New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to this subject so maybe we should start one now that all new diesel vehicles sold nowadays here in Da Pilipins have this component as part of the exhaust systems.

We all know what it does and how expensive it can be to replace a DPF, but what about proper maintenance to avoid all the hassles and expense if one is clogged up and needing replacement?

The common rule is to drive your diesel vehicle for at least 1 hour at 90 to 100 KpH minimum at least once every 2 weeks to create 'regeneration' conditions that will allow the DPF to burn all of that nasty residue from the un-burned diesel.

Here is my question though, what if you only use your car once or twice a week around the city and nearby areas for short periods of time only, do you still need to do a regeneration run every 2 weeks or will once a month be sufficient?

Your expert opinions are most appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    DPF equipped diesels aren't the ideal choice if one's route is short & slow. They are a known migraine source. Once they're clogged & the DPF light pops, even active regeneration will be helpless. Removal, cleaning or replacement are required...The procedure is tedious & costly. In Europe & Oz, many have resorted to DPF-Delete+ECU tweak til inspection time.
    DPF is advertised for the environment. A good guise for its other purpose..... dealership dependence. Be warned. Go petrol.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    I saw that video and another one from the Ozzie Guru. He does explain how a DPF warning light isn't always the end of the world for the filter.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    DPF equipped diesels aren't the ideal choice if one's route is short & slow. They are a known migraine source. Once they're clogged & the DPF light pops, even active regeneration will be helpless. Removal, cleaning or replacement are required...The procedure is tedious & costly. In Europe & Oz, many have resorted to DPF-Delete+ECU tweak til inspection time.
    DPF is advertised for the environment. A good guise for its other purpose..... dealership dependence. Be warned. Go petrol.[emoji4]

Thanks for the honest opinion Master Trav, dealership maintenance is something we all dread and try to avoid as much as possible of course. But surely with proper maintenance that dependence can be lessened?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Thanks for the honest opinion Master Trav, dealership maintenance is something we all dread and try to avoid as much as possible of course. But surely with proper maintenance that dependence can be lessened?
    I'll hold out & stay away from ticking time bombs. Thank you, sir![emoji4]
    Oh, they require low soot Full Synthetic DPF-Compatible ACEA C3 or higher oils, too.

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    I'll hold out & stay away from ticking time bombs. Thank you, sir![emoji4]
    Oh, they require low soot Full Synthetic DPF-Compatible ACEA C3 or higher oils, too.

Hehe, not many of us have the luxury of choice sir.

Thanks again for the additional suggestment. Drive safe!

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just bring the car to an expressway and give it a spirited run every two weeks or so. Take the Skyway and let it run up to what your nerves can manage.

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Just bring the car to an expressway and give it a spirited run every two weeks or so. Take the Skyway and let it run up to what your nerves can manage.
    Hehehe, my choice would be the NLEX from San Fernando all the way to Urdaneta and lunch at Dagupenas. I still love the boneless bangus steaks there and the binagoongang crispy pata which is to die for, literally

So it's every 2 weeks still. I guess that gives me an excuse to go out of town more often, hehehe.

Thanks for the advice Master E.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Hehehe, my choice would be the NLEX from San Fernando all the way to Urdaneta and lunch at Dagupenas. I still love the boneless bangus steaks there and the binagoongang crispy pata which is to die for, literally

So it's every 2 weeks still. I guess that gives me an excuse to go out of town more often, hehehe.

Thanks for the advice Master E.
    If you want to test how fast your ride can go, I suggest you take SCTEX to Subic route. The Clark-South to Floridablanca section is pretty much a no restriction zone. TPLEX is another option. Just watch out for a parked Innova or Ranger or Hilux but you will be able to see them far enough for you to slow down.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Diesel Particulate Filter Maintenance