actually BREATHE, it held a lot of dirt, plus the efficiency was about the same as the filter you replaced and often better. What was not to like! You were an idiot not to glom on!

Air filter technology has marched well past those days. The OEM are largely designing filter systems that have adequate if not superior airflow to more than meet the engine's needs (there are exceptions, of course). Average efficiency is 96-97% plus on FINE test dust (99+ on coarse) and capacity has doubled or tripled versus the olden days. In that environment, it's harder for a OCG filter to compete based on the facts but legend and lore are carrying them beyond their era a bit.

With any engine, cleaner air is best from the wear standpoint as the dirt that comes in from the intake is the worst for the engine and it can begin a chain reaction of wear... wear begets wear. And you want a filter that gets out a lot of the fines because the fines are the bits that get between the rings and cylinder the easiest, causes damage there and then gets into the oil and because these fines (1-20 um) are usually too small to be caught by the oil filter in large numbers, so they continue to circulate and cause wear.

In the past decade or so, air filter rating has been standardized to the ISO 5011 protocol but remember one important fact... the test allows the use of EITHER coarse or fine test dust. In evaluating filters, you need to know which. A filter that shows 98 percent on coarse will show 92-94 percent on fine. If you see a rating and it doesn't specify which, assume coarse because those are the best braggin' numbers. And yes, you can find filters that will produce 99+ percent on FINE and those are the best choices for engine longevity. Remember that a finer filter may have a shorter service life, but the modern synthetic media filters can combine high capacity with high efficiency. Short service life is more an issue with high efficiency cellulose media filters but even then, this can be accounted for by an increase in media (more pleats) or a larger filter (if the package size will permit... i.e. more underhood room for a larger filter).

So, I guess the question you have to ask yourself... and I won't call you a punk like DIrty Harry might... what is it you want to achieve? If it's a stock vehicle used as transportation, what's the advantage to likely taking a hit in the efficiency department? If it's a high performance car and you are considering an improvement for performance sake, the OCG choice is nearer the mark but consider that many of the dry aftermarket elements, like the one you mentioned, usually have efficiency superior to OCG but with virtually equal flow rates per square inch of media and if they don't, they just engineer MORE media in the filter to make it so. I could quote chapter and verse on some of the media I've looked at, but since I've done all that before, I'll suggest you just look back at my past posts.

Final thoughts here. I was given a chart by an engineer at Parker filtration that illustrates very well the effects of low vs high efficiency air filtration.

Code:
    For Every 10 Pounds of Dust Drawn Into the Air Filter Inlet:

EFFICIENCY OF FILTER DUST INTO ENGINE

99.95% 0.005 lbs.
    99% 0.10 lbs.
    95% 0.50 lbs.
    90% 1.0 lbs.
    Not saying K&N is bad, just thought the more informed people are about it, the better.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

TL;DR
    • low filter efficiency
    • low dirt capacity
    • hign % of dirt passed
    • good air flow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast