New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    bullet,
    Hope this does not come across the wrong way, but are you sure you checked the correct dipstick- the engine oil dipstick and not the one for the auto tranny? I can't imagine draining the oil pan and still get a full reading on the dipstick.8O

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    overfilling oil is bad for the engine...the excess oil will surely destroy the gasketts under the engine..and it's bad for the crankshaft.

just my .02

3. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Indeed it is harmful to the engine. My cousin over filled his L200 back in '96, without checking the level, he drove his truck, he heard gurgling noises, the engine sputtering then without warning, the truck revved so hard, thick, I mean really thick white smoke bellowed from the exhaust and the worse thing is the engine cannot be turned off! the traffic behind him cannot move on or overtake him because the smoke totally obscured their vision. It took about 3 minutes or so before a concerned motorist approached him and opened the air filter to choke the air intake with a cloth. The engine stopped but the damage has been done, piston rings and all. After the overhaul, he sold the pick-up.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet
    hi! t'was my 1st time to do a DIY change oil on my 99 intercooler turbo starex. after having drained the old oil from the pan, changed the oil filter and air filter, i proceeded to fill the engine with fresh oil. after only filling about 4 liters (the manual says oil pan capacity alone is 4.9 liters), i checked the level with the dipstick and i was petrified that the level was about an inch above the full mark. what are the dangers, if any, of overfilling? i tried to dry up the pan by draining again the oil from the pan but the level is still above the full mark. lessons i've learned: not all of the old oil is drained when changing oil; and jack up the car when crawling underneath! your two cents worth please! thanks!

After filling the recommended oil capacity in your sump you should start the engine to let some oil fill the newly installed oil filter then check for oil leaks as well. After shutting off the engine wait at least 15mins or better after an overnight parking, before checking the dipstick again. Remember to check the oil level while the car is parked on a level ground.

Overfilling your sump will cause the motor oil to foam and create to much pressure that oil will seek exit and ruin your crankshafts oil seals, gaskets, too much carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and other costly engine damage will result.

Its better to stick in between the maximum and the minimum mark of your dipstick! :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pajerokid
    OVERFILLING OIL IS A MAJOR NO NO!!!!!!!

Its better to have a little oil (Min level) than overfilling. As we know, oil pressure builds up as we increase revs. If you have to much oil, the pressure will build up excessively, thereby posing a serious threat to your oil seals!!! Although mura lang ang oil seals, ang hirap sobra palitan nyan!

You drain the excess oil through the same drain plug underneath. Be ready for some serious splashing! :D

In my diesel ride, i only put about 3/4 full (based on the dipstick).
    korek ka dyan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kailangan ba na start mo muna yung engine and after that shut off the engine before checking the oil dipstick? I was informed by Isuzu Manila to do that when checking the oil dipstick. Kasi pag hindi pa na start yung dipstick ay over sa maximum limit, but after na ma start at icheck yung oil level ay within the level requirement.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    reviving this thread.. i was about to ask the same question.. heck as a 1st time car owner, i thought it was only a mere observation when last year i had to drain the excess oil from my CRV due to a great loss of torque..
    2 weeks back, had a quick oil-change at a Shell station,, and the mechanic just overfilled my crank case,, nalingat lang ako sandali.. nung nagreklamo ako,, he told me "ala naman issue yan",, (he looks quite senior) , so di na ako nagreklamo.. now, here comes the issue again,, im loosing power na naman specially at low gear & during quick launches at traffic lights..

now confirming from this thread that excess oil is a NO NO,, kailan kaya matututo ang mga gasoline station guys na huwag mag-overfill ng oil, without explicitly reminding them? kakainis kasi,, DIY drain excess oil na naman ako..

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    overfilling the crankcase results in the engine oil being whipped by the connecting rods and the crankshaft creating foam of the engine oil. foam oil does not lubricate moving parts as well as liquid engine oil. the foam oil gets carried into the intake through the pcv valve and it serves as fuel inside the combustion chambers as mentioned by ibaloi. this unintentional temporary fuel supply can not be controlled and the runaway engine has a potential to self destruct because of uncontrolled engine speed. similar to claims about engines running wild, a novice driver panics and causes an accident causing harm to himself and/or other motorists.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I dont fill my crankcase up to the "F" level of my dipstick. I only fill it up to 3/4. Kapag overfill, sisirain nya ang mga engine gaskets which results to leaks. Also, kapag overfill, pahihirapan mo yung makina na mag-circulate ng oil sa buong makina, which will loose konting power (instead na ginagamit mo na - pag takbo ng sasakyan)..
    Para din sa tao kapag high blood pressure, maaring ma-damage mga ugat-ugat natin, di ba?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pajerokid View Post
    You drain the excess oil through the same drain plug underneath. Be ready for some serious splashing! :D

In my diesel ride, i only put about 3/4 full (based on the dipstick).
    You can avoid the splashing by opening up the crankcase cover just a little, enough to just let the oil drain through the plug slowly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
ENGINE OIL OVERFILLING DANGEROUS???