New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Only your vehicle can tell kung ano hiyang sa kanya. In petrol cars, batteries last longer and I can appreciate no difference in longevity between low-maintenance (LMB) and maintenance free (MF) batteries.

Being in the 'tipid mode' at the moment, I currently use LMB which is about 1/3 of the the price of a good MF battery. MF are known to drop dead suddenly, something that I haven't experience yet with LMB, but had them twice with MF.

In the tropical countries , Low-Maitenance batteries are being recommended. I don't know how long the MF Motolite Enduro will last in my
    diesel but I will replace it with a LMB once expired.

See:
    https://www.pacificpowerbatteries.co...AQ/carfaq.html

http://batteryfaq.org/

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    Ok lang sa akin ang mantenance needed na batteries. kasi at least once or twice a month, I check my fluids. kasama na dito ang battery. I do this when I wash the car.

maintenance needed kasi ang stock na battery ng Avanza. GS ang brand
    IMHO, Maintenance-free kasi I can forget it for a year or two... but just make sure you get a good quality battery - yung GS parang dami ng news na palpak - pinapareacall na yata ng DTI yan.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I've had two Maintenance Free batteries die on me cold; the stock battery that came with my ride and the one I bought after it. The former gave out well past the warranty (good), the latter just four months shy of the warranty expiry (crap).

That's why I'm now seriously considering a Low Maintenance battery as my next purchase. Samahan ko na rin kaya ng voltmeter.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    LMB is best for me, but my pops went for MF. kabili lang nya kanina. oh well, it's his ride...

Tama yan Bogeyman. maganda may voltmeter. it's where I realized what's causing our old battery dying early. dahil pala sa dalawang strong condenser fan ng aircon. improvised kasi for better cooling. but the alternator could not cope with it.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    actually sa mga motorcycles mas advisable yun LM sa MF, mas tumatagal ang battery and mas ok matagtag. i don't know sa cars yet... but based on replies mas ok talaga yun LM. siguro pagtamad ka or hectic masyado sked mo ok yun MF, imho.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Maintenance Free is a nice worry free solution but they don't seem to last as long as Low-Maintenance Batteries. Just as the warranty expires, the battery will give way in a few weeks.

Maintenance Free is more expensive.

Motolite seem to be marketing their Low-Maintenance Batteries for public and commercial transport use. While their Maintenance Free are being targetted to the supposed premium markets of private vehicles.
    Keep in mind that number001 said "SEEM" and that he's only speaking from experience.

In my experience, MF batteries lasted longer than non-MF batteries.

Bottom line is, YMMV.

BTW, I have a tip for those who use non-MF batteries. A spill-free way to refill the batteries with distilled water is to use plastic catsup or mustard dispensers (like the ones they use at Shawarma outlets. Press it while its snout is inside the circular refilling hole, and immediately after releasing, you have about 1 or 2 seconds before a drop spills out.

HTH.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my experience is non-MF batteries last longer. siguro dahil alaga lang talaga.
    the longest non MF battery that i had used is around 4 years. for MFs, the longest is 3 years.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQ View Post
    IMHO, Maintenance-free kasi I can forget it for a year or two... but just make sure you get a good quality battery - yung GS parang dami ng news na palpak - pinapareacall na yata ng DTI yan.
    GS, I had a long long time bad experience with it, died just 4 months of use and never got a replacement. Sa galit ko pull-out ko na lang and then drop it on the floor and walk away.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    Dapat naman talaga thay we check under the hood at least once a month.
    am using low maintenance batt.,anywayz i check under the hood twice a week

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQ View Post
    I guess what it boils down to is what type of car owner you are. Kung masipag kang magkaka-kalikot under the hood, then go for a Low Manitenance battery. On the other hand, if you regularly "forget" (or don't normally bother to) look under the hood, then go for the Maintenace-free kind.

In my experience, I have had a lot of car batteries die on me because I often neglect to check their water levels. So, I now get Maintenance-free batteries. Even if technically, MF batteries supposedly wear out and die faster than LM batteries, if you don't regularly check the water levels then your LM battery will have a much shorter lifespan!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
No maintenance or Low maintenance Battery?