New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hi! t'was my 1st time to do a DIY change oil on my 99 intercooler turbo starex. after having drained the old oil from the pan, changed the oil filter and air filter, i proceeded to fill the engine with fresh oil. after only filling about 4 liters (the manual says oil pan capacity alone is 4.9 liters), i checked the level with the dipstick and i was petrified that the level was about an inch above the full mark. what are the dangers, if any, of overfilling? i tried to dry up the pan by draining again the oil from the pan but the level is still above the full mark. lessons i've learned: not all of the old oil is drained when changing oil; and jack up the car when crawling underneath! your two cents worth please! thanks!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    did you start the engine after refilling? did you change the oil filter?

if you changed the oil filter and did not start the engine before measuring the oil will go above the marker because some of the oil will still go to the filter. but if you did both and then there must be excess oil.

there will be too much pressure on the internals of the engine. most of the oil will probably go out of the breather. and the engine will sort of lose power.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it can either go into the firing chamber of your engine and burn together with the fuel thereby producing carbon.

or it can damage your fuel injection pump since it can mix with the fuel and create what we call a fuel dellusion. (tama kaya spelling ko?)

Doc Diesel

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks ARB. I did start the engine (let it idle for about 5-7 minutes) after changing the oil filter before taking a look at the dipstick. So there really is no real potential damage to the engine esp. at high RPM's? by the way, it's auto tranny.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks Doc Diesel! So how could I remove the excess oil? I've already emptied the oil pan...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    check mo again overnight. get the dip stick, wipe it and stick it back. repeat again check mo three times to be sure. he he.

me i dont go above the full mark, sometimes a tad lower than it. IMO lang i dont know if more is better.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Was your engine oil warm/hot when you first drained it? Warm oil will drain faster than cold oil.

Was the car parked on a level area when you checked the oil level? You'll get a higher reading on the dipstick specially if it's parked on an up slope with the dipstick at the back of the engine.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    jackaroo, t'was warm when first first drained it; and vehicle was on level surface.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OVERFILLING OIL IS A MAJOR NO NO!!!!!!!

Its better to have a little oil (Min level) than overfilling. As we know, oil pressure builds up as we increase revs. If you have to much oil, the pressure will build up excessively, thereby posing a serious threat to your oil seals!!! Although mura lang ang oil seals, ang hirap sobra palitan nyan!

You drain the excess oil through the same drain plug underneath. Be ready for some serious splashing! :D

In my diesel ride, i only put about 3/4 full (based on the dipstick).

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ung isuzu pick-up ko lagi sobra sa langis..kumakain kasi ng langis un eh..so pagnagdadagdag ako..sumusobra naman..

kaya pag change oil sagot na ng mekaniko namin un.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
ENGINE OIL OVERFILLING DANGEROUS???